Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray

Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52364

• Ike
  • Ike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
[url=http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280786317490#ht_500wt_1182]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280786317490#ht_500wt_1182[/url]

Bought it on ebay. It's an 18 footer. I think it's a 185 SRV. But I'll know more after I pick it up. I am a short distance away from the boat location so it should be easy to go get it. I suspect the engine needs work but what the heck. For $405 I paid for the boat, I still have cash to work on the engien. It's a 6 cyl mercury and mercruiser outdrive so parts should not be a problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52372

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats on the "new" SeaRay Ike! I couldn't get the link to work, but looking forward to seeing pics of your new project. I know of several people who qualify as "Mercruiser fanatics", so if you need a hand with that baby let us know. ;)

Mark

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52373

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Congrats Ike.
I had one this summer that was a foot shorter. 302/888 Mercruiser. I have a friend with a Reinell with the 165 hp. straight six/Mercruiser in it.
Very dependable, surprisingly economical.
Keep us posted with pics. It should be a big stable boat for you.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52379

welcome to the world of Sea Ray
nothing rides better except maybe an old Chris Craft
the SRV185 is a great old boat and the Ford I6 is a dependable, economical powerplant.
and the pre-alpha drives are nearly indestructible

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52381

you should search and register for the Sea Ray Owners Club
gets some special deals on stuff and a free hat and sticker
will take a couple of emails to cust service to get in
because the system won't recognize your SER hull ID#
but they are great about helping.
and searay.com has archives if you want to do some research on it

have fun
Jim

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52401

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Jim. I happen to know one of the big shots at Brunswick who used to be a VP at Sea Ray. When I told him I had bought a Sea Ray I thought he was going to have a stroke. He knows I've always been a sailboat person. I probably will join the club.

Thanks to everyone. I am making arrangements with the seller to pick it up so I should have some photos soon.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52402

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Jim. I happen to know one of the big shots at Brunswick who used to be a VP at Sea Ray. When I told him I had bought a Sea Ray I thought he was going to have a stroke. He knows I've always been a sailboat person. I probably will join the club.

Thanks to everyone. I am making arrangements with the seller to pick it up so I should have some photos soon.

Some how I messed up an posted this twice.

Here's the full link Cut and paste it.
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280786317490&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1182

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52416

it's missing the swim platform(s)
some had split platforms
if you need ..I know where several are at a local marine salvage
I can get you thier ph#

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52435

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Well it was delivered today. The seller was kind enough bring it over because we're only a few miles away. The hull is in good shape. It has a few scratches and some crazing, and needs the finish restored, but there does not appear to be any major problems. But I haven't done a tap test on it yet. The engine is a bit grim, and needs a new exhaust manifold, but it has a new starter and solenoid.

Now for the bad news. The interior needs major work. The floor looks like it needs replacing, but it isn't spongy. The carpet is shot, all the seats need rebuilding especially the two rear seats which are totally rotted, and so does the engine cover. I haven't even looked at the sterndrive yet.

The scary part is the fuel system. It looks like the fuel hose has never been replaced, because they are labeled with the old SAE standard J30 that changed in 1986. The fuel tank is under the fore deck so it is probably ok because it was most likely always dry, but I will have to take the bulkhead off to find out.

I also haven't looked at the electrical system yet.

The trailer is a 1994 EZ Loader roller type. It has been recently painted, which can hide a multitude of sins, but I looked it over and it seems in good shape.

So far so good. For $405.00 it's definitely a bargain.

Thanks for the tip about the swim platform but I'll forego it for now.

Here's some pics. More to come later

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52499

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Here's a slide show with about 20 more pics

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/spinners1/Sea%20Ray/?albumview=slideshow

As you can see, needs work. These were taken in the rain before I could get a cover on the boat. I transferred the title and registration with no problem. Some fool painted over the DOT trailer plate and VIN number though. I have to find out if there is a second number stamped somewhere else on the trailer.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52511

• MarkS
She's a fine looking boat Ike, I'm sure you'll have her "ship shape" in no time! (Couldn't view the slideshow, said I needed a password?)

Mark

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52513

Nice looking ! Congretulation ;)

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52516

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #52740

The scary part is the fuel system. It looks like the fuel hose has never been replaced, because they are labeled with the old SAE standard J30 that changed in 1986. The fuel tank is under the fore deck so it is probably ok because it was most likely always dry, but I will have to take the bulkhead off to find out. If i it's a 165 Mercruiser it will havs a steel fuel line plus a 1/4 neoprene vac line from the pump to the carby

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 4 months ago #53229

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Right Mike. The fuel system needs complete upgrading. The tank is under the fore deck and it is a plastic tank. I will pressure test the fuel system before I ever start the engine. The alternator is also pretty scary looking as is the distributor and ignition system. I think a previous owner put in all auto parts. But all that is getting changed out.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 2 months ago #55531

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Our PNW weather has finally made it possible to get something done. In the big ice storm a tree fell on the boat but fortunately a fence next to the boat took most of the force and the boat was not damaged, but I had to cut the branches off the tree and move the boat. I had started rebuilding the seats about three weeks ago but the weather put a stop to that. Anyway here are the finished rear seats. I put them in and they fit almost perfectly. Plenty more to do though. I am still taking the floor apart.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 2 months ago #55555

