Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1958(9?) Fleetform 14' Barnfind restoration/repair

1958(9?) Fleetform 14' Barnfind restoration/repair 10 years 6 months ago #84269

Hi folks, I just lucked out and found a 1958(59?) 14' fleetform that I got off of craigslist for cheap. It looks like 95% of the old chrome is there and overall isnt too bad. I'll be cleaning it up and restoring it for this coming spring with the hope that I can take my folks out on it when they come and visit my part of the woods next. I've removed the floor panels and seating and gave it a quick wash since obtaining it. Feel free to take a look at the pictures and let me know your thoughts. This is my first project and I am in love with it already.

Not sure what the missing items are here. That is the original electric cigarette lighter in the middle.

This shows the fiberglass floor panels (are these original?)

Came with a 45hp west bend by chrysler (1965 I think,looks clean and the wires look pretty new)

Came with two of these

Are these hinges for an awning?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1958(9?) Fleetform 14' Barnfind restoration/repair 10 years 6 months ago #84307

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
schrimshaw, yes the floorboards came with the boat.the two holes , I think some one had put them there for something? I had a fleetform and the gelcoat was toast. still looking for another one, they are very cool boats. looks like you got a nice one. best of luck with it. and welcome aboard. frog

Re:1958(9?) Fleetform 14' Barnfind restoration/repair 10 years 6 months ago #84313

Nice looking boat Scrimshaw !
Sorry to go off topic, but I have, what I believe to be a Sea Fury. The hull looks the same as a Fleetform, but mine has fins on the back.
Did Sea Fury splash the Fleetform hull, and just added fins ? It’s no big deal to me…. I’m just curious ?

Re:1958(9?) Fleetform 14' Barnfind restoration/repair 10 years 6 months ago #84314

Be sure to save your original seats and the floor for patterns!

The two holes in the dash are likely from the electric start dash panel of an Evinrude/Johnson. If so, the holes would be 4" apart (from the centers), one approximately 5/8", the other 13/16". the left for the choke switch, the right for the starter switch.

www.fiberglassics.com/library/1959_Evinrude_Lark_Manual

The following photo is of an earlier 1950's dash plate before OMC went to key switches and reversed the order of the choke and start switches:

Looks like you had a Taylor Made windshield, at least you still have the mounting hardware, which is the hard part to find. You can build or buy a new plastic windshield. You can also have a new top made or build one yourself: 1957 Taylor Made brochure:
Attachments:

Re:1958(9?) Fleetform 14' Barnfind restoration/repair 10 years 6 months ago #84323

Thank you Frog and Chuck!

Chuck- You know, I've wondered the same thing, and have seen several thinking they were fleetforms at first. I've only been looking at these boats on and off for the last couple of years. (I was saving up for my wedding and thought it not wise to encourage my boat fever too much until it was done haha)I've got a copy of tail fins and two tones, I can take a peak and see what it says about sea fury.

HandyAndy- You're the man! Thank you for that awesome info! You're absolutely right on the windshield maker. It appears my boat may also have had the bikinitop from the hinges its got. I just did a search for tailormade and believe I found a used but totally acceptable windshield with all the mounting hardware in Massachusetts. Guy says he wont ship the windshield so I need to see if the one guy I know in Boston might be willing to pick it up for me.

I did save the seats for patterns, but threw out the bottom bench segment for the front seat, but only after taking pictures. It was was too rotten.

Thanks again guys.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7162 guests and no members online