• Page:

TOPIC: Missile Fueled and Fired

Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 3 weeks ago #3985

• crosbyboat
  • crosbyboat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Took a little time to hook everything up to the Glen-L Missile this afternoon and fire off the 1350 for the first time in 2 years. Ran SWEET!! Let her run for 15 minutes just to walk around the shop smell the 2 cycle oil and listen to it. Pumping well. Shifting exactly. Guess I should install the steering system! :dry:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 3 weeks ago #3999

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
One of the nice things about having a shop is being able to leave stuff. After dinner I went out to the shop, turned on the water, primed the carbs and hit the key. Bam! 135 hp at my command. The motor starts so much easier than it used to. I am really looking forward to getting this out on the River to see what it will do.
Attachments:

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 3 weeks ago #4001

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
SWEET : CONGRATS, Take some nice outdoor photos.

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 3 weeks ago #4002

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Man I can smell the 2 stroke from here! Awesome!

Holes in the Dash 14 years 3 weeks ago #4086

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
After 50 years the Missile finally has holes in the dash. That's the original piece of 7/8" solid mahogany that was all askew when I got it. Solid as a rock, I drilled 4 holes in it tonight so that I could have a little something to provide guidance while the Missile is in flight. This boat is ready to haul to the water for a test....assuming DEC isn't around as I still need to register it.
Attachments:

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 3 weeks ago #4095

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Lookin' good, B! Can't wait to hear the test run reports, and see some more pics.

Mark

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 1 week ago #5206

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Pulled the Missile out of the shop yesterday for the season. Set up the cooling again, started it and let it run for half an hour. Sounds good. A little more finish work on the interior and a couple of touch ups on the exterior and MISS ISLE will be ready to rock.
Attachments:

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 1 week ago #5210

• MarkS
She's beautiful, looks like you're almost ready to "just add water"!

Mark

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 1 week ago #5213

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Mark. Both the Missile and the Power Cat 18DC were two of the more involved projects I've done. Both are close to two years in the making. Slow and steady wins the race though when you're doing this part time. I'm very excited about the Missile. Should be a hoot to drive. Definately a calm water boat with that flat bottom, but my guess is this will keep up with the original Missile design that used the Nailhead V8 and V drive. I've got to be 400-500 pounds lighter than a Missile fitted out that way. And, rather than sitting on either side of a wide open V8 (as in no engine box), this Missile's passengers will ride in style with all mahogany seating. Am going to have yellow cushions made for front and rear seats too. I'm guessing this will be a 50+ boat. Will know soon.

The Power Cat 18DC should be done for early July. A fair amount left to do on it. The big ticket items are the front windshields which JAG is going to try to polish. Then I want to have a low raked top windscreen made, not the original tall one. Two reasons:1)I want a raked back look to the topsides. 2) It won't fit in my garage with a tall windshield. Need to get new windshield gasket. And, need to design seating. Have not decided whether I'm going commercial or custom build. The motors are both nearly ready. It's getting twin 1962 Evinrude Lark 40 hp. Both have had the LU rebuilt and sealed, carbs rebuilt, and all new electrics. I have the wiring harnesses ready to install...and have keys for both ignition switches...which often I don't, but are easy to obtain. And, like Frank, I need to install the rubrail which uses T bolts. Definately a 2-3 person job to that. Time for some payback from my youngest's boyfriend!

So more to do, but hey, it's still only April! Have made great progress this spring.

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 1 week ago #5215

• MarkS

I'm guessing this will be a 50+ boat.

I'd imagine! (PLENTY fast for me) You won't be lacking in the power department, that's for sure. Your Missile is a perfect example of an "old school" speedster, with room for a few select passengers, doin' it in style, IMHO.

And the PC18DC, I just can't find the words to say how much I love the look of the "hardtop cruisers". It's like revisiting the American Graffiti era I grew up in, only on the water.

You set the standard up there, my friend. ;)

Mark

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 1 week ago #5216

• bogman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thats a really sharp looking boat, I think a low windshield is the way to go :woohoo: Like you said a calm water boat, shouldn't be to hard to find flat water somewhere in the Islands...

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 1 week ago #5232

Propped correctly, that will be an easy 50 mph boat...your motor is identical to mine that I have on my challenger and fastest I've had it was 52 with a stock, bronze 21p prop. I need to find a cleaver to try so I can raise the motor a tad....I really think the potential for 60 is there setup correctly. Although, your boats probably a little bit heavier but probably not enough to make a big difference.

Look forward to your results!

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 1 week ago #5242

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Swinging a 2 blade stainless cupped speed prop that pushed the Manta Ray it was on in the high 50's. I'm happy with anything over 50. It's not like I'll be running it flat out all the time, but I love the look on some idiots faces when they go screaming past you thinking you're flat out when they're doing in the 40's (fast on the water) and you put the hammer down and walk on by....assuming the wife isn't with you and it's not cocktail hour. Looking forward to its first run with a lot of anticipation.

No windshield on this. Missiles didn't have them. This is a wind in your hair, bugs in your teeth boat.

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 4 hours ago #5803

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sat in the boat figured out where I wanted the front seat and then bolted it in position. Need to finish the fuel and battery racks and rig the lighting. Then it's done. May pull it to the 1000 Islands Saturday for its first test run. A fitting place for her name, MISS ISLE.
Attachments:

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 14 years 28 minutes ago #5821

Brian - it looks real pretty! I hope the madien voyage goes off smoothly.

I have an important question though, do you plan to use an ignition shut-off lanyard?

Bruce

Re:Missile Fueled and Fired 13 years 11 months ago #5825

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
APBA rules require them for vintage racing. Need to figure out how to wire one. First things first. Need to see how it runs.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)