Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration

1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 11 months ago #93230

I have had this boat since I was 16 (now around the half century mark) I always dreamed of one day fixing it up to the "nines"
That day is here and a full out on this top to bottom restoration is in full swing.
I have had a 1974 40HP Mercury on it.
I needed something "SEXY" so I bought a 1961 Merc 500 in showroom condition, that I am placing on it after it's complete. "Now Thats Sexy"

Some of the upgraded safety features going into the boat

Fuel cell
Rotary steering
Battery closeout switch

Check back for frequent updates
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 11 months ago #93239

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
nice looking boat, will be a fun restro project. welcome aboard. frog

Re: 1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 11 months ago #93250

chiwomchew,

WELCOME ABOARD. - PURTY boat, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 11 months ago #93258

Thanks to you and Frog for the welcome.
Here is the motor I have to complete the restoration.

"ain't she purdy"

1961 Merc 500 50HP FGS [img] [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC06801.JPG

Re: 1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 11 months ago #93259

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Beautiful motor!

Re: 1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 11 months ago #93269

Chiwomchew, nice looking project. I'm doing a 59 Seaflite and you have the one item that I do not have for mine, the step pad inserts with the Glastron logo. Is there any way you could make a mold so I could reproduce them?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re: 1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 11 months ago #93280

Consider it done. Let me know what kind of mold plastic you want me to use and I will make them. Hell if we can come up with something nice, I may use 2 of the new mold pieces too. Do you have the original windshield on your 59' seaflite ?

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 11 months ago #93283

Lets take a look in here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is the transom "shot" ?

Never paid attention when I was 16, when I purchased it. Just wanted to get on the water and pick up babes.
Now 34 years later we are gonna do a mega restoration.

a closer look ?
It's SSSSSSSHHHooooooooooooooooooooT !

Marked for cutting Is there a cry icon ? Boo hoo as there is only sawdust.
My guy that is doing this restoration is a personal friend and has glasswork running throughout his family 'experts' he says "no problem" "easy buttons"

Could this screw have been "sabatoogie" May have started the whole transom rott ?

All surfaces and substrates abraided with proper profile ready for rubdown of acetone and fiberglass/wood transom rebuild.
All grinding complete with debris

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 11 months ago #93290

Rebirth of the ark ! My guy says "watch this" I said watch what ? he said were gonna build the transom back better than the original by making a 1-3/4" thick laminated beam using 1/2" marine plywood. I said lets rock, that means I help.

Here is first layer 1/2" Marine over two matts of fibeglass on the spillwell backside. First wood layer was "wet" applied to back of transom and spillwell fiberglass.

Profile grind of fiberglass cutout

Just look at that profile............nice !

Dry fitting of second "keyed" sectionlayer of transom fiberglass/wood sandwich.

No ferrous screws were harmed in any rebuild aspect of this project. They were all removed before closure. Only stainless screws were used.

Grinded and ready for more mutiple burns and fiberglass installation.

Hand build of fiberglass matting installed in random small pieces to improve strength. (8) 8 sq. ft. matts were used in the transom rebuild.

WOW is that alot of work, to build that thickness of fiberglass. We hit this thing with a hammer and its like a rock !

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 11 months ago #93296

That transom was actually worse than mine (see 59 Seaflite restoration under Member Projects). I did mine with twin 3/4" marine plywood.The floor is to be 1/2" marine plywood.

I did have the original windshield but it was beyond usability. I had someone use it as a template and make a new one.

I'm not sure what kind of material to make the mold from. I will put a post in the Main Forum and see what we get.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93323

• Kern
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi chiwomchew,
I am doing a similar cost-no-object restoration/rebuild/update on my 1963 JetFlite (See postings). I had to replace my transom and also found that the stringer structure needed replacing as it was not built well originally. You should probably also check your underfloor structure.

Are you doing a perfect factory restoration or doing some updates/modifications. I chose the latter as in the years of using my boat I found several areas that needed improvements. The appearance and colors remain as built but there are several changes made to improve the details and functionality.

If you want a new windshield built, I can highly recommend EDS Plastics in Novi, MI. He is listed on the Classic Glastron web site. He made me a new windshield from my old one, which was in two pieces. The new one is a perfect replica and looks beautiful. I also purchased an Infiniti car logo and a Mobil Pegasus horse from him for my garage.

Since we are doing things similarly, if you need any thoughts or advice, I will assist as I can. I am an automotive engineer and bring that background to my project. My e-mail address is: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I am located in the Chicago metro area.

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93494

Some updated activity

Some other fiberglass being installed [img] [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC06980.JPG
See the bodylines that are highlighted ? they were lost in the original paintjob 34 years ago. The body lines on this model are incredible as you will see later in the photos
Sand and then sand again and then sand some more !

I decided to close off my mistake of 34 years ago by cutting a hole in the dash for a monster cassette player -- radio all gone !

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93496

I am "IRONMAN" ! Love the bodylines !
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93505

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You're making great progress chiwomchew, she's looking much better already!

