Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1967 LAMAR 20-foot RUNABOUT

1967 LAMAR 20-foot RUNABOUT 3 years 6 months ago #143367

Friends,

I have found the above LAMAR runabout, with a 1961 JOHNSON 80 HP, Model V4SL-13C, outboard on a Texas-built trailer, that has NOT been out of the garage in La Marque, TX that it is stored in for over 15 years, since the PO died.
(It is "all in one piece" & seems to be essentially "complete" though the upholstery is dry-rotted. -The condition of the old JOHNNY 80 is unknown but it LOOKS to be excellent.- I have not been able to try to turn it over, so far.)

IF anyone has photos, other period/current information and/or a brochure for LAMAR's output in 1967, I would love to pay you either for the materials AND/OR pay the owner for making copies for me.
(The Fiberglassic's Library has NADA after 1961 & frankly, LITTLE in the company history page.)

Our GREAT member's help/opinions/advice is solicited by the undersigned for this project.

Yours, Tex
EMAIL: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
San Antonio, TX 78208

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1967 LAMAR 17-foot RUNABOUT 3 years 6 months ago #143384

Friends,

NOTE: DESPITE WHAT THE PO TOLD ME, THE HULL IS NOT A 20 FOOTER. IT IS A 17 FOOT BOAT.

FYI, I have FOUND Mr. Cary Satterfield, the only surviving son of the CREATOR of the LA MAR line of boats & the majority owner of CENTRAL BOAT COMPANY of La Margue, Texas.
(La Marque is in Galveston County, about 15 mikes south of the Houston city limits & about 4 miles north of Galveston Island.)

He tells me that he worked for CBC throughout high school & for several years thereafter & probably has more original documents related to LA MAR boats than any one person.
(He has emailed me two "flyers" that show the six sorts of fiberglass LA MAR boats from 15-23 feet that were built. So far, He has NOT said whether or not that he also has any literature or records on the molded plywood boats that CBC made in the 1950s.)

I told him by phone that my friend & I had gone & picked up the LA MAR 17 foot runabout & that it is on a nice 2-wheel "shop-built" trailer & is equipped with a V4SL-13C JOHNSON 75 HP outboard motor from 1961.
(The boat, motor & trailer LOOK quite attractive "as is", as the rig, for the over 50 years since it was purchased, has been kept in a closed garage. - The seat upholstery LOOKS OK but close inspection reveals that it is DRY-ROTTED.)

The boat is titled by TPWD as a 1965 (rather than a 1967) model; it is my belief that it may well be a 1961 year model., as the outboard IS a 1961 & the old Johnson V4 is believed to be the ORIGINAL motor. - The Serial Number of the boat is: 3577.
(I have some difficulty believing that the dealer would have equipped a NEW boat with a 4 year old motor. - We'll see what Mr. Satterwhite says when he SEES it next week, as he is planning to come have lunch with me & talk boats for an afternoon, next week.)

He also said, during our 5 phone conversations & 11 emails, that the LA MAR boats were INTENTIONALLY designed for saltwater fishing on The Gulf of Mexico, were all built one at a time by hand, were made HEAVY DUTY & that, "My dad's boats are still sought after by coastal fishermen because of their heavy duty construction/toughness, as well, as by collectors of antique boats."

I will post more about CENTRAL BOAT COMPANY, LA MAR's line of boats & about MY big/deep/wide 17 foot fisherman, when I know more information.

Yours, Tex
The following user(s) said Thank You: kensikora

1967 LAMAR 17-foot RUNABOUT 3 years 6 months ago #143393

We definitely need lots of photos!

Hello, World!!

1967 LAMAR 17-foot RUNABOUT 3 years 6 months ago #143396

kensikora,

Once I get the runabout cleaned up a bit (It's full of junk that the new owner of the property evidently used it for a dumpster after he bought the house/garage.), I'll get someone (probably my daughter) who knows how to make decent photos & get it done.
(I am NO photographer. - An old Kodak box camera is about the limit of my knowledge of photography.)

Sincerely, Tex

1967 LAMAR 17-foot RUNABOUT 3 years 6 months ago #143404

we need a couple of you two together. first and foremost.

1967 LAMAR 17-foot RUNABOUT 3 years 6 months ago #143416

cap-n billybob,

SORRY, with the CENSUS 2020 just ended yesterday about 1700, I have had NO TIME WHATEVER in daylight to even go LOOK AT the LA MAR runabout/Gulf fisherman, much less clean it up & throw away all the JUNK that it has collected over the last 10 years..

I need to get hold of Mr. Satterwhite & get him to come to San Antonio for lunch, his memories, a LONG talk about CENTRAL BOAT COMPANY & numerous photos of him & the rig.

yours, tex

1967 LAMAR 17-foot RUNABOUT 3 years 5 months ago #143448

Dear kensikora, Captain Billy-Bob et. al.,

About 1400 today, SUNDAY 01NOV20, I talked by phone to Mr. Cary Satterwhite by phone for about 20 minutes & together we determined that it will be the 2nd week of this month before we can possibly get together for lunch, a long talk about his Dad's boat & to make photos for the forum.
(He has been out of town & I'm tied up with getting ready for the General Election & doing work for East Central ISD all of this coming week.)
Mr. Satterwhite told me that he really wishes to find/buy one of his fathers boats. - IF any of our fine members knows of a LA MAR boat for sale, PLEASE PM me & I'll pass the information to him.

IF you are reading this post & have NOT yet voted, PLEASE be sure to go to the polls on TUESDAY, 03NOV20 & vote for the candidates of your choice.
(Here in San Antonio, we SET a NEW RECORD for voting & have already had THOUSANDS of more votes cast than in any previous election cycle, EVER. ===> Those of us who are Election Officers are HOPING for a MASSIVE turn-out on TUESDAY.)

A PERSONAL NOTE: Tuesday is my 74th birthday AND the 40th anniversary of being selected as an Election Judge. = ALL that I want for my birthday is a GREAT, PEACEFUL & SUCCESSFUL ELECTION.

Sincerely, Tex
Presiding Election Judge
Bexar County, Texas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)