• Page:

TOPIC: 1957 Glass Craft Monterey found

1957 Glass Craft Monterey found 11 years 8 months ago #66433

• finfanatic
  • finfanatic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all, I've been away for a while, but the search still continues for old, forgotten relics!

My most recent find is this 1957 Glass Craft "Monterey".

A few days ago, I rode with a friend to a city about two hours away. He had found an old car listed for sale on Craigslist and decided it would be a good idea for us both to go check it out. While searching for the guys road, we accidentally took a wrong turn down a small dead-end lane. Arriving near the end and the turn-around, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this little red and white jewel sleeping under a big oak tree, forlorn and forgotten, grew over with weeds and vines for apparently many years. I immediately noticed the "Glass Craft" emblems and got excited - I didn't remember ever seeing this particular model before. I had to stop and ask. The older gentleman who came to the door was very friendly and very willing to sell. He didn't know any history on it, other than the fact that he had bought it several years ago at a Police auction! Boat, trailer and no motor. We struck a deal and my friend and I came back for her later that day, after checking out the old car. It was an interesting ride home - I always love that part.

I've looked all over and can't find another surviving example of this model. Apparently there was a fire at the Glass Craft plant in 1957, so maybe there aren't many of these around? I can tell you that the metal serial number and model ID plate had never been engraved, which to me is very odd.

The windshield and supports are neat and seem to be in good shape, just very, very dirty. Check out the wild Airguide pod style speedo and the old clock in the dash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1957 Glass Craft Monterey found 11 years 8 months ago #66438

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looks like a cool find. Funny how things work out..

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:1957 Glass Craft Monterey found 11 years 8 months ago #66447

I'd love to see her restored. Look at the size of those horns. Nice find!!!

Re: 1957 Glass Craft Monterey found 11 years 8 months ago #66452

finfanatic; ALL,

NIFTY HULL! - i've never seen one of those at all.

to ALL: i "got a nibble" on a HOLLYWOOD BOATWORKS I/O Utility of Houston this PM. - IF it is a 19' or larger hull (which is what it sounds like) HB hull and all in one piece, it is ONE of (likely) TWO total that still exist. - furthermore, i'm told that essentially ALL of the I/O Utilities were built on Special Order, so there never were very many.
Wish me luck.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1957 Glass Craft Monterey found 11 years 8 months ago #66454

That looks to be the same speedo that I have in my Reinell. The horns are great. I only have one 6" horn (that is).

Re:1957 Glass Craft Monterey found 11 years 8 months ago #66464

Nice looking boat. Great to see an actual boat and not just the drawing from the 1957 brochure (in the Glassic Library).

Glass Craft had a fire on 23 April 1956. It wiped out most of their facility and molds and tooling. They rebuilt at Fort Dodge. In April 1959 they moved to nearby Humboldt, Iowa to a brand new factory. They had a fire at this new facility on 08 May 1959. It was completed razed. They never fully recovered.

Andreas

Re:1957 Glass Craft Monterey found 11 years 8 months ago #66584

• finfanatic
  • finfanatic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys, I would love to restore her some day. The horns are one of the features I love the most as well.

Has anyone out there ever seen another '57 Monterey in person, or even an actual photo(instead of a drawing)?

Re:1957 Glass Craft Monterey found 11 years 8 months ago #66591

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Nice SCORE R,,: Another TENN gem..like the top deck & inside fin location.. I seem to have the same clock on the 54 feather dash.
The side graphic swoosh is close to a Norris Craft of your region.
. The trl seems to be the same DILLY as under my 59 G-3. The front tilt / pivot bracket was cracking away , so my neighbor welded
the center square bar to the cross member for better support / strength..

Again CONGRATS. Damn , you are in a good area in that part of state.

1957 Glass Craft Monterey found 3 years 3 weeks ago #144176

Here is a few pictures of my 1957 Glass Craft in the water. I am missing the windshield but it still has all the chrome & original “suicide steering”.

1957 Glass Craft Monterey found 1 year 6 months ago #147207

Awesome to see another glasscraft still on the water! Here’s my 57’ I purchased it from someone in Montana. Apparently there was a dealer in Wyoming and Idaho so that’s probably where mine was sent after being made. After searching the internet for countless hours I haven’t came up with too much information on them so there’s probably not too many left.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6996 guests and no members online