Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: This thread is worth a look

This thread is worth a look 13 years 11 months ago #5865

Attached thread on Trailer forum regarding lead fortified paints. I did some more reading on this subject last night - It might be a good idea to consider this subject before starting any work on paint removal.

BG

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/trailer-talk/lead-paint

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:This thread is worth a look 13 years 11 months ago #5894

Bruce,
Good advice!
I work for a restoration company, and we commonly use stripping agents and chemicals to remove paints and coatings. Some of the stuff is down right nasty and should not be used by a typical home owner. However, there are some that work very well, are PH neutral and don't contain all the nasty stuff. I have used one called Smart Strip manufactured by Dumond Chemical. Here is a link to the product data.

www.dumondchemicals.com/pdf/smartstripfinaldatasheet.pdf

This is usually distributed through paint supply companies. I have used it and it works well. I like to remove it with hot water from my pressure washer. Maybe it can help someone eliminate the nasty dust, perhaps lead paint dust. I usually put a large sheet of plastic under the part to be stripped. Apply the stripper, let it dwell over night. Then i go out the next day and hit it with hot water, and watch paint fly. After the water evaporates from the plastic, i roll up the plastic and dumpster it all. In our business, we do lead abatement quite often. It is nasty and should not be messed with. I echo Bruces words of wisdom when it comes to lead. There are simple lead test kits available for anyone who wants to test old paint for lead.
Removing it under a wet application rather than sanding dust is always better.
Thanks again for a good reminder Bruce !!!

Mike Russon

Re:This thread is worth a look 13 years 11 months ago #5939

This discussion would make a good article.

Re:This thread is worth a look 13 years 11 months ago #5995

I have trailer frames sandblasted by a pro. It doesn't cost that much and it produces a much better result.

Peter
in Denver

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)