Mark

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93509

Looking good! I'm jealous; mine is still under a tarp.

Are you going to replace the mylar that was in the hull cove? Here's a picture of a sample that was under a casting on mine. Note that it is not plain, but has 1/8" squares. I believe that this is available through hydroponic gardening supply stores. They use the mylar with the squares as a reflector since the square help eliminate hot spots.

Also, do you have the original seats with the Glastron signature?
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93512

I am not going to replace the mylar. I still have those molds of the stepplate inserts on my mind. Does anyone have a picture or the original seats with the Glastron insignia ? Would like to see the design.
I need to find a windshield. I had a "Taylor" jobbie on there but I want an original duplicate.

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93514

Thanks MarkS

Helping with this project, mainly the fiberglass and woodwork associated with it, I can see why you will never get your money back out of a boat investment. I think I will break even on this one but it does not matter. Not For Sale. I learned one main thing from this restoration. Any fiberglass boat can be repaired/restored, as long as the glass is in salvagable condition.

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93530

Do you mean this?

I have the back of the original front seat (that probably had been protected by the hardtop). The logo is cut into the naugahyde. If we can find someone to do it, I will take one side apart and send it as a sample. You would need 2 for the front seat and 2 for the back.

Also, someone posted some info on reproducing step pads in the Main Forum.

Todd
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93546

Oh shit yes ! Looks like some other kind of pattern on the ends vertically.
Are those square pleats or cut lines ?

Nice example ! I know your boat is a 17' correct ? Mine is 15' but the simularities are many including the seat pattern. Anyway to illuminate the "Glastron" part and take a picture or a close picture with flash to see the insignia better.

If you get a chance can you take some more closeup pictures around the seat and post them.

TIA !

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93585

Some repairs to the interior of the boat. In the rear stow section I wanted another matt overlay of fiberglass on the floor and transom just to seal anything on the floor and the penetrations from the transom rebuild. I remember the back getting very greasy from the gas tanks over time. I am installing an aluminum fuel cell with a through hull filler neck in the spillwell. (will see this later in photos)

Grinded prep work done ready for acetone wipedown and matt overlay.

I dont know why someone (previous owner) cut the rear seat mount ? It was filled with foam previously and now will be filled back in with marine 1/2" and fiberglass. In the picture below the overlay has been applied to the transom and stow area.

In this image the front floor plywood was replaced. The underside of the plywood was laminated with a fiberglass matt before installation.
This area was full of water when I peeled the old piece of plywood off. Filled it with foam and stripped it in.

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93617

Check this out ; I spot a spot on the rear floor between the rear seat and front seat pictured below. I tell my guy and he says take it out until it wont come out anymore ! Mm'k

Here is the area on a larger scale.
See that tiny little spot ?

BAMM !
This is where it stopped ! :(
The wood turned out to be in excellent condition.
Decided to matt the whole floor in together with the repair.
All grinded with profile ready for acetone wipedown, striping in and matt finish. :laugh:
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #93643

• MarkS
"Ataboy" chiwomchew, now is the time to fix stuff like that. I've found several Glastrons that had quality hull construction, but part of the interior 'glass layup looks like it was done on Friday afternoon at quitting time! (ie: hurried) Attention to detail like you're doing now will ensure it lasts longer this time than it did originally, IMHO. ;)

Mark

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #94824

your Fireflites looking good Im about to start working on mine. Mine has been in my family since the 70's. I think it is a 57 or 58. I need to find a 500 merc like you that will look sick. When I was about ten my dad let me take the hard top to the woods to build a camp with. Now I am kicking my self in the butt over that. I cannot find a top for one. Any really good places you would recommend on getting some parts?

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 10 months ago #94867

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread thanks for all the in site. My Glen-L Zip project is almost complete and will need another project. I have a 14-C PowerCat 63' that I'll be restoring with the same methods you have done. You did and excellent job on all work up to date. I specifically like how you replaced the transom and didn't go to the edges with the removal, looks like around 3" in . Once your boat is complete should look awesome.

Travis

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 8 months ago #97150

Regarding the upholstery, the original was heat embossed vinyl. I contacted SMS auto fabrics and they said they could reproduce it, but I opted to go with stitching, as I could have it repaired locally if need be. The silver piping is 56 Chev, available from SMS. I would suggest you replace the mylar,as it's a real show piece. If you can track down Bob Beers ( Mr. Aurora ), he may still have some. Here's some pics of one Bob used to own, probably one of the nicest originals around, and a few of my reproduction Sorry, can't get the pics to load. Try again later

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 7 months ago #98904

Update soon !!

barnickelbill and thetudor, I will have the steppads as I have been doing some trial casts. I am going to the metal caster/polisher tomorrow. I need my steppad frames re-chromed as well as other things. I will ask him how much to make new casts and chrome. ?? I am also going to rechrome/recast one of my "Glastron" Emblems . When I get the pricing I will post it.

