Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Glasspar Seafair Sedan 2 years 2 months ago #146059

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year! I was wondering if anyone here would happen to have the dimensions for the cuddy cabin door. My boat’s is missing and I would like to make one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan 2 years 2 months ago #146060

I would be happy to assist but I won't be able to give them until Monday.
Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: SeaFairSeeDan

Glasspar Seafair Sedan 2 years 2 months ago #146061

maybe I am missing something here, but wouldn't you just measure your opening your boat has for the cuddy cabin door and make your door to fit appropriately? In my experience as a cabinet builder, I would take my own measurements vrs getting them from someone else that took measurements from a different place.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan 2 years 2 months ago #146062

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Yup just measure the opening and give some space for hinges and latch and floor clearance. and flex. They really don't fit tight like a door in the house. Make the door big enough and then you can trim it down if needed.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan 2 years 2 months ago #146063

Good point, but the original door was two pieces. The top folded down to allow air to flow while still keeping the door shut. I would like to recreate that door.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan 2 years 2 months ago #146064

use photos on line to find a reference point or just split the door where you think it will look right. or you could always do a louvered top portion. Maybe even a bottom portion as well to create a little more air flow when closed. Then the cool air will come in the bottom and the warmer air will go out the top.

Attachments:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan 2 years 2 months ago #146065

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Yes. split the door if you want. Hinges you could use are for bi-fold doors available at HD or any hardware store

Glasspar Seafair Sedan 2 years 2 months ago #146066

Hello Dan,

Sounds like you prefer to keep it original. Replicating the paneled door will require some cabinet making skills and tools.

My friend John down in NC found this old sedan and brought her back to life.

It required replacing every board foot of wood due to termite infestation.

He happened to find a vintage mahogany stash and was able to replicate and replace every stich of wood.

John from NC is an engineer and works with wood as a hobby.

His door is exquisite

He also highly recommends a Sammy or two when the woodworking gets rough.

John from NC has had a yearning for Sedans after first seeing one as a young man in 1962. I want a set of those deck chairs for Mama Mia!

Years later that dream was fulfilled.

Sounds like Eric has the dimensions you will need. Good luck gettin her done.

Please post pictures of your Seafair SeeDan.

Thanks
Terry

Glasspar Seafair Sedan 2 years 2 months ago #146069

Okay SeeDan...this may be more detailed than you need or want but like Terry said, it sounds like you want the original style door. Also, I think it would be helpful for others to see full measurements of the door for posterity. I can't tell you how many Seafairs I saw with missing doors when I was looking for one, so for a person interested in a full on restoration, I think it is good to document these things so others may properly replicate them. That's what this forum is all about. Others have certainly helped me. So here you go.

The side of the door has a half lap joint where the top half and bottom half of the door meet. This allows the upper door to swing in to the cabin with the rest of the door still closed.

Like So

Detail of raised panels

Detail of rail and stile joint

Measurements....and excuse my handwriting...the thickness of the wood stock is 13/16, my writing looks like 15/16 :blink:

Side detail

Also there are knobs on both the inside and outside....both are attached on the same through-door threaded rod. Centered at the top of the upper door is a ball catch to hold it to the cabin roof header.

Hope that helps you out!

Eric

Glasspar Seafair Sedan 2 years 2 months ago #146073

The door on Mama Mia is original to the boat but I replaced the hinges with a piano hinge.

One tends to really lean on that door when underway and entering or exiting the cabin.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan 2 years 2 months ago #146076

Now I’ve got door envy. Ugh! Thank you Eric for the dimensions and drawings. I like the idea of keeping to the original style and having the top portion flip down for airflow and conversation. I’m in the process of building a wood working shop; pad gets poured on Thursday and the building arrives in about 3 weeks. This will give me some time to source the wood. Terry, your friend John knocked it out of the park his cuddy door. It’s so nice I’d put a life jacket on it each time I cruised the boat. As mentioned I will post some pictures this week of my project boat along with two additional Glasspars of mine. Can anyone really have too many vintage boats? Nope.

Dan

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)