Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Manta Ray Rebuild

Manta Ray Rebuild 10 months 3 weeks ago #147993

I am about to start rebuild on my Custom Craft Manta Ray. I spoke to total boat and they recommended 5 to 1 epoxy and 1708 fiberglass. Upon further research it seems I should use polyester resin. Would appreciate any feedback or recommendations on the projects.

Thanks
Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Manta Ray Rebuild 10 months 2 weeks ago #148004

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Brian, I'm not an expert but have used all 3 (epoxy, poly and vinyl ester) and currently finishing up a Custom Craft Sun Ray. I have a thread going under the member projects forum.

I think it depends on what you intend to bind, i.e. epoxy adheres to pretty much anything and could be better to bond wood with the 1708. Poly is the least expensive and then there is vinyl. I used polyester on my first fiberglass boat resto, a lake n sea. There are several videos on the lake n sea web site. Here is #1 where I used poly to build transom skins and cover stringers and floor. I was told by the seacast folks to use poly as it would be compatible with their product and I used the total boat laminating and finishing resins.
link Part 1 www.dropbox.com/s/6kmvby4jew1ktp3/L%20%26%20S%20Part%20I.mp4?dl=0
On the custom craft, I wanted to try Coosa board for the transom, stringers and floor. My local supplier delivered the large boards free and suggested I look at vinyl ester as it would be more flexible and more water resistant than poly. They also offered our ACBS chapter a small discount and again delivered the resin for free. Pic attached. It worked great to laminate the 1708 to the coosa. However, I did use epoxy when running my floor to hull transition tab mixing it with short glass fibers and cabosil to make up the thicker "peanut butter". This was to make sure the tab would adhere to the original hull material which is an unknown.
here are the videos I have compiled so far. Have 1 more to still put together:
Custom Craft #1

Custom Craft #2

Custom Craft #3
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)