Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Old PWC?

Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #53899

I ran across this piece on the local classifieds recently and Im very interested in it but I'd like to know more about it before I take it on as a project.The seller dosen't have the engine and he dosen't know who made it so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #53901

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Dont know if its the same or not but I have an old Mechanics illistrated that has skiers being towed by small boats controlled from the ski's... I think thats how it worked I will see if I can find the article.

Re: Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #53902

Thanks! I've done several searches but I haven't been able to find anything similar to this.

Re: Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #53916

Maybe similar concept as this one:

www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1325477598

Re: Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #53925

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
This is a little float that pulls you through the water with a impellar pumps on each side ran by the engine,there is one restored in minn that I have the add someplace that is sililar,,my mind is not working for a name yet here is a pic of mine,,Bob Whiteside found mine and I bought it from him,,I have not did anything with it yet,The pic doesn't show the hood well,,Bill
Attachments:

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #53935

Here is the boat in Minnesota that is finished and he has used the craft. Is it the same? This one is called an Aqua Skimmer. Has a small air cooled motor with a jet pump drive I think. He shows it regular at meets around the area.

Del
Attachments:

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #53972

Thanks for all the info guys! Bill do you know what engine these originally came with?

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #53974

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
No, Not for sure but I think an old Briggs or even the old go cart race engines would be neat homelite??, Might be smart to put a newer weed wacker engine,,Not hi on the list right now,,Bill

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #53987

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Jim The last two links you posted were the articles I was looking for in my colletion. Glad you found them I wasnt finding them in my colection.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #53998

Thanks again for all the help! I plan to go pick it up first thing in the morning.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #54012

Dustin's first pics look very similar to a unit I have in my living room with a japanese two stroke engine - maybe two hp - and a jet drive unit sticking out the bottom. Same bar across the back, with a motorcycle twist-grip throttle. It is designed to pull you through the water at a slow speed while you look down with a face mask and snorkel. As an added bonus, the jet/prop wash blows right down your shorts :)

Stashm2 and HandyAndy are referring to a (relatively) high speed unit that acts as a water ski tug, with a 21 hp wankel engine.

bilnan's pic shows something similar to Dustin's and mine.

Herters59 shows an Aqua Skimmer, powered by a six horse Merc (at least that's the story in this link: )
www.boatdesign.net/forums/open-discussion/aqua-skimmer-sea-skimmer-38199.html
It looks like some similar products I've seen that were designed as medium speed rides - you'd ride half on them, steer with your legs in the water and achieve planing speeds. A friend of mine has one that was built in my hometown. He keeps trying to sell it to me but it looks damned uncomfortable.

G3jim gives a link to an entirely different concept, the Hydro-Mite in Boston. These had a truncated six horse omc engine - powerhead under the deck, lower unit sticking out the bottom, steered with rudder(or rudders). No midsection on the engine, and no swivel. These were boats you would ride on top of, and achieved planing speeds.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #54013

I'd turn it into RC control since i don't ski.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 4 months ago #54054

I picked it up this morning and found a tag that shows that it's a Mini Jet Model 973. Overall it's in decent condition with some cracking in the gelcoat.

Re: Old PWC? 12 years 3 months ago #55004

bilnan1 wrote:

This is a little float that pulls you through the water with a impellar pumps on each side ran by the engine,there is one restored in minn that I have the add someplace that is sililar,,my mind is not working for a name yet here is a pic of mine,,Bob Whiteside found mine and I bought it from him,,I have not did anything with it yet,The pic doesn't show the hood well,,Bill

Bill is that a capacity plate of some sorts on the right side of the Minijet near the handle? I've not been able to find any info about this paticular make and model.

Re: Old PWC? 12 years 3 months ago #55009

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It will be a while before I can dig to it we are under construction for a while and it is stored sorry Bill

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 3 months ago #55017

No problem! It will be a while before I get around to installing an engine or spraying on the new gelcoat.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 3 months ago #55216

I finally found the info that I've been searching for! This is a Swimobile made by Minijet Sportscarfts Inc. It's powered by a 5 HP Briggs & Stratton and will run up to 8mph.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 3 months ago #55390

I found the same in France, I'm buying it. It is a Briggs and Stratton 5hp to. Mine in front of the handle broken but the engine is not blocked.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 3 months ago #55494

I ran across the one in France while searching for info and it seemed to be in good condition. I would really like to see pics of yours if it wouldn't be to much trouble for you.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 3 months ago #55648

It is far from my house and I don't have get back it yet. As soon as I have it I send you pictures.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 3 months ago #55742

I found two other swimobile has to sell in France but the hood above is missing. I have to receive mine on February 24th. If I miss pieces I would set contact with the person who sells two others.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 2 months ago #56515

I received the swimobile today. It seems complete and in good condition apart the front handle is broken. I'll clean it and I would put pictures. The engine is not blocked.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 2 months ago #56526

Model number 11!

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 2 months ago #56590

I look forward to seeing some pics!

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 2 months ago #56695

Here's a 1961 photo from the New York Times for a Sea Skimmer by Aqua Sport Inc. of Kansas City. Electric motor, 6 hp or 22 hp.
Attachments:

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 2 months ago #56813

Attachments:

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 2 months ago #56814

I search a front handle.
Do you know what is it?

I don't have this in mine.
Attachments:

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 2 months ago #56819

Here's an advertisement for the Swimobile by Minijet Sportscrafts, Inc. that ran in the Jan. 28, 1973 issue of the New York Times. The Swimobile was exhibited at the New York Boat Show that week.
Attachments:

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 2 months ago #56994

Flovespa wrote:

I search a front handle.
Do you know what is it?

I don't have this in mine.

Mine just has a standard small fire extinguisher right there. I will probably just use a small anodized aluminum handle to replace the plastic handle on mine.

Re:Old PWC? 12 years 2 months ago #56995

I would really like to see some pics of the engine mounting and belt tensioner setup in yours since mine is missing. Does yours have this aluminum piece mounted to the stringers?

Re:Old PWC? 11 years 8 months ago #69205

No i haven't this aluminium piece.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Can you explain to me what these pipes and how it works?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
At first I thought the handle cut the ignition but there is no electric son.
Maybe it's an air intake that would make the turbine rotates in the air when you do not supported on the handle?

Re:Old PWC? 11 years 4 months ago #72999

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)