Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seafair Sedan gas tank?

Seafair Sedan gas tank? 2 years 8 months ago #145010

Ahoy! I'm new to the forum having just acquired a 1960 Seafair Sedan. Luckily it is a very solid boat. I'm cleaning it up and doing some rewiring. I'd like to ask other Seafair owners what do you do about a gasoline tank? Right now the boat I have just uses a 6gal poly tank. Are there built in tank solutions? Thanks!!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seafair Sedan gas tank? 2 years 8 months ago #145011

I have a seafair sedan, and I use mercury metal tanks on carpet. They stay rock solid in place with no sliding because they have a lip on the underside that kind of digs into the carpet. I didn't use them because of that feature, it was just what I had around and it works well. And yes that is a Johnson connected to a mariner tank, it works great. I just put a mercury fitting on the fuel line.

Seafair Sedan gas tank? 2 years 8 months ago #145012

Well I can't get the pictures to show up, but hopefully you get the idea.

Seafair Sedan gas tank? 2 years 8 months ago #145046

Nice Sedan Natty Lee. Welcome to Fibgerglassics.

Gonna guess 1960?

Looks like a workin boat for sure and your waterway is awesome.

Tell us more.

Thanks,
Terry

Seafair Sedan gas tank? 2 years 8 months ago #145085

Thank you!

We purchased Natty Lee just after the 4th of July in Tower Minnesota where she has spent her entire life, in a boathouse being used as the family boat for 60 years. The boat is solid but she is 60 this year being a 1961. We trailered her back to Port Townsend WA. I am now cleaning her up and going through the electrical system. Our use will be pleasure cruising the bays around here and in nice weather going to the San Juan Islands. And a little fishing.

Attachments:

Seafair Sedan gas tank? 2 years 8 months ago #145088

Hello Natty Lee,

Its great to know the history and she certainly looks like she was well taken care of.
Please share more photos
Curious what the S/N is on your Sedan.

Thanks,
Terry

Seafair Sedan gas tank? 2 years 8 months ago #145092

I assume she was built in Nashville and is a 1961. I will share some more soon! Is there a breakdown somewhere of production numbers from the various plants. I know Santa Ana was the "mother-ship" I'd be interested to know if there is an assessment of the quality from the various plants, and how long they operated. And I'm curious did the term "Seafair" come from the Seattle event held every year?
Attachments:

Seafair Sedan gas tank? 2 years 8 months ago #145109

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I believe Terry runs the bigger vertical slender tanks with top fill… so maybe Terry can chime in with thoughts and pictures. Too bad you don’t live closer as I have the narrow, but taller and wide 18 gallon Merc tank that has the built in gauge on top and also the fill cap and hose fitting on top. It can be fastened in place as if a built in and may fit along the back splash well… Terry would know. Maybe you can find one closer to you. Mine is very nice and I have no use for it now that my current boat is short shaft with shallow floor that would make it sit way too high for my shallow boat. Good luck finding your solution.

Dr.Go!

Seafair Sedan gas tank? 2 years 8 months ago #145117

Hello Natty Lee,

Dr. Go! is referring to the Tempo Long Cruise tank.

Mama Mia! has Tempo 12-gal vertical tanks and they fit perfectly into the early style motor well. Your 61 has the later self-baling style well which allows tanks to be stowed below the well.

The trick option on the later Seafairs were saddle tanks.

Awesome all original Sunliner.

The tanks are rare and I believe were also manufactured by Tempo. And they fit the Seafair hull perfectly.

And you correctly deciphered the Glasspar code.

Thanks,
Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Natty Lee

Seafair Sedan gas tank? 2 years 8 months ago #145119

I did score a 18gal Tempo tank that is about 36" wide and sloped to fit. I'm still a little concerned about the weight of it full of gas. The 90HP V4 is 311lbs and the 6HP kicker. I will install it and see what happens I guess.

OH I like the saddle tank option!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)