• Page:

TOPIC: 1968 MFG Chevron New Sole

Re:1968 MFG Chevron New Sole 9 years 11 months ago #94044

• dlatshaw
  • dlatshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Won't make it to Silver Lake for the meet this year. Kid still in school for snow makeup. AND I'll be coming up later this summer when Tim finishes the twins so we can put them on the PowerCat (The 2 1965 merc 1000 motors are going on the PowerCat 18dc, for those not following other threads) So 2 trips to NY this summer wouldn't happen.

As to the question of foam... I used Great Stuff. I know it's not USCG approved. But it is closed-cell poly foam. I found it easier to control than pouring out of a jug, so i could fill it to just below the stringers. Then i'll put on Minimal Expanding just as i lay the floor. It won't bow the plywood. Since i won't be cutting the top off like you do with pour-able foam the water-resistant membrane will remain in tact instead of opening up all those cells.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re:1968 MFG Chevron New Sole 9 years 11 months ago #94494

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
So the floor is attached! Did glass roving between any wood joins before i screwed it down. Then did roving around the edges of the plywood after it was screwed down.

The after it was dry i hit it with a sander to take off high spots and the wax.

But my fiberglass mat and started pouring resin today! As you can see it's all covered. After it kicked and set i went back with my grinder and scuffed it up for the carpet adhesive. Also took down any sharp or high spots.

Oh, and the wood blocks the side bulkheads attach to were not glassed, just tabbed to the hull. So i glassed those and made sure to cover the end grain.

I took everything out of the boat and power washed it. Got 99% of the dust and other junk off. Once it dries i'll put down the carpet!

Almost there!!!
Attachments:

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:1968 MFG Chevron New Sole 9 years 11 months ago #94719

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cleaned the surface again before laying carpet. The carpet was a lot easier than i thought it would be. I ordered the marine carpet from online, and it was darker than i thought it would be. But i like the two-tone effect. Just hope it's not too hot. It's a dark blue, but not as dark as the pic.
Attachments:

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:1968 MFG Chevron New Sole 9 years 11 months ago #94720

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here we are a little further along. The gas tank is in under the port side seat. I bedded the screws and fasteners in 5200. Pushed some down the screw hole, and cut the carpet away from the area the fasteners sit and covered that with 5200, then screwed them down.
Attachments:

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.693 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage