Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merc 1350 project

Merc 1350 project 12 years 3 weeks ago #58374

Merc questions are over on the Merc Forum, but I figured I'd post pics as I go at this project right here in the Project forum!

Here's what I started with...

Two motors, both 1350's, one #'s match (parts motor - salty), the one on the engine hoist. The other is an early 1350 powerhead on a later mid & lower unit.

I also got a couple shrouds, a good faceplate and hood; essentially everything I need to make one motor.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Merc 1350 project 11 years 8 months ago #65766

Got the good power head apart a while ago, then this a.m. got the rings off the pistons. No big deal, no special tools or effort required. Saved 12 rings, but have all new anyways. Got the top of one piston de-carboned, will work on the rest as I get a chance. Now I need to do a bit more cleaning, get prepared for power head re-assembly!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Merc 1350 project 11 years 8 months ago #65771

cool frank,i already saw your boat fly,litterally,i saw the bottom of your boat with merc 1000 on it,i cant imagine your boat with this 1350,holy crap,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Merc 1350 project 11 years 8 months ago #65773

It will just be flying a bit higher John, no problem! More torque too, pull tubers easier...

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Merc 1350 project 11 years 8 months ago #65807

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see her fly with that baby on it!

Bob

Re:Merc 1350 project 11 years 8 months ago #65808

Thanks Bob! I wanted to work on it tonight, but had some stuff to do outside and got wasp and bee stings, sorta crewed up my night. On the positive side, I just tired our puppy out throwing things for him to fetch. He's a great little dog, smart, funny and hard not to play with!

I'll get some time on the 1350 in the morning before work. More to come!

Frank

Re:Merc 1350 project 11 years 8 months ago #65816

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
A fresh 1350. You are gonna scare that puppy when you take him for a ride!! Make sure the bilge pump is working! ;)
Go Frank.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Merc 1350 project 11 years 8 months ago #65819

thanks to frank ,his merc 1000 is going on my 13'3" devil ray,next year,thanks frank i appreciate you giving me 1st crack next season,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Merc 1350 project 11 years 8 months ago #65822

Neil wrote:

A fresh 1350. You are gonna scare that puppy when you take him for a ride!! Make sure the bilge pump is working! ;) Go Frank.

Ya think Neil? I'm not sure what he thought when I mashed the throttle with him in it last week. Either he was holding on to Gail for dear life or vice versa. Actually, I think it was probably Gail doing the squeezing!

We went to a friend's waterfront cottage while on vacation, and just as I parked the boat in the center of their boat lift, Buckley jumps out and lands splash in the water! We got him a little doggy life preserver with a handle on it, so he got to practice doggy paddle a second or two before Gail just reached down and pulled all wet 9 #s of him out. He's awful funny looking when he's wet!

Frank

Re:Merc 1350 project 11 years 8 months ago #65827

john-gibson wrote:

thanks to frank ,his merc 1000 is going on my 13'3" devil ray,next year,thanks frank i appreciate you giving me 1st crack next season,john

wow...can't wait to see that combo...get goin on it john, could possibly have 5 model rays at a show next year.

Re:Merc 1350 project 11 years 8 months ago #66073

Got home from work a couple hours ago and went at these pistons. They really weren't too bad. Bottom groove on all of them was clean, mid grooves not bad, most of the carbon on the top grooves. Used carb cleaner, parts brush, and aluminum scotchbrite pads on my drill to carefully clean the sides and tops of the pistons. Used a broken ring to clean the grooves. Kept everything moist with carb cleaner while I worked.

Frank

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)