Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: flying scott vinyl decking question

flying scott vinyl decking question 7 years 4 months ago #129050

hi all - really enjoying all the posts and info share on this site. i have recently been bitten by this old fibreglass bug when my wife saw this old boat for sale - she thought it looked cool so we bought it - a 1962 flying scott. We used it this summer and now i thought i would work on her a bit for next year. the deck has been painted and we like the original plank vinyl look..... how did the factory get that sheet vinyl to conform to the complex curves of the top deck? is beyond me - they must heat up the sheet and lay it on the glued substrate ?? or is it really thin stuff? any help here on how to restore this look would be much appreciated.

previously we found the original 75hp motor in eastern canada and replaced the mid 90's merc. the cable info i got here worked! it needs a tuneup but am moving on to the cosmetics for now.

thanks all for any input

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:flying scott vinyl decking question 7 years 4 months ago #129146

I have a 61 and would love to replace the deck vinyl also.

Re:flying scott vinyl decking question 7 years 4 months ago #129159

i have a neighbour who restores old cars and does alot of bodywork - he had a look at the top deck of my boat and we both agreed that originally it probably was curved only from side to side and not front to back - it has some gentle 'wows' in it from age and a bunch of kids jumping around on it - i am going to straighten it out via bodywork and some substrate repair and see if i can warm up a pce of vinyl and glue it down - not sure if i have time to get into a repaint and vinyl job this winter though.......but i think i am just going to go for it at some point. let me know if you find out any process - nice to keep finding more scotts out there :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)