• Page:

TOPIC: 1968 Performance (Donzi) Restoration

1968 Performance (Donzi) Restoration 10 years 3 months ago #87685

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
We're currently restoring a 1968 Performance (the actual name of the manufacturer) runabout. Apparently, it was designed using the Donzi Sweet 16 hull profile but stretched an additional foot to 17. We received in it fairly rough condition, no engine and the transom had been closed-over as seen in the accompanying photos.

There were many areas of gouges, scrapes and severe gelcoat failure which were ground into small V shapes and repaired with epoxy. The dash was in such bad shape that we decided to just start over completely.

After drilling the initial holes for mounting the outdrive, it became obvious that the transom was mushy plywood and so replacement was necessary before we could proceed. I decided to leave the fiberglass transom intact and remove all the rotten and water-logged plywood from within.

The transom is curved and since the exterior was in such bad shape already, I decided that thru-bolting with 10/24 screws was the best way to ensure that the replacement plywood conformed to the shape of the transom. The first layer of 3/8" okoume marine plywood, divided longways in order to be installed in back of the stringers, was pulled into shape against a heavy and complete coating of 3M 5200 and allowed to cure unmolested for five days. It's an unorthodox method but it worked perfectly. All edges were subsequently fiberglassed to the bottom and hull sides with heavy fiberglass cloth.

The second layer of plywood was fastened in the same way, using the same holes, screws and full coating of 3M 5200. The horizontal cuts were staggered on each piece. We allowed this plywood layer to cure for an additional five days before the screws were removed. Layers three and four were then fastened from the inside to layers one and two with 5200 and 1" stainless steel screws. The 4th and final layer of 3/8" okoume marine plywood was completely covered in fiberglass which extends several inches onto the bottom and sides.

The topsides were about as bad as the dash and we felt that epoxy and primer just weren't going to cut it. We applied three coats of gelcoat, wet on wet, and sanded smooth. Two coats were applied to the interior surfaces and rear seat. Interior will be buffed; exterior painted.

It's always amazing to me how cheap engines and outdrives can be if they have a boat wrapped around them. Rather than buy a Gen II outdrive and then a 5.7L donor motor, I bought a donor boat that had both for less than half what those items would have cost separately. So...I got every single thing I needed to build another driveline, a mess of re-useable boat parts and a dual axle trailer! Anyway, here's the engine from the boat and using many of the parts, here's what I built. The intake and exhaust manifolds are aluminum, saving me about 80-90 lbs of engine weight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:1968 Performance (Donzi) Restoration 10 years 3 months ago #87689

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Another outstanding job just like your other projects. Thanks for sharing.
Cal

Re:1968 Performance (Donzi) Restoration 10 years 3 months ago #87703

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
63 Sabre wrote:

Another outstanding job just like your other projects. Thanks for sharing.
Cal

X 2 !
A sweet project, for sure! Looks like a proper power plant for a "Performance" boat.

Can't help but notice one of the Carlsons in the background, now you've really got me salivating Capt. Jan! :)

Mark

Re:1968 Performance (Donzi) Restoration 10 years 3 months ago #87704

I love the engine cover you built from scratch also. This boat is going to be marvelous when finished!

Re:1968 Performance (Donzi) Restoration 10 years 3 months ago #87705

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark:
The Carlson Intimidator in the background is the one we're going to turn into a 1979 Trans Am Anniversary Edition. We have the entire cockpit filled with boxes of vintage Trans Am parts...dashboard, steering column, console...all kinds of goodies. Right now it's just sitting there waiting. That project will be started as soon as we finish the Donzi. I have a feeling that it's going to require my undivided attention.

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:1968 Performance (Donzi) Restoration 10 years 3 months ago #87723

Now that is a real sweet rig! Never heard of it but with the lines of the Donzi it is a head turner...need to add one to my dream list.

You aren't really gonna stick that bird catcher up through the rear deck are ya? (I would...LOL!)

Nice job! Bernie

PS, Are you gonna re-rig with left side steering or convert to right?

Re:1968 Performance (Donzi) Restoration 10 years 3 months ago #87728

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well, the "bird catcher" won't fit under the engine hatch but it it did, it would stay. The owner nixed the idea of a scoop sticking out through the top...too bad! It came with left steering and he wants it to stay that way. We are going to put the exhaust through the transom so it should sound pretty mean. Also, he stated that he wants no windshield so I guess he'd better get some goggles.

The transom has very little rake. The boat must have had a stringer outdrive or Volvo Penta. Anyway, the Mercruiser outdrive isn't going to work without opposing twin wedges set inside/outside. As it sits right now, the 350 Chevy drops down about 3" in the front...unacceptable. I'll post some photos early next week to show how we handled the problem.

"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7390 guests and one member online