• Page:

TOPIC: Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143138

• eperot
  • eperot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi...my name is Eric and I'm a first time poster here.

As long as I've been alive I've always known that I wanted to own and use a boat. I grew up spending significant time on Buzzard's Bay in Massachusetts and have every intention of ending up there in my later years, and for whatever reason I've decided the boat I'd like to have would be a Glasspar Seafair Sedan. They just look the business. As a kid admiring the boats of the local marina I'd always been drawn to the typical 1950's-1960's cabin cruiser style, and the Glasspar has that look but at a much smaller and more manageable scale.
From what I've gleaned about them so far is 1959-1963 had wood stringers, and 64 up to the Larson takeover were fiberglass. Aside from that I know little.
Were these boats designed for ocean use (Seafair being right in the name)? For anyone familiar with Buzzard's Bay it is a fairly calm body of water with lots of tranquil inlets...the Glasspar seems like it would perform well there, no?

Another question of mine is I have seen them both with and without bow rails...were they an optional add on from the factory? I prefer the look with the rails.

Perhaps the biggest question I have is how difficult will it be to find one? It seems all the ones on line are listings from years ago. I'd actually prefer one that needs a restoration, as this is half the fun in my book. Where are some good places to look?

Any advice from those knowledgeable with these little craft is appreciated! Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143139

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
look here www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Glasspar

Glasspar was sold in 1966 to Larson which is still in business. As for how to find one? craigslist, ebay. haunt marinas for old boats. Look in peoples back yards, barns and meadows. (I'm not being sarcastic. That's where a lot of old classics are found)

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143145

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
You have found one. I have your boat...Glasspar Seafair Sedan, twin carburetor, 4-cylinder sterndrive with bow rails. It needs pressure washing, sanding/varnishing of the woodwork, a good going-over in general and it's complete...and the price is right: FREE! Bring a trailer. The trailer it's sitting on is junk. Located near Clemson, SC. Come get it!

The following user(s) said Thank You: eperot

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143149

Hello Eric and welcome to FG.

The Glasspar Seafairs were extremely popular boats so they sold a bunch. They are not rare, and you can find them out there.

Glasspar founder Bill Tritt designed the Sedan first offered in 1959 with a deep V hull which handles rough waters well.

There are stories of Glasspar Sedan floatillas crossing to Catalina Island from San Diego.

I restored a 59 Sedan with a 61 Merc 800 and have logged thousands of miles on the inland waterways.

Mama Mia! on Geneva Lake WI

Mama Mia! at Bar Harbor on Gull Lake MN

Mama Mia! on Navy Pier, Chicago IL

Mama Mia! on Topsail Beach, NC

Mama Mia! at Lake George on the St John River FL

Mama Mia at the at the Wilson Dam on the Tennessee River, Florence AL

Mama Mia! on the St. Clair River MI

Mama Mia! on the Chicago River at the Stratton Lock heading out to Lake Michigan.

Please forgive my showboating but we do enjoy using and showing her.

The Seafair Sedan of course is the cruiser configuration and was most popular, although the Seafair hull was available in open and hardtop models as well. 1963 was the first year for glass stringers and the I/O as a factory option.

As Ike mentioned Larson acquired Glasspar and continued building boats badged as Glasspar. Eventually they were Glasspars in name only.
IMHO Larson bought the name and with it, long time Glasspar owners brand loyalty. The original owner of my Sedan first bought a 58 Glasspar Lido, then my 59 Sedan and later a Glasspar Cutlass.

I like your turn of the phrase “They just look the business.” I have gotten in trouble by referring to some classic boats as “Novelty Boats”. And with all due respect, hey! whatever floats your boat. I love them all but the Seafair was not a novelty and I can say it is a seaworthy vessel.
Yeah, they really look like a scaled down big boat. And same as you as a youngster I too always like the cabin cruisers.

Now the ads back in the day hyped “Twin bunks comfortably sleep two”. No, I fit in there on an angle and she doesn’t have a place to plug in a blow dryer so I usually cruise solo. I have spent nights aboard Mama Mia! but after a long day on the water I generally try to find a hot shower and a bed.

