Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1971 duo x15

1971 duo x15 11 years 7 months ago #69019

Well I"m finally getting around to doing my brothers boat (which I convinced him to buy :laugh: ) I've been able to put it on the back burner for a while, because he has been overseas but now he will be coming home at the end of the year. So I figured I better get a move on it. The story behind the Duo is our great uncle had one when we were kids and we used to play in it at the dock for hours, it was always a real treat when we actually got to go for a ride :) My uncles boat is long gone and truthfully It probably was't worth restoring. But last year I found one just like his on ebay, the gelcoat is in unbelievable shape, and it has a newer transome, but the floor is as soft as a marshmallow. So once thats done it will be a real gem. Because the floor was so soft I made a cardboard pattern before I pulled the floor out. The stringers were completly soaked and half rotten so those are getting replaced too. I am replaceing the two on either side of the keel first then once those are done I will replace the keel stringer. The thought is it will help maintain the shape of the hull. I did brace up the hull, but I figured better safe than sorry. Maybe its over kill but thats what I'm doing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 7 months ago #69034

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like you're making good progress there Jetflite, keep the pics and progress reports coming! I think your brother will be proud of you when he gets home, pretty cool background on the boat thanks for sharing. ;)

Mark

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 7 months ago #69184

I got quite a bit done today :) I finshed grinding out the keel stinger and to my suprise there was water underneath the stringer. The duo has been in a garage out of the weather for 2 years, I can't believe that it didn't dry out in that time. I managed to get the stringers glassed in and the floor intstalled. I was not going to cover the entire floor with fiberglass like it was originally, but instead just cover it with resin to water proof it. The boat is getting carpet so I don't see the point. Is there any good reason to fiberglass the entire floor?
Attachments:

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 7 months ago #69234

Had a busy sunday, got the bildge well done today. I made it a little bigger than it was originaly. The original one was quite small and seemed insufficient for a bildge pump. I made the sides for it with a fiberglass strip made on a board covered in saranwrap. I then cut it into three peices and held them in place with resin jelly. Once that was formed up it was really easy to fiberglass the bildge well.
Attachments:

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 7 months ago #69248

• MarkS

I was not going to cover the entire floor with fiberglass like it was originally, but instead just cover it with resin to water proof it. The boat is getting carpet so I don't see the point. Is there any good reason to fiberglass the entire floor?

Maybe one of the gang with more experience can chime in, but I choose to go with two (probably overkill?) layers of csm on top of the plywood floor. (One layer on the bottom side.) After reading countless threads and gathering advise from trusted friends who have been doing this a long time, I figured the small increase in materials cost was worth the effort in increased protection for the wood. Carpet will have a tendency to hold moisture underneath when it gets wet, so that really doesn't decrease the need for protection IMHO.

Just my two cents worth, FWIW. You're making great progress there, keep up the good work!

Mark

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 7 months ago #69260

Make sure you get a couple of good coats of resin on it to make sure you don't have pinholes in it. The floor will rot out fast if water gets into it.Putting glass on the floor is one of those things that is debatable. I always glass mine so that I have that little extra protection on the floor.More members will jump in here with there ideas. Looks like a great job your doing there, keep it going be sure to post more pics. Skip.

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 7 months ago #69295

Thanks for the advice, you've got me thinking now. I already have one coat of resin on the floor. I think I'll put a second coat of resin down and then use the left over hull paint from the jetflite to paint the floor and really seal it good. Now I have another question. The previous owners replaced the original cable steering system with a push pull, which is much nicer. The problem is the steering wheel is ugly. So I got an original steering wheel of a parts boat and had it powder coated. I want to put the pretty steering wheel on the newer steering system, and have the best of both worlds :) But I can't seem to be able to get the large sprocket looking thing off the shaft to mount the vintage steering wheel. Do any of you guys know how to accomplish this task?
Attachments:

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 7 months ago #69316

• MarkS
That's an aluminum adapter hub for the steering wheel you're taking off, just slides down onto the 3/4" taper shaft. Corrosion has probably got it stuck on there, may have to use penetrating fluid and/or a puller to get it off. You can also thread the nut onto the shaft a little to protect the threads, and give it a "whack" with a soft faced hammer while pulling up on the adapter. Many times this will break the hub loose on the shaft allowing you to remove it.

