• Page:

TOPIC: DockBster lower unit freeze

DockBster lower unit freeze 2 years 8 months ago #145162

• g3bill
  • g3bill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Mark78a merc. Hadnt moved my g3 out in years. now remembering the lower unit has a bulg on the starboard side well above the prop shaft. The bulg has cracks . think this will be an easy fix? I dont know what the inside of the unit looks like, never had one apart. Next time i go out will take a pic
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

DockBster lower unit freeze 2 years 8 months ago #145176

Holey Moley Bill!!!
It's been a long time!
If you can post a picture of the cracked area, I can probably let you know if it is fatal or not.
There are several voids in the lower unit casting, that when not periodically back-flushed, can fill with wet crud and sand, etc.
Then when the cold weather hits and goes below freezing, this crud freezes, and expands cracking the lower unit.
If the fracture is in a void, and there is no gear oil leaking out of the crack,...It is possible that you can clean out the void, and J&B Weld up the crack.
Granted,...The ideal fix of this unit would be to have welded by a pro. Spendy for sure.
I might have a Mk78A shirt shaft lower unit , but I would have to dig deep.
Right now, I don't have any help, and I can no longer get into a boat and lay down, or work under the dash, or under the splash well at the transom.
doc
The following user(s) said Thank You: g3bill

DockBster lower unit freeze 2 years 8 months ago #145185

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thom, I've been going through hell the last couple years. Good to hear your ok though. I'll take a pic when i can. I wanted so much to come up there but my mom dragged me down before she passed away. I gained some weight and have enema in both legs and trying to reverse it.
Building and safety, lol, has made life miserable. Made me clean up lots of stuff and throw lots out. Then buglers stole most everything I had since I was 15. I dont even know if my old computer is still there with all the info. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Best, Bill

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

DockBster lower unit freeze 2 years 8 months ago #145187

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
lost my post? well heres pics. port side has a slight blow out and. paint stress marks at that plug? where is the water inlet on this funny motor.
btw do u still have the g3 trim pieces u said u were saving with my name on them? I had a box made up for them then everything went wrong.
Attachments:

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

DockBster lower unit freeze 2 years 8 months ago #145188

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Freeze damage to the drain cavity, as Doc was saying. I have a 700-DR L/U with one side busted out of it like that.

Pull the L/U and clean out all the corrosion in the cavity. Then get the aluminum as clean as possible inside & out, remove all paint in the areas needing fixed, and have it weld-repaired. File or grind, sand, bondo, paint, it'll look like new!

Here's some good info on how to get the aluminum scrupulously clean prior to welding:

www.clintonaluminum.com/how-to-clean-and-prepare-aluminum-for-welding/

HTH........ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: g3bill

DockBster lower unit freeze 2 years 8 months ago #145190

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
tx ed, thats a good read. I've done some welding but most of my welding supplies have been stolen with every thing else. when ever i get to it i'll post pics. i have 2 other g3s to move over here so i can sell the property there at. i have too much stuff. bill

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024