Thanks,
Terry

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143154

I worked on a 64 with a Mercruiser 194 CID, 140 HP 6 cyl years ago. Boat ran about 34 MPH if I recall correctly.
If you decide to get the one from Nautilus, expect about 32-33 MPH. that dual carb 4 cyl 120 OMC was used from 1964 for several years. Good on fuel & quiet.
BTW, after Genmar (originally Minstar that bought Larson in the 70s) went bankrupt about 10 years ago, Irwin Jacobs & another investor managed to buy Larson, Carver & Marquis back from the creditors. Eventually, Larson plant in Little Falls, MN was shut down & Larson moved into Carver/Marquis plant in Pulaski, WI.
Larson then sold to Polaris (I think) & production moved to Indiana. Larson boats were essentially fishing models at the end. Production ended this past spring.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143163

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks a lot for the information, guys.

Nautilus....Thank you SO MUCH for the offer, that's amazing, but unfortunately I am going to pass as I would prefer an outboard setup to the I/O. I just feel like the engine takes up too much room on deck and for a number of other reasons.
Strange, though...What year is that? It definitely looks different from any other Seafair I've seen. The cabin, doors, cabin windows and windshield quarter windows are all different. Larson years?

Terrydi, your Seafair is beautiful. What a little gem. I can't believe how many places you have had that out. Did you do restoration work yourself? And as far as cabin bunks...I'm 5'10, GF is 5'4", we'd love the thought of sleeping overnight on occasion, even if it means being slightly contorted. Also, do you have a head on board or is there room for a porta potty under the vee cushion? I read that the 59's came with a head...would love to see where they got one in there being such a small cabin.

I do have some experience with boat work. I built a small 10' wooden sloop when I was in college (plywood/fiberglass mix) and have extensive carpentry and mechanical skills so I'm not really afraid of taking on a challenge. I would prefer those fiberglass stringers, though.

Speaking of the bilge...it's sealed, right? only wet if there's a problem? is there a consensus on filling the under deck cavity with foam or should they be left hollow?

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143197

• DaveM
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Eric - You can usually find these boats on CL or FB Marketplace. A few years after Larson took over, they started filling the bilge with foam, If you look at the specs in the Glassic Library, you can see the change in weight. The stringers apparently changed to a hollow fiberglass sometime in 1962.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143207

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I have that same model that Nautilus offered in the outboard style. It's available, sitting in a field in midcoast Maine.
Transom seems good. Needs a new floor. I gutted it to do the floor and then got more interested in other projects. It's resting comfortably.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143209

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
David, do you know what year it is? Any pictures you can provide?
Thanks!

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143216

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm trying to figure out how to do private messages here.

Contact me at davidkelley207(at)gmail.com

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143217

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Click on the persons user name or avatar. That takes you to their profile page. At the top one of the selections is messages. Hover over messages and it will change to send e-mail to user.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidk

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143222

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I've had two great offers here from Nautilus and David K but unfortunately I've come to realize that there were definite changes made to the Seafair in style (subtle, to be sure, but changes) that I find less appealing at some point. I suppose I'd need a Seafair Sedan expert to tell me what year the alterations happened but I imagine 1970?

So the search goes on. Outboard, 1959-1969(?) with a preference for 1963 and up due to the fiberglass stringers. Project boat preferred. Perhaps I should just turn this over to the wanted ads in the classifieds. Or if you stumble across this thread, feel free to continue it. Thanks!

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143224

Thanks Eric,

1965, 59 and 67 Sedans cruising on Lake George FL

The early Seafairs had details that in later years vanished.

Bill Tritt’s original design used Philippine mahogany that trimmed out the cabin and cockpit.

By the late sixties it was lots of vinyl wrapped around plywood.

The wrap around helm panels were gone by 62 and simple boxes were used instead.

You can see cost cutting in many changes but there were improvements as well.
59 is the only year for the tub type motor well.

Seafair Sedan prototype

In 1960 and later Seafairs had what they advertised as a self-bailing motor well and gas tanks were stowed below as seen here on this 1962.

A marine head was a factory option that went under the center cushion. I stow a bucket there and rules are #1 only allowed aboard Mama Mia! Although I know a real nice guy that replaced the original porcelain throne on his Sedan with a modern marine chemical type head just to keep his lady happy.

The Seafair hull by Larson resembled the original design but for some reason the step chine was eliminated in 1968.

Also unique was Tritt’s cantilevered transom that was done away with by Larson as seen here on this 68.

