• Page:

TOPIC: OMC Outdrive Problem

OMC Outdrive Problem 3 years 1 month ago #144071

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
The Dual Deluxe has 1963 OMC outdrives. I have the OMC manual but it goes from 1964 and there are no outdrives like mine pictured.
At least one of them leaks from little holes and I have no idea why or what the hell they are there for. I haven't filled the port outdrive yet but I guess that that one will leak also. When the boat is launched, those hole will obviously be under water...leaking oil and probably allowing water to leak in. Can anyopne tell me what the holes are for, why they are leaking and what I can do about this problem? Thanks in advance.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

OMC Outdrive Problem 3 years 1 month ago #144072

Those are weep holes, you are looking at spilled/overflow oil.
Are those 120 light duty or V4 2 stroke?
The reason I ask is if 2 stroke, you will see what looks like cream colored shaving cream come out there after an engine run from all the unburnt fuel/oil mix.

OMC Outdrive Problem 3 years 1 month ago #144073

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
forums.iboats.com/threads/gear-oil-coming-out-of-weep-hole-in-lower-unit.529378/

Jan is that gear oil coming out? I pasted a thread here if you can follow down the thread a guy mentions a '63. Might be a bad shaft seal leaking after pumping oil in the upper or lower. But looking at those pics and the oil leaking from the upper hole also I would suspect a bad shaft seal in the upper section of the unit. Is that a 800 or 400 model? Been many years since I tore one of those stringers apart The holes themselves are water drains only
By now I suspect you've had your belly full of outdrives and eggbeaters. Take care my friend.

Attachments:

OMC Outdrive Problem 3 years 1 month ago #144074

It isn't either a 400 or 800, it's from an old V4, a 10DU (or a GM base 100 or light duty 120).

The drive shaft is captive in the upper housing and sticks down about 8 or 10 inches below the water pump. Removing the lower 1/2 will allow you to see straight down into the lower gearcase to the pinion gear.

The oil is most likely oil that ran down past the exhaust seal when the upper was drained & refilled.

The oil coming out the upper hole is above the vent screw, so it can only be leaking from the upper or residual. Is the upper still full? If that much was from an active leak, it would be low.

I've owned one of these for 26 years next month.

OMC Outdrive Problem 3 years 1 month ago #144076

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
oooooops :laugh:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)