Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: outboard to i/o conversion

outboard to i/o conversion 11 years 2 weeks ago #76113

Hi everyone this is a two part question 1. does anyone know when Glasspar first offered an I/o in the seafair sedan? 2. I have a '59 sedan i,m thinking about converting to i/o, I can't be the only nut on the tree, so if anyone has ever done this I would love some suggestions. thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:outboard to i/o conversion 11 years 2 weeks ago #76116

hi. i think doing this would depend on several things. first do you want it to look "factory"? second,would you rather itch from working with fiberglass than clean grease from under your fingernails? third,do you like wearing horsehair shirts? if you answer no to #1 and yes to #2&3 then proceed with the conversion.
i believe that the best route would be to find a sedan with the factory installed i/o. it will probably have the fiberglass stringers,the fiberglass pieces for the motor enclosure,and the cast trim pieces too. rebuilding the motor and drive would be much easier than engineering the retro fit into your 59. if your really"love"your 59 consider keeping it as is and doing a restore on another with the i/o.(yes,i am guilty of having more than one sedan) most important,enjoy your sedan.

Re:outboard to i/o conversion 11 years 2 weeks ago #76117

Can't help you on the Glasspar history but on the conversion it is not at straight forward as it seems but not a monumental undertaking depending on how mechanically inclined you are.

I have helped out on a couple conversions and most liked the change from 2 stroke to 4,(noise, fuel consumption, smoke) and cost was about half of a new 4 stroke outboard. But there are weight considerations as well as balance/ballast to be accounted for.

I have thought about it on my Uniflite but decided to keep it close to stock and run Homelites now. Kinda the best of both worlds.

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:outboard to i/o conversion 11 years 2 weeks ago #76125

thanks for the points i've thought about a second sedan but out where i'm at there hard to come by. much easier to find an old runabout for a couple hundred, snatch the the motor and outdrive, trash the boat, sell the trailer. don,t mind the work just need pics of sedans with i/o installed

Re:outboard to i/o conversion 11 years 2 weeks ago #76126

64_Express wrote:

Can't help you on the Glasspar history but on the conversion it is not at straight forward as it seems but not a monumental undertaking depending on how mechanically inclined you are.

I have helped out on a couple conversions and most liked the change from 2 stroke to 4,(noise, fuel consumption, smoke) and cost was about half of a new 4 stroke outboard. But there are weight considerations as well as balance/ballast to be accounted for.

I have thought about it on my Uniflite but decided to keep it close to stock and run Homelites now. Kinda the best of both worlds.

if you have any photos of the conversions I would love to see them. the engine compartment area is what I need to see.

Re:outboard to i/o conversion 11 years 2 weeks ago #76127

I love the boat but more and more lakes are going to 4 stroke only. newer 4 stroke outboards prices ore unreal.

Re: outboard to i/o conversion 11 years 2 weeks ago #76130

sedanman,

WELCOME ABOARD.

You didn't ask for my advice but it, nonetheless, is: DON'T.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:outboard to i/o conversion 11 years 2 weeks ago #76172

I will see if i can find some. My advice would really be to find a homelite. I absolutely love mine. Just mounted a second one and getting the rigging completed. A single 55 pused my cruiser just shy of 20 but the fuel consumption is around 1/4 of the 100hp golden meteor i had. Plus they can be found for far less than a conversion or new 4 stroke and wont destroy the originality. Billr is a great source on these motors also.

Nick

Re:outboard to i/o conversion 11 years 2 weeks ago #76182

you know i have never heard of a homelite is it an outboard? i'LL HAVE TO RESEARCH THAT

Re:outboard to i/o conversion 11 years 2 weeks ago #76195

Yes they are an outboard built from the early 1960's through the early 70's. They came in either a 55 hp or 85 hp. The 85's are very rare. I'm still looking for one. Browse through the Homelite/Bearcat discussion group. Here is a pic of mine
Attachments:

Nick

Re: outboard to i/o conversion 11 years 2 weeks ago #76198

sedanman,

YEP, an outboard. - they were made from 1961-72 (I think)and are TOUGH & CHEAP to operate.
(I've bought a BIG/WIDE/HEAVY (the bare hull weighs 930#) 17-foot Silver Line Dart runabout & plan to use a Homelite/Bearcat 55 to power it, having asked Bill R about it. = The DART should CRUISE about 19MPH & "top-out" about 23-25MPH.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: outboard to i/o conversion 10 years 10 months ago #78390

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I have been thinking about converting my Seafair sedan to an I/O also. (Hell...I thought it was an original idea...Didn't know Glasspar actually made them!) Anyway, I have pretty much settled on using a 225 V6 (Buick based) with a stringer outdrive. The idea is to hide the engine (in a retro style enclosure) and have the stringer hanging out the back looking very vintage. I know it will be heavier in the rear but probably not more than 200 lbs which means I invite one less fat chick aboard...no problem!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.508 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'