Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1956 Glasspar Del Mar

1956 Glasspar Del Mar 8 years 4 months ago #117611

Hello FG's. I am new to this forum and thought I'd say hello. My wife said "No More Projects!" I said ok, and purchased this 1956 Glasspar Del Mar. Neither one of us could resist her beautiful body style

I am hesitant to post here because most people on this site fully restore their boats to the nth degree. I have no intention to taking this boat to that level, because I'd actually like to use it sometime before I die. So what you see is what you get, and go ahead and speak up if you see something that will kill me. Otherwise, getting this boat to water is my goal. It surely hasn't seen it in 20 or 30 years. I'd like to go boat camping in many of California's and the nation's beautiful lakes.

I picked up this boat for $100. I managed to get new registration on it (before I invested restoration monies). Thanks for looking- Jonathan
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1956 Glasspar Del Mar 8 years 4 months ago #117612

Here is a rear/inside view to give idea of condition.
Attachments:

Re: 1956 Glasspar Del Mar 8 years 4 months ago #117622

Luckyramu,

WELCOME ABOARD. = NEAT boat, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1956 Glasspar Del Mar 8 years 4 months ago #117623

Welcome , what a classic !!!

Re:1956 Glasspar Del Mar 8 years 4 months ago #117635

That is wonderful!

Re:1956 Glasspar Del Mar 8 years 4 months ago #117637

Jonathan, welcome aboard and thanks for the response to my Resorter thread. It's a work in progress. ;) that's a very nice Del Mar you have there and a great price too! Looks to be in pretty decent shape from what I can tell from that pic. Of course pics can still hide lots of things.

The two major things to worry about are the floor and transom as you probably know from reading the posts here. If the floor is solid and you don't get any wet wood from the transom then your way ahead.

To check the transom, drill a 1/8" hole toward the bottom of the transom on the inside, about 1/4" - 3/8" deep and see what the shavings come out like. If they're black and soggy then you're going to need to replace the transom. you can always mix up a little epoxy to fill the hole back in if it's not wet.

If the transom is dry then our stringers may be dry but 9 times out of 10 they're rotted too. The only way to tell that is if the floor is removed and a window cut in it to inspect.

Looking at your pic it looks like the floor and side ply may have already been replaced at some point. guess I should have just asked that in the first place. ;)

Bob

Re:1956 Glasspar Del Mar 8 years 4 months ago #117663

Cool boat. I couldn't have passed that up either

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6145 guests and one member online