Attachments:

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 7 months ago #98923

Much progress to report, when I get some time, in the next few days.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 7 months ago #98939

Here we flipped the boat over on some medium density foam that you can buy from Home Depot for $10 a sheet. The original boat specs say the boat weighs 375 Lbs. It was very light !

:laugh:

Sanded and "sounded" the bottom of the boat and found a couple of soft spots. This is where the boat was beached constantly going to "partay" when I was a kid.
;)

Again using small "random" pieces for strength and build. Use larger pieces and its a weak and shitty repair ! "Thats what my guy says".

Other area of repair. Small weak spot. My guy is one picky SOB !@
I like that !

Shazaam !
Done !

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 7 months ago #98946

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Excellent thread. Love the attention to detail!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 7 months ago #98975

How the heck did I miss this thread! You're making great progress and doing it right. Can't wait to see it done!

BOb

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 7 months ago #99087

Paint was created from a color chip/exact match for a 1961 Pontiac Tempest that came out in mid 1960. Had a OEM paint specification and sample book from that era for all cars. Some of the colors in that book..... wild !

It's a pretty close match but the new paint has more metallic in it.
The original color to the boat in 1959 would be Tahitian Coral.

The original paint color you see is in the spill well area.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 7 months ago #99191

Looks like you're making great progress, however, I do have a concern. Have you put a straight edge on the bottom of the hull from the transom forward? It looks to me by the reflection in the pic " shazam, done" there is a hook in the hull. Mine had the same issue, caused I believe from the rear roller being too far ahead of the transom. I was able to remove much of it when I replaced the wood on the rear floor, the rest was filled from the bottom. Not trying to rain on your parade, but save you some disappointment when you get it wet
Cheers
Bill
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 9 years 7 months ago #99195

The Boat always sat on "bunks" not rollers. Is that the support that was at the back of your boat originally ? "rollers". Is that from the original trailer in 59' ? Mine never had the original trailer, but I am looking for a restored one.
Here you can see the bunks clearly extend 8 inches out and at least a foot and a half under the boat. My guy would have seen something like that in a Newyork minute. Also, I have been a finisher all my life and I would have seen something like that in a Chicago minute :laugh: He is not only restoring the boat, but teaching me as I help him, doing alot of the grunt and sanding work.
I like learning everything I can while I am still tickin'
Since learning how to do transoms from my guy,I practiced on the boat I was forced to take for free with the engine purchase for this project shown above (transom was shot). The yellow 72' Silverline. Completed 100% of it from start to finish with no help from anyone in three weekends. I will throw up a post of the project as it came out perfect.

I'll check, but here are some more photos of the process.

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 8 years 11 months ago #108924

Have had a long winter. I will have some updates coming within a few weeks. Going to be casting some of the chrome pieces from a portable foundry I am building. I'm going to use the "lost wax" system to create the new emblems and chrome pieces. Get this, I am going to cast the pieces out of 100% pure Silver. I bought 20 ounces to cast my stuff. This way I don't have to send the stuff to a chromer. It will almost be polished when it comes out of the cast. Silver is the most reflective element on the planet. It wont pit, decay or deteriorate. Just polish it up once and a while. I also have done castings of the step pads, in different rubbers. I will get those to whom I promised, this year. A few contributors have requested a set. Anyone have any thoughts on my silver idea ?
I've always wanted to metals cast. We're gonna do it together.
May have to rethink my silver vs brass/chrome idea as i complete my foundry. Anyone have any insight to this idea >?

Should be an interesting year to finish this boat. Again I will not cut any corners, nor sacrifice any part of this boat to 'just get it finished'. all the bodywork is 99.9% complete. Just need to apply the color finish coats to the top of the boat. See you in a few weeks. ! :cheer:

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 8 years 11 months ago #108929

• MarkS
Good to see you're still working on it, please keep us posted on your progress.

Mark

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 8 years 11 months ago #108933

Really looking good. Thanks for all the pics keep them coming.

Re: 1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 8 years 11 months ago #108940

Nice motor

If it aint broke dont fix it bkm marine services

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 8 years 11 months ago #108941

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Beautiful work.

-Brian

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 8 years 11 months ago #108959

i have a pic, somewhere of a 59 larson in tahitian coral. it belonged to a member who has disappeared like so many. his name was ken faulkner, from minneesota i think. a beautiful color. he sent me a color chip. when i was trying to decide what color to paint the mantaray. i had 2 gallons of it made up at a local paint shop, but decided on the 2 tone bikini blue. i gave the paint to mt. dora gary...gary simpson. ron
Attachments:

Re:1959 Glastron Fireflite total restoration 8 years 10 months ago #109865

I referenced earlier up in this thread, that I had completed a transom on a boat (72' Silverline) that I acquired for free (I had to take the boat, too get the motor for the 59') Here are some pictures of the rebuild.

I was shown once, how to do a transom rebuild and this one I completed without any help.
I have completed the boat and have an engine on it. I will follow within the next few weeks, pictures of it completed and ready for the water.

Here's the rebuilt transom with a 70HP powertilt Merc. :laugh:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.617 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)