Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mounting twin 400s

Mounting twin 400s 5 years 11 months ago #136238

I have a pair of 1960 mark 58a els that I just got back from restoration. I have some questions about proper mounting. The maintenance manual and owners manual specify a 15 1/2" dimension between engine centerlines. When I placed them like that it looked funny and the motors could touch when turned to the stop. (Steering not installed.) Old photos show them wider apart, also the steering linkage ,and previous transom holes indicate a wider set.
Additionally the cavitation plate is 1" below the bottom of the hull (roughly in line) when the bracket is snug on the transom. I was considering some SS bar stock to raise them up.
Any input on proper installation would be much appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mounting twin 400s 5 years 11 months ago #136281

HI,

For what it's worth this is from a Mercury owners manual for a 1958 Mark35A. Hope it helps.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: justin

Mounting twin 400s 5 years 10 months ago #136338

Hello,
Really Sharp Looking Bell Boy and Twin Mark 58AL you have there. The 15.5 inches would be the minimum width. Certainly a wider spacing is fine, and is often determined somewhat by what steering linkage is to be utilized. Unless the keel protrudes significantly on the Bell Boy, yes, the outboards likely should be raised. Hardwood spacers which are painted would be fine versus the use of stainless bar (please be sure to through bolt both outboards to the boat transom either way). Note that cupping, possibly even "rolling", the propeller blades may be however needed (especially so with the 2-blade propellers). Cupped propeller blades on factory stock propellers have very long been seen, but not back this far back however. Many propeller shops should be able to do so for you. Write to me directly if wanted, as I may be very slow to visit here to see to reply.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: justin

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Mounting twin 400s 5 years 7 months ago #137516

Another question as I shake these things out. (I am getting there). I have a pair of two lever control boxes mounted together. The #2 engine throttle lever likes to walk back. #1 stays put. It will go from full throttle to about 2/3 throttle and then stay put. Is this a common error with a common solution?
Thanks for any ideas.
JP

Mounting twin 400s 5 years 7 months ago #137555

they have a detent in the throttle side may be missing or worn. get 2 single lever they are adjustable for tenson.

Mounting twin 400s 5 years 7 months ago #137557

I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7189 guests and no members online