Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1964 17' Sea King cutty

1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4358

One of my projects is a 1964 17' Sea King cutty. Does any one know who built these.
It has the original 80hp Sea King engine, Chysler I think. I'm thinking about putting a 50hp Bearcat and using the Lauson 6hp 4-stroke as a kicker.
Lots of work to be done.
Thanks Darb.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4360

wow,there is another one out there,lol,i just sold my seaking cabin cruiser,it was also a 1964 ,it was built by starcraft,the motor was a 1963 ,60 hp seaking made by gale,(the last year they made them.)heres a scan with the cruiser in it,it is on the bottom of the page on the left,also a scan of the 40 and 60 hp motor,does yours look like this if it does its probably a 63 gale.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4375

I'll try to load a pic. of the engine. It is an in line 4 with 4 coils, 1 per cylinder.
Do you have any pic. of the inside of the cabin, looking at the rear bulkhead? Mine is missing some "stuff".
Thanks, Darb.
Attachments:

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4382

I don't know why I load 2 pics and only 1 shows.I'll try to load another showing the coils.
Darb.
Attachments:

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4386

You can only submit one pic at a time. To add a 2nd, you have to edit your post and add it then, etc. for each pic you want to add.

Frank

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4387

Thanks Frank, I'm sure glad you guys are around.
Darb

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4388

No problem Darb, lots us want to help!

Frank

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4392

darb,that looks like a mercury motor to me,but im no expert on merks.i dont have any pics ,but all that was in my cabin was the cushions. i found 1 pic with the cusions in bed form
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4394

The first pic was of a Sea Horse (J/E), the second an in-line 6 Merc.

Frank

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4398

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I love that boat. I hope that I run into one or something similar once I finish the Sea King that I've got.

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4407

erik,i dont know where your from,but thewoman that bought my seaking cabin cruiser has it up for sale,her and the guy she was going with are no longer together,its in indiana ,pa,right across the street from me,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4411

HI; Your original assumption about the motor being a Chrysler is correct. The 80hp was introduced as a WestBend and Chrysler took over in 1965. Due to it's shape the 4cyl 80hp is often referred to as the suitcase motor.
Al

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4418

Yep. Made by West Bend 1961-65. 80hp has 4 sets of points to adjust too.
I'm going to look at a SeaKing cabin cruiser too, up here in Michigan. The guy says it is a 17' 62 Cabin Cruiser and powered by an 80hp. But Sea King only used that West Bend 80hp 64-65. I'll know more about it after I go look at it. Wants $600.00 for it. Boat,motor and trailer.
Sears even sold that motor under the Elgin name 61 and 62 before going to McCulloch.
West Bend also made an I/O version from that motor called the Shark-O-Matic

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 weeks ago #4423

Darb,
Do you have a Bearcat now?
I love my 62 Homelite. I have mine on my pontoon. I'm going to run a 4 blade 8" pitch prop on it. I had too big of pitched prop on it for the pontoon last season. I used it mosly at slow speeds though. Opened her once in a while, but it wasn't reving up to the proper RPSs @ WOT. That's hard on these motors too.
I'm gettiing the prop from Bill Roberts. He has tons of parts and knowlege on Homelte/Bearcats among other things. If you need parts or help. Contact Bill.
He was a big help for getting me parts and advice I needed to get it up and running.
I see you want to go Green the old fashion way with these vintage motors.
Attachments:

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 1 week ago #5200

Hey, Darb!
I've always been a West Bend Tiger Shark fan and I've been looking for years for photos of the Sea King version. Could you please post some more photos of that engine?

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 5 days ago #5372

Thanks for all the help and interest. My computer picked up a bug and crashed. I just got it cleaned up.
I do have a 50hp Bearcat that was rebuilt in Redding,CA. I'll try to get some pics of the "Sea King" engine, weather permitting. I'm just north of Reno, NV. at 5100ft. It was in the 70s today, but another front is comeing in tomarrow, 50 to 70 mph winds, but I'll take that over what they are getting in the East.
Thanks again. Darb

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 4 days ago #5465

John, the scan that shows the smaller boats, also shows their pricing. Does the small print to the left of the cuttys have prices in it? It would be great to know what they sold for then.
My folks bought a bare bones 16' Dorset runabout, with I think a 60/65 E or J engine, in about '61-62 for around $600.
We're in a searies of small spring storms right now. 100mph gust today, but less the next few days, just rain and snow showers and 30mph breazes. Pics will have to waite a few days.
Thanks. Darb

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 days ago #5672

We finally have some decent weather, in the 40's.
Here's some more shots of the Sea King 80hp. Hope they load.
Darb
Attachments:

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 2 days ago #5674

Only got one pic to load. I tried the edit thing, but it kept loading the same pic. I'll try again next.
Darb

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 14 years 1 day ago #5683

darb as far as the prices on the cruisers go,the fine print is just to order the catalog for them,you can see this if you click on the picure it will show it enlarged,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1964 17' Sea King cutty 13 years 11 months ago #6010

If you like to see the West Bend version of that motor, go to the Alumi-Classics section of this forum and click on Texas Maid.

I've posted old slides of my Grandfather's boat.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)