Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 64 sea king 15ft project for newby....help

64 sea king 15ft project for newby....help 11 years 9 months ago #64934

hi i am new to boats all together,someone gave me a boat,a 64 sea king with a 60 hp johnson motor that has been sitting for a good while..maybe 15 years.i dont really know whwere to start,the boat seems solid and the motor i am not sure,they said it ran when they parked it but that when they put a water pump on the motor it still needed a gasket for it.i dont even know if the 60hp is too big or what.i will try and put pics on here please weigh in with any responses,its dirty,old and messy.,thanx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:64 sea king 15ft project for newby....help 11 years 9 months ago #64937

how do you submit pics?i clicked on the browse,got the pic,opened the file and it will not load it

Re:64 sea king 15ft project for newby....help 11 years 9 months ago #64944

You probably have to re-size it smaller. You can use this site if you want.

www.online-image-editor.com/

Welcome Aboard!

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:64 sea king 15ft project for newby....help 11 years 9 months ago #64947

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
here's a link the support forum's thread on pic posting:

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/7-support/22256-how-to-post-pictures.html

i use Picasa for editing the photos. it's free from Google. folks on here have had success with the ones mentioned in the thread as well.

i've got two 1962 16' sea kings here. they're factory rated for 75hp. there's a decal on the starboard side of the boat, on the surface above where you'd rest your arm, about 12-18" from the rear of the boat. at least that's where mine are. it's just a stamped foil sticker and seems to fade easily. i'd be suprised if yours wasn't rated for at least 60hp.

as far as it being old dirty and messy... that's what it's all about. it's a project! make sure to have fun and feed us all the pics you can along the way!

as far as where to start goes:

with the boat, i'd check the hull/floor/transom for rot, damage, and misc edits from previous owners. the PO of my boat decided to add a keel (with questionable craftsmanship) and put some screws straight up through the bottom of the boat for some reason. it's always nice to find that kind of stuff out before you dive headlong into a project. the transom can be tested for rot by drilling small holes and looking for rotted wood (be sure to seal these up later). you can also lock the motor in the raised position and then lift up and pull down on the skeg to check for flex in the transom. check the floor for soft spots. generally your foot will work for that test.

with the motor, i'd start with testing the compression. after that, clean up the ignition components and check for spark. plan on a waterpump impeller, carb and fuel pump rebuild before running it.

most importantly, have fun. ask lots of questions and take lots of pics. both to entertain us and to get the most accurate responses to your questions. we're here to help. welcome aboard!

ps: littlefin is the resident clown. most of what he says is nonsensical. we keep him around though, because he makes the rest of us seem normal by comparison. :laugh:

Re:64 sea king 15ft project for newby....help 11 years 9 months ago #64973

here it is
Attachments:

Re:64 sea king 15ft project for newby....help 11 years 9 months ago #64975

thanx for the image help
Attachments:

Re:64 sea king 15ft project for newby....help 11 years 9 months ago #64976

last pic,any comments?
Attachments:

Re:64 sea king 15ft project for newby....help 11 years 9 months ago #64982

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
it appears, from what i can see, that most all of the hardware is there, even the aluminum brackets that go across the transom and cover the end of the rub rail. BOTH of mine are missing the port side one.

i believe that the railing up on the deck is aftermarket.

there is a little bit of information in the Glassic library here:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/sea_king

sea king was sold by montgomery ward, but they didn't manufacture the boat or any of the parts on it. all of that was farmed out to other manufacturers. i'm not sure who was making what in 1964, but others on here will chime in, no doubt.

if i'm seeing things correctly, it looks as though your trailer has rollers only - no bunks. that is something you will probably want to change. bunks do a much better job of supporting the hull than rollers.

nice boat!

-Chris

Re:64 sea king 15ft project for newby....help 11 years 9 months ago #64983

Let's see some pics of that engine?

Once you start, you will be hooked. Don't give up.
My project boat took 5 years to get it on the water.
It had sat outdoors for 13 years uncovered before I bought it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)