Have you core sampled the transom to confirm that it is rot free. Boats of this vintage typically have transom, deck/sole, and stringer issues. Especially if they have not been meticulously cared for and stored properly out of the elements. A Poor interior and spongy floor leads me to believe you may have issues below deck that could cause the boat to have some safety issues. Soft and rotting stingers and a soft and rotting transom can be dangerous when out in the middle of the lake. Does the boat have a ski locker? If so have you looked below to see what you can see? Does it have an underdeck fuel tank? Is there a hatch where you can access the tank? Is there a bilge? Anywhere you can see below the deck you should poke and prod. Tapping on the wood is not a reliable method to know for sure that the struture is sound. I highly recommend core sampling with a drill to ensure that all is well with the aforementioned structures. Just my 2¢ worth

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 2 months ago #55566

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Done most of that except the core sample. I'll get to that later. There are some very good signs on this boat. I have removed some of the sole and the foam is still intact and not saturated. The rot in the sole itself only goes back a couple of inches. I have cut back six inches and the wood is good. The stringers and cross pieces are gone gone gone. I'm still digging them out. I suspect the sole has been replaced before because both the top and bottom of the wood was glassed, and both sides of the stringers were glassed. I had to remove one layer to get the rotted wood out. This didn't help keep water out of the stringers but it appears to have protect the foam and most of the sole.

No the fuel tank is not under the sole, it is in the bow. Some where along the line someone removed the aluminum tank and replaced it with a plastic tank. That is very good. Unfortunately they did not replace any of the fuel hose, That is bad! Later I am going to remove the sterndrive, That's when I'll find out the bad news on the transom. But one issue at a time. And since I have no inside space in which to work, everything is dependent on the weather.

I am not doing meatball surgery here, I am taking away little pieces at a time. Takes longer, but in the long run will save work and money. Besides, since I'm retired, I can take my time with this.

By the way, if it can be trusted the engine hour meter only has 164 hours on it. I doubt that's accurate but it would be a blessing if it is.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 1 week ago #59706

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thank God, Spring has finally arrived. The last week I have been able to actually get something done.

I did replace the rear seats. I built new ones. I did this back in January when we had a few days of decent weather,

I spent the meantime collecting materials and planning how to proceed. Wire, connectors, heat shrink tubing, dielectric grease, etc

Also hoses for the fuel system.

I took the tank out, and it is actually in good shape. It's a Tempo roto molded PE tank. Someone had replaced the original aluminum tank. But the fools didn't change any hoses or fuel fittings. All SAE J30 from the 70's The are all being replaced with USCG Type A1-15 J1527 hose

I have developed a Plan. I am starting at the bow and working my way aft. The first thing was to take the tank out so I could access the bow area, and get to the wiring. I took off the old bow light. It was really trashed. It looks like it got too hot and melted the lenses. Plus that, whoever last installed it used wire nuts! That's nuts.

So I bought a nice LED combo bow light. I installed the light a few days ago, but had to wait a few days to get to the wiring. I ripped out the old and put in all new, and no wire nuts. Each connector is properly crimped, greased and covered with heat shrink tubing.

It's amazing how long it takes to do things laying flat on you back, working over your head. It took about 3 hours to put in two wires about 8 feet long. Of course that includes putting in new wire hangers, clipping off the old wire ties, removing the old wire, inserting the new wire and putting new wire ties on the bundles, and putting new ring terminals on the wire.

I also took out all the old fuel fittings and put in new a few days before doing the wiring . The fuel fill

Seems simple, but not so. The size of the fill looked the same as the old one, and the package said they were the same, but they lie!. The connection for the ground sticks out too far and there are little humps spaced around the fill that make it slightly larger. So I had to enlarge the hole, and of course the screw holes didn't line up either. But it's in. I also put in a new vent fitting. At least that one didn't require any alterations.

After wiring, I put the new hoses on the fill and vent using good all stainless steel clamps. I am waiting for a new fuel gauge sender to arrive before I put the tank back in. I snaked the fuel hose through the hangers and tubes, that goes from the tank to the engine, but haven't hooked it up at either end yet.

I also bought an alternator but that has to wait.

Today it was so beautiful my wife and I polished the boat from the chine up. We went over it with oxidation remover, and then waxed it. It looks a lot better now, not new, but better.

So the process has begun. The weather is supposed to hold until at least Tuesday or Wednesday.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 1 week ago #59710

Sea Ray Made in Michigan!

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 1 week ago #59713

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
What makes you think that? Their HQ is in Tennessee, and that's probably where it was made, but in the 80's they did have a factory in Bucyrus Ohio. Now they have factories all over, but back in the 70's it was just TN. As far as I know, they never had a factory in Michigan.

There are several other builders in Michigan. Chris Craft used to have a plant in Holland Michigan, but not any more. Four Winns is in Cadillac. There are others, but no Sea Ray.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 1 week ago #59715

there was a sea ray plant in oxford mi. i do not know the total time span that it was there,but from 69 to 72 i was living in mi and drove by it regularly.