Mama Mia! at Famous Freddies on Pistakee Lake IL

1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan with original 67 80 HP Evinrude on Lake George FL
The gal at the helm of this 67 needs to cull down her collection so this boat is available in Chicago.

Terry

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143230

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Terry,

Do you know how much said Gal at the helm is asking for that '67?

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143257

Hello Eric,
I contacted the owners and waiting to hear back. I sent you a connection request so please respond and connect.

I was able to dig up some shots of the 67 Sedan which I remember was out of the Texas plant.

We traveled to Florida from Chicago for the Florida Glasspar Club historic Sedan cruise on the St John River back in 08.

It was interesting to join the group with examples of the first and last years of the original Seafair.

Party at Silver Glen Springs.

Snorkeling into the spring with the sea turtles is an experience I will never forget. Yeah I like that old Merc.

Color your life with Glasspar

Notice the step chine which disappeared post 67 and was also the last year for the mahogany spray rails.

We also cruised the Chicago River hosting a FGC Midwest event in 2010.

67 Sedan on South Branch Chicago River

59 Sedan on St John River at Astor FL
Thanks,
Terry

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143276

Eric,

I sent you a message via FG private messages.

Thanks,
Terry

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143285

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Currently at my happy place...Fairhaven, MA
Right on buzzards bay on a still morning. I’m thinking a Seafair would do wonderfully here.
Attachments:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143294

Hello Eric,

Never been down on Buzzards Bay but it sure looks nice and would be interesting to explore. I have seen parts of MA working in Boston and the surrounding towns. Did find some time for recreation and bicycled Cape Cod and skied the Berkshires.

Cannot beat the seafood out there. My all-time favorite restaurant is Union Oyster House in Boston.
Best lobster rolls at the seafood shacks out on the Cape. Also love the little neighborhood sandwich shops in Boston serving up pizza by the slice and Italian lemonade.

Good deal on this one.

59 Vintage ad

This beautiful example of an original survivor turned up in FL a few years back. I think the blue ones are the prettiest but the red ones aint bad either.

I did not receive a response via the FG messaging system.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 7 months ago #143300

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Terry, it’s strange because l haven’t gotten any message from you here nor any notification of one on my email, but l did send you one.
Feel free to send me an email about that ‘67. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I agree they look great in blue and red...did they come from the factory with different color options? My personal favorite, however, and what mine shall one day be is sea foam. The picture is my dream.
Attachments:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 6 months ago #143302

Hey Eric,

I forwarded that to the owner.
And I know I responded here yesterday but now it’s gone. Let’s try again.

Your dream boat is rare in that it does not have the black sheer line stripe. I have also heard this feature referred to as a whaling stripe.

Nearly all hulls were white with the black sheer stripe and color of choice on the topdeck.

There are exceptions like this all white sedan which belongs to FG member Jetflite.

Here the hull is same color as the top deck with the white stripe. I have seen these boats and both have the original gelcoat.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 6 months ago #143309

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Terry,
I wasn’t aware of the black sheer line being a thing that most had but not all. Is it in the gel coat? I’ve read there were several locations these seafairs were built so perhaps one plant produced hulls without the black stripe?

As for rarity, l’m not looking to make a search any harder than it needs to be by trying to locate a white hull. As is, the one l showed above was restored fully and it’s possible (likely?) that it had the black stripe but the owner altered it to be a continuation of the deck color. I personally prefer that look.

The pic in this post is my favorite sea foam green but with the black sheer stripe... still looks great. Although no bow rails...no one answered that one yet...were they factory options or did people have them installed aftermarket?
Attachments:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 6 months ago #143318

Hello Eric,

I had the pleasure to meet Eddie Grijalva who worked for Glasspar at Santa Anna. Eddie authored “Glasspar Boat Builder: 1952-1962”.

In the book, he states Seafair models were available in white hulls only. But then there is that green hull in original gelcoat which came out of the Nashville plant.

Eddie described to me in gel coating Seafairs the hull below shearline was first masked off. The black gel for the stripe was applied first then the white.

And amazingly there is a photo of the process.

The stripe is a raised feature in the mold as you can see in this shot. The boat you showed the stripe is visible, but that photo is too fuzzy to see clearly.

Found this ad that lists bow rails as a Glasspar option. I enjoy fishing standing out on the bow and the rail would certainly help keep me from swimming with the Cotton Mouths. But the rail will also add a challenge in finding a suitable cover for the boat.

