• Page:

TOPIC: Glasspar Seafair rubrail base removal

Glasspar Seafair rubrail base removal 2 years 5 months ago #145680

• eperot
  • eperot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Has anyone had experience with removing the aluminum base for the rubrail on a Seafair? Mine got whacked in the bow at some point and the bow piece is heavily bent. I was able to locate another from a donor but the seller just used a sawzall to get it off, fiberglass and all. I can see a few rivets, easily enough drilled out, but it seems the aluminum is crimped in place to hold the deck cap and hull together. I've been thinking of carefully "walking" a thin screwdriver underneath the hull edge to bend the aluminum out just enough to get it off but I don't want to damage the glass or the aluminum. Any thoughts? It sure would make polishing the metal a lot easier too off the boat.
Thanks in advance!
Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Glasspar Seafair rubrail base removal 2 years 5 months ago #145686

Hello Eric,

The base simply slips over the sandwiched edges of the top deck and gunnel and is riveted.

Can be tight may require some persuasion to knock off.

Most of these rivets pulled or pried out. Be careful to remove the complete rivet when drilling them out.

Get help cuz that 12’ extrusion takes some wranglin.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: eperot

Glasspar Seafair rubrail base removal 2 years 5 months ago #145688

• eperot
  • eperot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Terry,
Bravo. That's great news for me. I think maybe the bow section might be just a little tighter due to the compound curves.

With all the aluminum off, are you able to achieve full deck separation? That first picture certainly looks to be the case. Because I was thinking it might be a good idea to add some stiffening to the underside of the deck. I notice when I walk around on it , especially the narrow section along the sliding windows there is a decent amount of flex that I fear could contribute to new spider cracks.

Also, it would make access for cleaning and painting of the chain locker and other areas much simpler.

As ever, thanks for the info and the great pictures. You sure love that boat, and it obviously loves you. What year(s) did you do the restoration?

Eric

Glasspar Seafair rubrail base removal 2 years 4 months ago #145783

Hey Eric,

Yeah, the cap should lift off with the rail and motor well removed.

And if Boat Love equates to putting in lotsa hard work then yeah, its Love. Then if a vessel affords lotsa miles and pleasure over years then yeah, that boat may just be Lovin you back. I took over this girl way back in 2008 and been working on her over all these years. The fun just don't end.

And ya gotta love that!

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)