TOPIC: Merc 500 starter replacement

Merc 500 starter replacement 2 years 8 months ago #145000

• Eric Z
  • Eric Z's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi All,

I had a mishap last Sat during our ACBS chapter gathering at Woody Boaters headquarters. After launching my lake n sea and cruising to the docks in Reedville, VA, the 1962 Merc 500 cut out and would not re-start. Matt Smith was nice enough to come get me and tow to the docks. Story on woody boater from last Sunday. Was cruising at approx 3,500 plus rpm for no more than 5 minutes when this happened. After getting to the docks and starting our meeting I removed the cowling, charged the battery, etc. no luck. the starter was extremely hot. so hot that I could not touch it for more than 2 seconds. Back at my shop I have cleaned all connections, checked cables, tightened, etc. all seems good. When the key is turned, I get a few slow revolutions and than it stops. Looking in the Merc service manual testing and trouble shooting chart it states, Trouble - starter motor has low, no-load speed and high current draw...Cause - armature may drag on pole shoes from bent shaft, worn bearings, loose pole shoes, tight or dirty bearings.

There are some used replacement motors out there, MAYBE YOU HAVE ONE TO SELL? A new after market version is available for approx $70 from a few sources up to approx $150.

QUESTION; all of the new aftermarket seem to match except for a hole for the starter solenoid bracket as pictured, attached. Would I need to drill through the housing and risk hitting the windings? Take a new starter apart to drill or just externally mount it some how?

Any solutions would be appreciated. Do you have a good used replacement with the proper holes or how to retrofit a new one-

current starter is a Delco-Remy model 1113589 serial number 1913...if i'm reading through the crud properly.

or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with the starter?

thank you!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Merc 500 starter replacement 2 years 8 months ago #145006

If you chose to use the starter that doesn't have the holes for a solenoid,...I have seen the solenoid secured to the starter with a hose clamp.
If you prefer a properly mounted solenoid, go to www.marineengine.com and search the proper serial group for your 500, to find the right one.
BUT,...For your old starter to be that hot, you will need to determine what caused that extreme heat.
My guess is the starter Bendix gear must not have retracted, and the starter was continuing to run while you were underway. Just a guess.
Another possibility is that your ignition switch did not return to the "RUN" position, consequently cooking your starter.
doc

Attachments:

Merc 500 starter replacement 2 years 8 months ago #145007

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi Doc,

Thanks for the incite. I agree with the two possible scenarios as everything else appears to be in good shape and I had test run the engine a few nights before our event without a hitch-

Would the starter frying have caused the abrupt stop while cruising?

I just found a used Delco-Remy with the holes in the housing for the bracket, $30 so its worth a shot. It looks identical but the model numbers are off a few digits. Mine is 1113589 and the one I found is 1113577...maybe one was from a year before or after, the seller states it is for a 62-63 Merc 500. The ones on marineengine.com are also for multiple models either from Merc or Arco for a lot more $ !

Appreciate your help,
Eric

Merc 500 starter replacement 2 years 8 months ago #145013

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Took the top cowl off today. Doc was correct. Bendix gear was stuck up and engaged, see pic.

tapped it loose and tried to start. Chugged a few more times than it had been but nowhere near what it should be.
Attachments:

Merc 500 starter replacement 2 years 8 months ago #145024

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok, so I picked up a used Delco-Remy starter. I had model 1113589 10 tooth and got a 1113577 10 tooth. It bolted in perfect all holes lined up including the two on the housing for the starter solenoid...but...the bendix gear was too small. The 89 model that fried had the spring on the top, larger 10 teeth and larger dia. approx. 1.5"+. The 77 version has the inertia style bendix with spring on the bottom and finer teeth with an approx dia. of 1.25" Picture attached. Argh !...

I removed the two bendix assemblies thinking maybe I could swap them, ... no such luck- different shafts. As Maxwell Smart said, "missed it by that much"...

Back to the drawing board...
Attachments:

Merc 500 starter replacement 2 years 8 months ago #145026

you need an older delco starter . that gear is 61 and later.

Merc 500 starter replacement 2 years 8 months ago #145068

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yep, looking for a Delco Remy 1113569.
thx

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)