Mark

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 6 months ago #69853

I decided to take advantage of the good weather today and get the floor glassed in per your advice. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the paint on the floor as well, to really seal the whole thing up. I also managed to get the adapter hub off and the new old steering wheel on and it looks great :)
Attachments:

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 6 months ago #69987

Well the resin still has'nt fully cured yet, its still a little sticky. So I decided to try out the new buffer and see just how well the old girl will polish up. I'm using 3M wax and restore, and it seems to be working great :) Does any one have any good tips for polishing the wind sheild? I've heard that you can use tooth paste, has anyone tried this method?
Attachments:

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 6 months ago #69991

The gel coat is looking GREAT!! For the windshield I've used Meguire's Plastix with decent results. Go to this link it will tell you a lot.
www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/windshield-101-shining-up-that-old-windshield

Bob

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 5 months ago #71071

Its been a while but I got the floor painted to seal it, and installed the new brass drain plug tube. I used a bolt and locknut to flare it out and properly install it. The only thing left to do is put an aluminum plate on the back of the transom, and install the motor. I'm leaving the carpet selection up to my brother, there are many grades and colors to choose from and I figure its best left up to him :)
Attachments:

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 5 months ago #71079

Excellent work, she looks great!

Bob

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 5 months ago #71084

Wow, nice. So, when we going boating?

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 5 months ago #71109

Looking really nice there. I like how you did your draintube. Skip.

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 5 months ago #71767

• otto
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
you are a fine craftsman.

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 5 months ago #71814

Thanks for the complements guys. I was able to take advantage of the nice weather today and get some work done on the transom. I drilled out the existing holes and counter sunk them to give the resin more surface area to bond too. I filled the holes with resin jelly which seems to work nice for filling small holes. I also got an aluminum plate to cover all the filled holes and better support the motor, plus I like how it looks. Unfortunetly I told my friend who got the aluminum plate for me the wrong dimentions, so I had to use a circular saw to cut off 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of it. I then used a belt sander to smooth the edge off. I should be able to mount the motor soon.
Attachments:

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 5 months ago #71819

• MarkS

plus I like how it looks

Me too! Loookin' good Jetflite, you're getting close now. :)
Attachments:

Mark

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 3 months ago #73022

Great looking boat! You've got me excited to finish my project. I got the same boat, I believe a '69 free from a friend with a 1971 Mercury 500 50HP. did some work on the engine to see if it was a project worth saving since my budget is next to zero. Got it running, moved to the boat and all is in great shape, hull and transom are both hard and rigid, only the gelcoat has a couple of dings.

Is your windshield original? Does anyone have any idea where to find a replacement or know how to possibly make one? Mine is split in half, looks like the last owner taped the heck out of it to keep it in one piece.

My first boat so a lot of learning on the job, I've got the fiberglass bug!

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 3 months ago #73025

• MarkS
Welcome aboard, Dpride. Here's a thread you may find interesting;
www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/member-projects/new-windshield#68426

Mark

Re:1971 duo x15 11 years 6 days ago #76407

Well its been awhile but I mounted the 1966 50hp merc short shaft on the Duo and, handed it over to my brother. I have way to many projects myself and I didn't want to deprive my brother from the joy of working on his own boat lol. All that he needs to do is put in carpet, hook up the mercontrols, hook up the steering, install the seats, install speedometer and tachometer, put on the duo emblems, finish buffing and waxing the hull and, get a canvas top made for the boat. Oh and try to get the motor running, hopefully it just starts right up on the first try fingers crossed. I figure that should only take maybe 2 days tops HaHa. When he finishes all that I will post pictures.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6469 guests and one member online