Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do you thread rubber into rubrail on Seafair?

How do you thread rubber into rubrail on Seafair? 9 years 9 months ago #96611

• mtdoragary
  • mtdoragary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have new Wefco rubber for my rubrail on my Glasspar Seafair sedan. I was able to thread it only about a foot and a half! What's the trick and how many people do I need?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Blest boater

Re:How do you thread rubber into rubrail on Seafair? 9 years 9 months ago #96615

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
It's a "C Channel" rub rail, right Gary? Start at one end and lay the lower lip into the channel for a few feet. Use a screwdriver or stiff putty knife to pry the upper lip into the channel as you go.

Laying the insert out in the sun for a while before starting helps soften it up and make it more pliable.

Mark

Re:How do you thread rubber into rubrail on Seafair? 9 years 9 months ago #96694

Gary:

Welcome back stranger! ;) How are you liking your new home in Alabama??

Gary, I recently installed the new "Wefco" Rubrail on our 1960 Seafair Sedan. I did a detailed explanation with pictures on how to easily get the new rubrail on a Seafair Sedan. Here is the link to my "Refurbish Of Our Seafair Sedan" thread over on CG.
GO TO PAGES 44-46 for the rubrail install buddy!

www.classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=2&id=23612&Itemid=535

Good luck Gary!

John_P

Re:How do you thread rubber into rubrail on Seafair? 2 years 2 months ago #146199

John. I know this was a few years ago, but wondering if you still have any of that install pic/description. I'm gonna be doing the same thing in a couple of weeks

How do you thread rubber into rubrail on Seafair? 2 years 2 months ago #146201

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I've done many of these rubrail jobs. I set the lower edge of about 12" rubrail into the bottom of the channel and then thump the top of the rubber downward with a dead blow hammer which persuades the top edge to snap into the aluminum channel. A little WD-40 doesn't hurt. Just work your way along about a foot at a time. Heating the coil of rubber with hot water in a laundry tub also helps some. If this system doesn't work, get a bigger hammer.

One last thought: Generally, installing this stuff stretches it some. Don't cut off the end until after a day or two or at least cut it a couple inches too long. If you cut it to fit, a few days later, you may find that it's about an inch too short.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

How do you thread rubber into rubrail on Seafair? 2 years 2 months ago #146206

I put the roll out in the sun for a while before installing it. Also use a plastic hammer to help it in but use windex or alcohol to help lubricate it. Bottle of alcohol in a spray bottle is cheap and works super on rub rail and you can use it on your fingers when you miss with the hammer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nwtexan

How do you thread rubber into rubrail on Seafair? 2 years 2 months ago #146217

Thanks! Do you use any adhesive? The Wefco folks were recommending 5200, which seems kind of extreme. It seems that between the mechanical connection of the channels and the screws at the trim pieces, it would be pretty secure without, but I haven’t done it, so.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7181 guests and no members online