Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 63 Westfield: How to remove rub rail? New source?

63 Westfield: How to remove rub rail? New source? 3 years 7 months ago #143142

After months of pandemic-induced delay I'm finally here in Canandaigua doing little fix-it jobs on the '63 Westfield that I inherited last year. The full length storage shelf on the starboard side is hanging loose because all the through bolts have failed. This is especially important to fix because the shifter is mounted to it in front. The shelf has metal brackets that hang from those through bolts, which are threaded into a full length stringer using some weird washer/nut hybrid (kind of cone shaped/recessed into the stringer). I figure I'll replace the weird nuts with fender washers and nylock nuts, but first I have to get the old bolts out. Their heads are under the white rubber insert in the lower rub rail (along the side of the hull, not at the gunnel). That stuff is pretty hardened at this point and seems very unwilling to slide out of its slot. Any advice for how to remove it? In the absence of any better ideas I'll probably try to soak it with hot soapy water, and maybe gently heat it with a heat gun on low.

While I'm here, two of the well nuts have failed where the driver's seat front edge is fastened. I kind a figure it would be smart to replace them all proactively, but the others are in there pretty good and I don't know how to remove them. I'll probably just leave them alone unless someone can tell me how to get them out.

I may have other questions before this already-much-shortened season comes to a close.

Thanks,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

63 Westfield: How to remove rub rail? New source? 3 years 7 months ago #143144

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Most rub rails have a metal back frame with a rubber insert. Best way I use is to go the the end of the rail where there is usually some type of decorative end cap. Remove the cap and take a screwdriver and pry up on the rubber insert. Once it starts to peel out it usually goes pretty easily. Pull the insert off until you get to where you want to be. As you said a little soapy water will help lube especially when you push it back in place.

63 Westfield: How to remove rub rail? New source? 3 years 7 months ago #143172

are you wanting to replace the insert if so then very careful if not put a hole in a piece with a screw driver then start prying .

63 Westfield: How to remove rub rail? New source? 3 years 7 months ago #143193

Thanks for the replies. The rub rails on the sides of the hull don't really need to be replaced. I'll probably wait to pry them out until I have a source for a replacement, in case they get damaged. The gunnel rub rails do need to be replaced so I need to track down a source for something that would work there. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

63 Westfield: How to remove rub rail? New source? 3 years 6 months ago #143331

FYI, I found what I needed at Taco Marine. They sent me little samples of two similar profiles, one available in black or white and the other only in black. Thankfully for me, they both worked so I got the one in white to match the original. I think the 50' will be enough to replace both the gunnel and splash rails.

63 Westfield: How to remove rub rail? New source? 3 years 5 months ago #143430

Glad the white one worked.

What was the Taco Marine part # for white? I ended up switching to the black one for my 1962 Edinboro.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

63 Westfield: How to remove rub rail? New source? 3 years 5 months ago #143431

From the email invoice:
V12-0317
Part Number: V12-0317WHA50-1, Flexible Aluminum, Arctic White Rub Rail Insert, 1/2"W x 1-1/4"H x 50'L

I think I would have been happy with black for the gunnels, echoing the black in the upholstery. But I didn’t think I’d like it in the splash rails.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7920 guests and one member online