Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1967 Thunderhawk 1400 LTD Tri-Hull Restoration

1967 Thunderhawk 1400 LTD Tri-Hull Restoration 10 years 9 months ago #80238

Just purchased this Thunderhawk 14ft last week - It was purchased from the original owner and the motor actually runs! I'm going in for a full overhaul, complete restoration that I imagine, will take the next year or so.

Any help, advice, history about the boat/maker would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting very in-depth photos throughout each step of the process.

- This week I have started off with the basics, giving this thing a general wipe-down with a rag n water - then a more thorough wipe-down with some general house cleaning agent (entire thing is going to be sanded down anyways). Once wiped cleaned, I began taking every piece of hardware off and organized it in plastic zip-loc bags labeled accordingly.

I will post with more updates regularly - cheers!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1967 Thunderhawk 1400 LTD Tri-Hull Restoration 10 years 9 months ago #80242

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Orhan, glad to have you join us. Sounds like you have a good plan on beginning the process, including plenty of pics for reference. We're looking forward to your progress reports, and don't be afraid to ask questions if you have them. Plenty of good folks willing to lend a hand here. ;)

Mark

Re:1967 Thunderhawk 1400 LTD Tri-Hull Restoration 10 years 9 months ago #80262

Thanks for your hospitality Mark - Already underway removing all stainless/chromed hardware and I already stumbled into my first concern - Transom worries!

I noticed that each drain hole that is drilled into the transom has noticeable drip marks/water stains and when I touch the inside with my finger it seems to be somewhat damp. Also, I see a small tree growing out of the interior side - lol OF COURSE!

Any advice, preliminary steps before I decide on rebuilding the entire transom, which is not ideal but can do if need be.

Attachments:

Re:1967 Thunderhawk 1400 LTD Tri-Hull Restoration 10 years 9 months ago #80309

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
OrhanCileli wrote:

Any advice, preliminary steps before I decide on rebuilding the entire transom, which is not ideal but can do if need be.

I would recommend pulling the motor mounting bolts, you can do one at a time if you're not ready to pull the motor yet. If there is rot present there will be evidence there, a black crumbly gunk stuck to the bolt threads. Since there is evidence of moisture in the transom, I would definitely address it now. That is the backbone of your boat, replacing it now (properly) should ensure years of trouble free operation in the future.

Just my humble two cents worth......;)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6349 guests and no members online