Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Please help me identify this Herters Boat

Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82714

Looking at possibly buying this boat. Guy is wanting around $500. I am worried about the transom cut. Also there is no trailer, motor, or title. Thoughts? Thanks for any help you can be. Looks pretty solid inside.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82715

another view
Attachments:

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82716

More pics ... I hope these are showing up.
Attachments:

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82717

one more
Attachments:

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82718

last image
Attachments:

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82736

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
You need to resize your pictures or something, I'm not seeing anything. Other than that, the registration might be a problem with no title. What state??

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82775

Hopefully the pics will be here ....

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82777

My two cents? Run away. MAJOR project, a boat like that, to me, is a giveaway, you can find much nicer for $500. With at least a trailer, and probably a motor.
Don't know what state you are in, but the lack of a title may or may not be a major issue. Check with your DMV before you do anything, I just went through a major issue with that. If I were you, though, I would keep looking.

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82778

Thanks for the help with the pics! Much appreciated.

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82781

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
If the bow handel, and fin script are in decent shape it's worth it. Herters was real big on Aluminum stringers and supports no wood so that cuts down on a lot of work. Have you checked out the Herters section in the Glassics Library? Read about their construction before you make up your mind. Should you decide to pass it by please post its whereabouts so someone can rescue it. You will be able to tell more once it is pressure washed. That thing is filthy. Oh for my two cents a good find. Talk the guy down.

Float happy - Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82782

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi, I agree with Al,, this is a very do able boat with a great reward when you are done,Yes it is the least desirable of the 4 yrs of Herters but it is a unique boat when you are done,But if it is a give away there will be plenty of takers,I have the full set 56 57 58 59,,Do a little research and make up your own mine,I have did a lot worse and paid a lot more but glad I have them Bill

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82783

I am in Iowa and will have to check with DMV about titling for the boat. I am pretty much the research department for my Dad and his "finds". He has fallen in love with the idea of restoring a Glassic and he has me hooked!!
So far, we have found and bought a 1965 Sea King, older Span (year??), & a Glasstron (think it is a 1958 but not sure of the model).

He really liked the Glasstron so sold the Sea King and Span recently to focus on one project. That is until we came across the Herters. The Glasstron cleaned up really nice after a 3 hr cleanup and interior strip!
Attachments:

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82785

Glasstron Interior Pic - Any help with Model and Year would be appreciated too.
Attachments:

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82786

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The Glastron did clean up nice from the pic. It to is desirable, The Herters has a real loyal following. Ya got to love those fins.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82787

1965 Sea King
Attachments:

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82788

1967 Span
Attachments:

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82797

jaker41,

WELCOME ABOARD.

$ 500.oo???? = The current owner is living in a dream world. =====> If you look around even a little bit, you can find a NICE (and RARE) boat, motor & trailer that RUNS for 500 bucks or less.
(Boats like that one are often FREE.)

To give you one example: I recently found a 1958 Texas-made (NOT a Texas Maid.)16' runabout with Dal-Tex trailer and a 35HP Evinrude that runs for 275.oo - The small boatbuilder that built the hull built less than 25 boats before going bankrupt in 1960.
(fyi, I have a list of over 75 TX "small & independent" boatbuilders.- Many other states have many, too.)

just my opinion, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82806

jaker41,

First the disclaimer. It is difficult to judge the condition of a boat from pictures, but here is what I am seeing.
The boat is either a 1959 Herters Mark III, or a 1959 Herters Flying Fish Standard. Measure from the tip of the bow casting to the rear of the transom. If it's 15 feet it's a Flying Fish Standard. If it's 14 feet it's a Mark III.
The Flying Fish Standard is a little more desirable than a Mark III model because it's longer and wider. The most desirable Herters is the single cockpit El Dorado and then the 57 and 58 Flying Fish Deluxe models because of their huge fins.
As Al and Bill have mentioned, the boat looks restoreable.
It looks like all the trim and hardware are there except the glove box. See if it's laying in the boat somewhere. Repops are available, but pricey. The windshield looks like the tall original Herters model, but will need to be replaced. Check all the castings and support pieces under the seats and front deck. They are often cracked and pieces may be missing.
The question mark, as you have noted, is the transom. It appears that it had the optional 20 inch transom and some one modified it. It can be repaired, or as some have done, replaced with a wood transom.
I wouldn't worry too much about the condition of the fiberglass at all. It's easily repaired. There will be a lot of grinding and sanding on the deck and hull however, to get a good finish.
If you are thinking about showing it might be easier to start with nicer one, but it is possible to make this one show ready. Problem is, Herters runabouts are becoming scarce and "nice" ones aren't turning up for sale as much unless they have already been restored.
If you just want to have a good looking glassic that you want to cruise around in and not worry about it being 100% authentic, this one would be a good candidate.
As Al mentioned, the big thing is all the aluminum trim and hardware. If it's all there and not chewed up or busted up the rest is not too difficult.
As for the price, it's not really out of line. I have seen this model go for more, in the same condition. Never hurts to start low though.
I've attached a pic of our 59 Mark III that we sold recently.

Don
Attachments:

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82817

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Check this out. www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/member-projects/1959-herters-rebuild

I paid $250 for the boat, motor, trailer. The motor ran but the boat need a MAJOR rebuild. The hull was very good and strong, the upper was full of holes from the PO but nothing that couldn't be fixed. There are 12 pages on this rebuild so you will get a good idea what's involved.

Good luck with your decision.
Cal

Re:Please help me identify this Herters Boat 10 years 7 months ago #82835

It all depends on what a buyer would pay for a boat. I'd try to talk him down but those fins are talking to me by mental telepathy saying things like, "You understand me, buy me." and things like that. That boat has a sole and wants to live. I know one thing for sure. I'd love to have those fins in the present condition in my back yard. How bad do you want it?????

Please help me identify this Herters Boat 2 years 7 months ago #145343

Did anyone ever buy or do anything with this boat?
Gary

Please help me identify this Herters Boat 2 years 7 months ago #145345

I know i saw one in Craigslist the other day that was complete and looked to be restored. Had to be sitting down for the price though. The glove box lid was even there and it is elaborate.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7095 guests and no members online