Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Traitor!!! he buys a rude...

Traitor!!! he buys a rude... 13 years 9 months ago #12789

Yesterday I was off loading some scrap at the 'local scrap yard'. While waiting my turn I was checking out all the massive dumpsters full of stuff. One was over flowing with engine parts...Blocks, heads, etc. Perched on top of pile was this engine. I asked if they would sell it. Sure! 50 cents a pound.

I pulled if off the pile (without killing myself) and looked it over. Looked complete, but obviously had been sitting outside somewhere. Everything was stiff on it, and it appeared seized. The pull handle wouldnt budge, I couldnt move the flywheel (I think I had it in nuetral). It appeared complete.

I thought about. But...I'm a merc guy (1962 Merc 1000, thank you very much), Ive got enough junk in my shop that I am going to 'restore'. I left with out it.

But as you suspect, I couldn't do it. I couldnt let a complete motor get shredded. Two hours later I was back, and at 68 pounds, took home a likely seized motor I know noting about for 34 bucks.

Now that I have it home it appears to be quite complete. But it does appear to be seized up. Haven't had a chance to give it a close look, so dont know if it is the lower, the head, etc etc..

So can anyone tell me where to find a listing of serial numbers/ This one is 15012-29454

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Traitor!!! he buys a rude... 13 years 9 months ago #12795

on the port side clamp should be a tag. on the block is a welch plug with the same info on it. those ###'s should be the model and serial ######'s

Re:Traitor!!! he buys a rude... 13 years 9 months ago #12798

I got some info from the JEGo forum - shes a 1954 'FasTwin'. It'll be fun resurrecting her - gonna call her "scraper"

Re:Traitor!!! he buys a rude... 13 years 9 months ago #12811

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
honesty is the best policy.........I too have a few johnnyrudes within the holds of the Mercfarm.

I am not ashamed. All good old outboards deserve to live and runamerc I mean runamuck

awe heck it's 3:03 AM I have no business typing

Re:Traitor!!! he buys a rude... 13 years 9 months ago #12813

g3jim wrote:

All good old outboards deserve to live and runamerc

I'm glad you were up at 3 Jim, that's a great one!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)