Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1974 Merc 200 20hp electric start

1974 Merc 200 20hp electric start 13 years 9 months ago #13025

Hi,

A newbie to the forums. After 34 years the electric starter, on the Merc 200 20 hp motor has given up the ghost. Can't find one or a cross reference for a new one. Anyone have any ideas where I can find one? The motor serial # is 4148498 and the starter # is 50-47216.
I'd appreciate any assistance.
Regards,
Lucas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1974 Merc 200 20hp electric start 13 years 9 months ago #13030

keep a watch on ebay. i picked up 2 in the past few months 1 for $55.00 the other was $135.00 but with a good complete powerhead.converting my 25SS race motor getting older.

Re:1974 Merc 200 20hp electric start 13 years 9 months ago #13032

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome to FG Lucas. I'll check on your starter info when I get to work today, may be able to help with cross reference or something, will let you know.

Mark

Re:1974 Merc 200 20hp electric start 13 years 9 months ago #13063

Why not have your starter motor rebuilt? There are lots of shops out there with the capability. What, exactly, broke? May just need brushes...

Re:1974 Merc 200 20hp electric start 13 years 9 months ago #13068

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Bad news Lucas, the starter is discontinued from all of our suppliers lines. Scott (Chinewalker) or Dave's ideas appear to be your only option. Sorry

Mark

Re:1974 Merc 200 20hp electric start 13 years 9 months ago #13088

Thanks guys for trying. I'll keep looking and take it out in Sept. and see if I can get it rebuilt. It started cranking hard (like a low battery but after I put in a new battery still the same). Also, intermittent at first but now "grunts" like it's jammed. I use the manual choke and rope start it.

Question: If I remove the 3 screws holding the cover on, can I just lift the cover off with the rope with out little pawls and springs flying all over? How does one line up the starter rope pawl when replacing the cover?

Thanks,
Lucas

Re:1974 Merc 200 20hp electric start 13 years 9 months ago #13094

yes 3 bolts and 2 nuts for the E-starter lift off install in reverse.no problem.

Re:1974 Merc 200 20hp electric start 13 years 9 months ago #13097

Lucas wrote:

Also, intermittent at first but now "grunts" like it's jammed. I use the manual choke and rope start it.

Thanks,
Lucas

This is fine.. do not continue to use the electric-start.
When a starter "grunts" or turns over slowly..the most probably thing "wrong" with the starter is a bad upper bushing/bearing. Continued use can damage the armature windings, or the field coils. It also will carbon up the commutator in short-order.
These starters are easy to rebuild, and most towns (even country towns) have starter-alternator shops. Tractors, big trucks, etc.. almost always have their starters rebuilt rather than continue to buy new.
If you are mechanical at all- you should be able to do it yourself. I have rebuilt hundreds of starters and generators (Studebakers).. because new ones just aren't available. The parts are- since Delco, Prestolite, Autolite, all pretty much standardized their basic starter- and only altered the mount or nose to fit other manufacturers.

Re:1974 Merc 200 20hp electric start 13 years 9 months ago #13134

Thanks for the help! Will try to rebuild it myself at seasons end. I've rebuilt generators and starters on my MGA and Austin Healey Sprite so if I can source parts I should be able to do it.

Regards,
Lucas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)