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 1 week ago #59717

Yes, Sea Ray had a boat factory in Michigan. That's where they started. Connie Ray bought a small Detroit area boat builder. That's how he got into boat building. Oxford, MI was the eventual manufacturing plant location for Sea Ray. I think they expanded to the Phoenix, AZ area which became corporate headquarters. Brunswick purchased Sea Ray in 1986 and that may have been when HQ was moved to Tennessee.

Andreas

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 1 week ago #59718

• gil
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Andreas,
The boat company that Connie Ray bought in Detroit in 1959 was call Carr- Craft. This is my 1958 Carr-Craft that has since gone through a complete restoration and should be water ready later this year.
Regards,
Gil Nichols
Attachments:

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 12 years 1 week ago #59719

Very Cool boat Gil!

Andreas

Re: Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 11 months ago #61019

I just got one too, 1975 Sea Ray, and already your posts have helped me assess mine new, old boat. The tear down is about to start.
Best

Re: Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 11 months ago #61091

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Welcome and good luck with your "new" Sea Ray. Don't be surprised if you find more rot and waterlogged foam as you get into it. I certainly did. Post your progress on the forum and let us know how you are doing. You might also want to register on Club Sea Ray. there are lots of people over there with old Sea Rays, and they know about get parts and such. clubsearay.com/forum.php

I have been removing parts of the sole and the stringers, along with water soaked foam, and even some gas. This boat has a fairly new Tempo plastic tank, so at some time someone replaced the aluminum tank. It must have leaked because there is some gas smell in this foam.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re: Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 11 months ago #61268

Yup, lots of water damage to floor, but looks like fuel system was overhauled once with new tanks but I want to put in new hoses. Also has a nice bimini top that i got up and works and needs some more cleaning. It is going to be a little while before it gets in the water or need the top.
Thanks for the tip for cluesearay, I will log on there too.

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 11 months ago #61270

IKE or Peter , thank you for the link you have provided in your last post which i find very interesting . newboatbuilders.com/

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 11 months ago #61776

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I have accomplished quite a bit since the weather finally changed for the better. I have taken out a lot of rotten wood and soaked foam, preparing to put in a new sole and supporting structure. Here's the before photos;

And after:

I am starting to put in the stringers and transverse structure to support the sole.

I have also done a lot of other stuff. I replaced the bow light and wiring, put in a new ignition switch, replace all the fuel hose and fittings, put a new fuel gauge sensor in the tank and cleaned the tank, replace the alternator, and cleaned and polished the hull. It's amazing how much better it looks cleaned and polished (just down to the chine).

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 11 months ago #62397

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I made a diagram of how I wanted to re-install the sole and it's structure: I'm an engineer. Gotta draw!

Finished the stringers and frames to support the sole.

with the sole in place and the old cover for the ski locker.

I also made a new top for the engine cover and put insulation on the inside. (it's not done yet)

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 10 months ago #63430

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Finally finished the interior. Now on to the Engine!
The following is the structure completed with the foam added. The foam is high density polystyrene encase in polyvinyl plastic.

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/spinners1/Sea Ray 2/_MG_0926.jpg

The next step was finish the sole. It was glassed on both sides, the screwed to the stringers. I then glassed it to the remaining sole.

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/spinners1/Sea Ray 2/_MG_0953.jpg

Then I laid down the carpet.

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/spinners1/Sea Ray 2/CRW_4217.jpg

And installed the seats'

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/spinners1/Sea Ray 2/CRW_4219.jpg

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 10 months ago #63443

• MarkS
She's coming together nicely Ike, good progress!

Mark

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 10 months ago #63460

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Now on to the engine and other mechanicals.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 10 months ago #63472

gil wrote:

Hi Andreas,
The boat company that Connie Ray bought in Detroit in 1959 was call Carr- Craft. This is my 1958 Carr-Craft that has since gone through a complete restoration and should be water ready later this year.
Regards,
Gil Nichols

looks very similar to my 1960 SR600
but mine has no wood in the floor...and mine was made in michigan

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 10 months ago #63483

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hallelujah: It turns over. I did not actually crank it. I just bumped it several times with the starter. But it turns! That takes a load off my mind. Now I need to locate Top Dead Center so I can change out the distributor.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 9 months ago #64220

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I am jumping ahead here by WAHOO! IT RUNS. Put gas in it, hooked up a hose with earmuffs, cranked it up and it started and runs! Needs tuning but that's easy enough. Just happy it runs.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 9 months ago #64235

• MarkS
I know that's a major relief, good for you Ike! One major step closer to being on the water. :P

Mark

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 9 months ago #64282

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I have a fuel leak on the discharge fitting from the fuel pump. I am going to the local mercury place tomorrow and see if I can get a new fitting.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Just Bought a 1972 Sea Ray 11 years 9 months ago #64319

ike,

LUCKY DOG! = CONGRADS. ======> SUPER BOAT
(why am i NEVER that lucky?)

yours,satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)