Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Glasspar Seafair helm chair boards?

1959 Glasspar Seafair helm chair boards? 2 years 3 months ago #145957

• eperot
  • eperot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
So on at least three '59's I have seen online I notice each has a board of some kind that is mounted to the gunwale wood, and has the brackets for the original helm seats mounted to them. Mine does not have these boards and the brackets look to have been screwed on (poorly) to the gunwale directly. First pic is mine:

Next is how it should look: (Mama Mia!)

I know at least Terry and Stripgear both have the original setup. Would either of you guys be so kind as to share the type of wood (ply?) and dimensions with me so I may duplicate them? Terry...yours looks to have some kind of offset hardware on the bottom? What is it? How are the boards attached?

Thanks guys, and Happy New Year
Eric
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1959 Glasspar Seafair helm chair boards? 2 years 3 months ago #145962

Hey Eric,

I replaced both those seat boards with mahogany.

The 2 splash rail screws at the seat are longer and extend through the backer board and seat support boards and use nuts in between for a spacer.

That is how the factory installed the one standard helm seat using a Zolatone coated 1/2 plywood 11-3/4 x 16.

The passenger seat which was an option was apparently installed after the splash rails were in place. They simply ran 4 wood screws into the backer board.

Cut new mahogany splash rails and used the original strake.

Put back together with ss hardware cut to length and capped off with acorn nuts.

Happy New Year yous all!
Thanks,
Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: eperot

1959 Glasspar Seafair helm chair boards? 2 years 3 months ago #145965

• eperot
  • eperot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Wow, as ever, thank you so much for your help Terry.

If you look at my backer boards carefully, you can see they are made of cheap clamshell door molding and mounted overtop of marine carpeting or astroturf. Oh yeah, they did it right. :laugh: One thing I've learned from working on an old 1874 house that translates well to boats is that I love the original builder, but hate everything done after by previous owners.

Also, my pretty aluminum strips for the spray rails are long gone. Gonna have to find some matching material from TACO or something. Which brings me to a question...how are the spray rails supposed to be attached? Are bolt heads countersunk in the rail and the heads then covered by the aluminum strip? And while we're on the subject, what is the thickness and width of the backer? I'm assuming your wood is original, or if replaced, done to original specs. You wouldn't be using no durn Home Depot door trim!

Thanks,
Eric

1959 Glasspar Seafair helm chair boards? 2 years 3 months ago #145984

Eric,

My plywood does not have spacers in the bottom. It is also rounded on the exposed sides.
My backer strips are 1/2" thick, 3 3/4" wide, also rounded.
My spray rails are countersunk. The bolts have wood screw heads

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)