Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146005

I did it! 100% impulse buy and now I am just sitting in euphoria and obsessing. I am so delighted. But I know I will need a lot of help to preserve as much of her natural splendor as possible. The floor needs to be pulled and repaired and re-fiberglassed. Upholstery needs to be redone/repaired/replaced. Small superficial nick on the exterior I need to patch. And I would love to find any info I can on this model, etc. Bring on the experts! Thanks in advance.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146006

Congrats, nice find. I don't have a lot of experience with the Glasspar's but plenty of folks here have.

Bob

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146007

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Congratulations! Your "new" boat looks to be in great shape however, replacing the floor is not something easily done. If it feels soft, you can bet that the framing beneath also needs replacing as well as any/all foam, which is most likely waterlogged. It's not really a job for a first-timer. It requires a lot of tools, a lot of material, some fairly proficient carpentry skills, beer and a lot of cussing.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146010

I checked the Glasspar catalogs from 1970, 71, 72, 73, 74, and so on, this is the closest thing to your boat that I could find. This is from the 1973 catalog. I think that the V-165 is actually closer. Is there a model designation anywhere? Like Nautilus said, it would be best to leave the floor replacement to professionals. I've done it before, and yeah, you can do it, but there is a large learning curve you will be working against. I won't do it again, I'll leave it to someone younger, more agile, and with more skill than I possess.

Lee

Attachments:

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146011

Lee,
Anything exciting in Nisswa?

Like they said, it's a lot of work. Expect it to take twice as long as you estimated. Probably $2000 for quality wood, laminating resin, fibergass cloth/matt & woven, foam, carpet & adhesive, hardware.

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146012

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm not a misogynist but unless you were raised in a family of boat builders...... It's just that I've seen several failed attempts where the owner tore the whole boat apart, eventually gave up and ended up selling the boat for parts or junk. You don't want to go down that road. If it were my boat, I'd strip the carpet, glue down another layer of 1/2" marine plywood on top of what's there, re-carpet and then go have fun with the boat. Even doing just that will not be quick, easy or cheap. It's hardly the right way to do things but it's expedient and will get you out on the water for a few years until you sell it. Let the next guy deal with decking replacement.

Jim: I'd say your estimate is right on the money. Replacing the floor in a Ski Nautique seems to run right around $5,000 with labor, sometimes more. This boat is a little smaller but labor and material would be about the same. I've been turning down that type of work. I just finished doing one on a Correct Craft Martinique and that's going to be my last. It's too damned much aggrivation and there's a lot of other work being offered that I actually enjoy.

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146013

Yes, it is the 165. Thank you!

Do you know where any of the manuals etc. can be purchased or located? (This is all fascinating to me. I am a history major and finding things like this and trying to recreate them is right up my alley!) :-)

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146014

Thank you and I hear what you are saying! (My dad suggested the same thing.) We will probably go that direction (for use-ability) and definitely appreciate I don't have lots of spare time (I have small children) to hone my carpentry skills.

If I were to want to contact someone to restore this "properly", how do I look into that? I am guessing google and check past projects? It is an interesting paradox that the uniqueness of this boat is what attracts me, but also what will make it almost impossible to restore/maintain its original aesthetic. :-) C'est la vie. (And you can feel sympathy for my husband that I get into different projects and accrue vast amounts of inapplicable knowledge.) And how cool would it be to be raised by boatwrights?

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146015

From looking at the picture of the transom/outdrive, I'd guess about 1972. Biggest clue is the access plugs on both sides at the top yet I don't see side mounted trim senders. (Pictures don't have great detail)
Color says early 70s but could have run later (Crestliner & Lund (fiberglass built in Wi) used it into mid 70s.
If you can't see a HIN on the upper right of transom, then it must be pre Nov '72 built.

I'd be a bit concerned if the transom is solid. Check for water leaks around the outdrive.

Truthfully, the Larson/Glasspar boats had nice lines but weren't really well built. Rotten floors came early if they weren't kept dry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trisket876

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146016

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Trisket: I have given this following little piece of advice before. It is meant to be helpful, not critical in any way: It costs more to restore a green '67 Ford four door sedan than it does a "resale red" '67 GTO. The resulting dollar values are about 5 to 1. In other words, pick your fights carefully. If you decide to have a boat either restored or partially restored by a professional, make sure of its' "historical value," so to speak, before you make a major financial commitment. Some boats, the really classic designs, must be saved and cared for. Others should probably just be put out of their misery. Still, others are what you could call "drivers" and certainly worth a fix-up." I believe your boat is one of the latter.

Jim: I once put a new floor in a 1966 Larson All American. After everything was removed inside, it was obvious that the bottom of the hull was paper thin. There was no way a person could stand on it because doing so deformed the shape of the hull severely. I honestly thought I could break right through. Everything had to be done from "scaffolding" that bridged port to starboard. Once the centerline stringer and foam were in place, I was able to work inside to install the new flooring. No more vintage Larsons for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trisket876

"Success makes...

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146017

I never had a Larson, so no real sentimental value directly to me, but it's the vintage I grew up around. And you know I like I/O's. But I agree, it is probable to get "upside down" real fast in relation to its resale value. We are in an abnormal resale market at the moment, so who knows. But then again, it costs $200/day minimum to rent one. So, use it 10 times & you have recouped $2000.

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146035

We live in a lake town though not on the lake. I was wondering what kind of business opportunities there are in renting boats. I am not in a position to pursue the idea at the moment, but it is intriguing. :-)

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146038

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Woooo Boy. Intriguing? sure.
Overhead's gunna kill ya. Liability, Insurance, Upkeep, Damage repair, LAWYERS! Storage, Dock rental, Fuel, Maintenance.
The old saying a boat is a hole in the water to throw money into, or something like that. Unless you just want to rent plain Jane rowboats and toss in some life jackets and charge extra for oars, I would really shy away from that.
IMHO

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146045

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Like 63 Sabre says… rental of vintage boats can have its risks. abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/video/women-pulled-safety-boat-stuck-edge-dam-78218224
Think inexperienced boaters.

Dr.Go!

1971 Glasspar - First Boat Project 2 years 3 months ago #146046

Hello Trisket and welcome to FG.

That little Glasspar is a beauty and looks real clean.

www.facebook.com/ChicagoRetroBoats/videos/708533433320921
Chicago Retro Boats is now part of Chicago Electric Boat Company.

These girls just wanna have fun!

Chicago Electric Boat Company manages the Downtown Docks on the Chicago River and generously donated dock space for the Classic Boat Rendezvous last August.

www.fiberglassics.com/forum/main-forum/133422-chicago-riverwalk-classic-boat-rendezvous-2021.html#145058

Another entrepreneur in Michigan.
retroboatrentals.com/gallery/

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5579 guests and 4 members online