Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Whitehouse project

Whitehouse project 9 years 8 months ago #97678

Greeting and salutations! I'm new to your forums and have a project that I would love a little feedback on. (currently it's a disaster.) To make a long story short this beastie was abandoned on our farm at least 10 years ago and I found it about month ago buried under a large about tree debris around our pond. (Still cleaning up the damage from the 2004 ice storm not to mention the 2014 one :P) I digress... sorry...

What came out of the debris pile was {as near as the registration can tell me...) a 1957 Whitehouse It's about 13 1/2 feet long and I am guessing a Capri model but I have no idea. Poor beastie is rough shape all of the wood and metal interior, cabling, and wiring is toast, and it needs a new transom (It been sitting full of water for a very long time) although surprisingly the hull is in relatively good shape, no breaks or major blistering. The gelcoat is chipped and very rough but When I thought of hauling it off to the landfill it charmed me and I decided to restore it instead.

Currently I have it stored upside down on a rack to dry out the inside and clean the gunk out easier.

The large boat beside it is also a classic boat project (1962 Chris Craft Roamer 36') that is undergoing complete restoration and overhaul. That is a seriously long term project since it has to be taken down to bare hull and all the running gear etc has to be rebuilt.

Back to the little boat... I do have a couple of questions.

1) does anyone know where to get a windshield for this boat? or can one be made for it without having to pay 2 arms for it?

2) I was thinking of using Awlgrip and Interlux paint systems on Whitehouse, (I already have some 2000E 2 part primer for the big boat) does anyone have another recommendation for a paint system that is nice but a easier to work with?? (awlgrip has a better topcoat paint selection)

3) Does anyone have some decent pictures of a boat from this era as to what the interior and dashboards looked like? I'd like to restore it similar appearance as to what it was new.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Whitehouse project 9 years 8 months ago #97817

Nemehoto,
Welcome aboard. Unfortunately I can't help much with Whitehouse models not familiar. There was a thread on here that showed how to make your own windshield. It was posted by ANDGOTT if I remember right. Some folks have actually used Rustoleum with a hardner with good luck. There are some whitehouse folks on here who should jump in soon.

Bob

Re:Whitehouse project 9 years 8 months ago #97846

ok thank you! I'll see if I can find the thread on making a windshield :)

Re:Whitehouse project 9 years 8 months ago #97852

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Nemehoto. Here's a link to the windshield thread Bob is talking about;
www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/making-a-new-plexiglass-windshield

Mark

Re:Whitehouse project 9 years 8 months ago #97881

This is a 1956 Whitehouse brochure photo that someone posted a long while back:
Attachments:

Re:Whitehouse project 9 years 8 months ago #97899

WOW that looks exactly like my boat! Down to the little tail fins! and the checkerboard patter on the sides... thank you this will help a bit to try and find what it looked like originally

Re:Whitehouse project 9 years 8 months ago #97908

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have a set of windshield posts like the ones in the brochure, if your interested send me an e-mail. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. greg

Re:Whitehouse project 9 years 8 months ago #97966

nemehoto,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Whitehouse project 9 years 8 months ago #98297

Not orig. by far, but it works for us. We had "Fins " out this weekend, and had a great time.
Here are a few progress pictures. Had to recore the floor and put in a new transom. Used a honeycomb fiberglass core for the floor, and laminated 1/4" plywood for the transom. Worked good.
Oh well. Can't get pictures to load. I think my Avator has an old one, before we painted her

Re:Whitehouse project 9 years 7 months ago #98549

I'd love to see the pictures but I didn't see any in the post :( Hopefully you can repost them? Still trying to think of a decent name for our little beast. Something will pop up I'm sure when I get started on it. The personality comes out when you work on them. (Still waiting to hear from DNR on the title research before I do more than clean it.) Although I did jump the gun a little and bought a nice 1956 Johnson 30 hp outboard for it that needs a little TLC on the paint and cleaning. I'll post a pic when I can. What a name for the paint... holiday bronze?

I'll post more pics of the progress soon.

Re:Whitehouse project 9 years 7 months ago #98553

Sorry picture would not load.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.625 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)