Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise!

Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise! 13 years 11 months ago #5808

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
While out cruising my local lake in the Starflite today, I ventured off into a part (upriver) I haven't visited in several years, and ran aground on a submerged sand bar! The water intake must have sucked in some sand, as the water pressure gauge went to 0. As I was reaching for the key to shut her off, the alarm went off indicating overheat.

I let her cool down for about two hours while I used the trolling motor to return to a marina. After arriving, I fired the motor up again but had no water pressure so I shut it right back off. Called a friend to come pick me up, take me back to where my pickup and trailer were, took about two hours more. (Had a flat on the trailer on the way back, wouldn't you know it.) Fired the motor to put her on the trailer and the pressure gauge went higher than it's ever gone before, then returned to normal operating range. ?

I flushed the motor with the ear muffs when I got home, got quite a bit of sand out of the motor. My question now is, should I pull the impeller and check it, or not? It's running normal pressure and there appears to be no more sand coming out, I'm just concerned about my baby, ya know!?!?!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise! 13 years 11 months ago #5812

You would have to had the motor running for a bit after sucking the sand into the pump, because the overheat takes a little time to react. Lucky for the alarm, it likely saved your motor.

The sand likely plugged up the supply to, or after the pump impeller - Once the sand began to dislodge, it probably got pumped through the motor, and may have partially blocked the discharge jets, resulting in higher than "normal" water pressure readings.

Question is - did the impeller starve for water, or was the passage blocked after the pump?

Best bet would be to check the impeller, especially if it's a few years old. If you just replaced it - you might take the boat to the boat ramp to wet test it. Leave the boat on the trailer & back it into the water enough to test the engine. Check to see that nothing can hit the lower unit or propeller.

Start the engine & check for correct water pressure. Run the boat at fast idle for 20 min to see if it maintains normal temp. If it acts the slightest bit off, pull the pump & replace.

Neoprene impellers can take sand pretty well if they are new/newish but the real damage comes from a dry / water starved pump.

Re:Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise! 13 years 11 months ago #5814

Id pull the lower off and inspect for sand in the water pump...guarantee you there is still some jammed up in there. Rinse off with water as necessary. Check the condition of the impeller and the walls inside the pump...if you havent replaced it in a while(year or two), might as well throw a new one in. Put it all back together, drop it in a bucket and see where your pressures at. There is a possibiity you injected sand into your water pressure gauge line so you might want to take that off and blow it out with compressed air to make sure your not getting false readings.

Your probably fine, but better safe than sorry.

Re:Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise! 13 years 11 months ago #5822

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
You left out one part to this story. In what month did you put the new impeller in? If the answer is never. CHANGE IT! NOW!!!!!!

Second. These engines used a enamel paint that would darken if over heated. Look at your port head. if the paint is still a nice old white your fine. If it's tinted a bronze color you cooked it. Replace that impeller and housing! AND DON'T SKIMP on the $100 housing. If you need more info call me (256) 404-1330............

Bad,,,, Bad Bad Mark!

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise! 13 years 11 months ago #5823

• MarkS
Thanks for the responses y'all, I appreciate the input. I just put the impeller in about a month or so ago, right after I bought the Starflite. This was it's fourth trip since, probably has 10 hours total on it.

I ran it on the muffs when I got home for almost 30 minutes, and the pressure seems fine, but I may pull it all apart anyway. I also have a test barrel, so I may give that a go and see what else comes out. The paint is all still shiny green, hopefully I didn't do any damage. I had planned on replacing the w/p housing next time anyway, it wasn't scored badly but looks like it could use a new one next go 'round.

Thanks Heather, like I don't feel bad enough already! Just Kidding, I earned the scolding, I know.

Mark

Re:Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise! 13 years 11 months ago #5834

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Green? What year is that engine? I Thought it was white?

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise! 13 years 11 months ago #5836

• MarkS
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise! 13 years 11 months ago #5846

• MarkS
I've got a list together of the part numbers I need, if anybody has a line on OE stuff please call my cell 678-381-3759. (I bought Sierra kit last time, would prefer OE if available.)

Mark

Re:Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise! 13 years 11 months ago #5919

I think the Housing is NLA. Search Ebay by OMC part number or call SeaWay Marine in Seattle WA. If you call SeaWay - perpare to PAY!

Muffs don't tell if the pump is pumping on it's own - because the water pressure forces the water in there. Dunk it & see if it pumps & keeps the correct pressure.

Re:Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise! 13 years 11 months ago #5923

• MarkS
I'll get on checking it out, thanks for the tips BG. I was too tired to mess with it when I got home from work last night, getting old sux.

I wanted the "maximum flushing" effect of the muffs to help get the sand out, but will run in the test barrel to get a better idea of where I'm at with this. I'm gonna get on the parts search right away too, I plan on keeping this one a while. ;)

Mark

Re:Had a problem on the lake today, Need Advise! 13 years 11 months ago #5985

• MarkS
Okay gang, just finished the 30 minute test barrel run. Water pressure good, at least 'bout where it was before the "Bonehead Incident". Plenty of water coming out both exhaust reliefs after the thermostat opened fully.

Toward the end of the test, the idle pressure went down to about 2psi, where it was running at 3psi earlier. I don't remember exactly where it was prior, guess that's sufficient. Rev up brings the pressure up to about 8 or 9 psi, just like normal.

After draining the test barrel, there's a bunch of sand in the bottom! Too much for my liking, thinking I DO need to pull the lower and inspect even though we're pumping plenty of volume??? (Man, that water is HOT after running 30 minutes! Guess that's why Bruce suggested the lake, huh.)

Gave the good folks at Suncoast Marine in Largo, FL a call about the housing, they had a NOS w/p kit including the housing in stock, as well as the inner exhaust housing seal I need to replace in stock, should be here Friday! A little over "a Benjamen" for both, I'm feeling like my luck if finally getting a little better. Even if inspection reveals no problems in the pump impeller, I'm set for next time right?

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'