Has King Oscar contacted you yet? He is a real busy guy so I can rag on him if he has not reached out to you.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 6 months ago #143321

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey Terry,
Thanks for the information...very interesting to see the price difference between the outboard and I/O...wow!
Also that would answer my question on the bow rails. I sincerely hope you don't fall off into a lake with poisonous snakes...yikes! Even more reason I prefer the ocean. Snakes are my biggest fear.

I have not been contacted, but as I tried to tell you in a private message that apparently didn't work, I fear their boat will be out of my price range. I'd much prefer something between a freebie up to $1500 that needs a full resto but is complete. If anyone you know in the Glasspar circle has something in that zone, please keep me in mind now or in the future.
Thanks!
Eric

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 6 months ago #143350

Terry... are those customized swivel folding side mount seats? Love that helm seating arrangement.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 6 months ago #143364

Hey Bart 59 Dodge,

If your talking about the helm seats on Mama Mia! I can tell you they really work well.

Some have complained they are too light weight, but I never had a problem and they are comfortable.

The frames and swivels are original although I had to replace the chairs.

This is what was standard equipment from Glasspar with the passenger chair optional.

Ended up trashing the original seats but amazingly the upholstery in the cabin has survived 60 years.

I used a Garelick helm chairs as replacements and I know when I bought them Garelick offered a similar arrangement with swivel and folding side mount.

They are easily removed and its perfect to stow my bike in place of the chair when I take the river trips.

Thanks,
Terry

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 4 months ago #143574

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey Terry,
I'm on the cusp of buying a '59. It needs new floors, stringers and transom wood, but that's fine...otherwise it looks very, very complete and in decent condition. The floors have already been removed and some of the cabin stripped but all parts are included. Would you be my point man with some pictures of various areas of the boat if needed so I can see how this thing should look? Also, that '59 only transom well...is it problematic in any way? I figure since they changed the design there may have been some issue but who knows. You might have some insight there.
Thanks!
Eric

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 4 months ago #143663

Sedan out for a cruise with no less than 9 people aboard. Nice old Merc too.

Image courtesy of WoodBoater

Hey Eric,Yeah, lets see what you are looking at.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 4 months ago #143667

• DaveA
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I’ve enjoyed seeing these photos and reading the discussion. I like these little cruisers and the Seafair is one of my favorites.

Did the boats all have plywood transoms or did this go away with the wood stringers? Any idea when foam was introduced in the bilges? I know of a 67 here in NC with a 135 Evinrude that I wanted but the owner decided to keep it.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 4 months ago #143682

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Terry,
Lake Wallenpaupack is not all that far from me. Great pic. I can hear Richard Dreyfuss in Jaws saying "Gentlemen...the officer wanted me to tell you that you're overloading that boat."

I don't know why I can't ever seem to get private messages through here. Can I just have your email so I can contact you directly?

So you've seen this boat on another thread. It's the one with the docking lights. Spent it's life in Missouri and came to me from Indiana. A whole lotta work ahead, that sadly will have to wait for quite a while as I am in the middle of a victorian era home restoration. But I want to gain the knowledge now.

Got the boat with a good condition 1959 trailer and the original Evinrude V4 75hp Starflite II. I'd ideally love to restore the engine as well.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 4 months ago #143684

Hello DaveA and welcome to FG

They were cool little cruisers for sure. At boat shows I’ve heard this rhetorical question more than once – Why don’t they make them like this anymore?

As far as I know Glasspar transoms were always plywood and the original Seafairs had a sealed bilge for flotation.

Eric,

Yeah! “They're all gonna die”

You know there is a Glasspar in that civilian flotilla. And I think it was the guys in the Seafair Sunliner that was going after the big fish with dynamite.

I have seen a Seafair Sunliner with docking lights.

I almost bought this boat, but a friend beat me to it.

Got to drive her down at Lake Dora and it is one sweet cruise.

Please post some pics of your 59.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 4 months ago #143685

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I'm not used to this forum...had to resize all my pics. So here you go! Nostrils and all. I spoke to a gentleman who worked for Glasspar both on the floor and in R&D during the Seafair years and he told me docking lights would never have been installed at the factory but rather at the dealer per the request of the purchaser.

The helm panel is in pretty good shape and largely original. I took out the speedo already for safe keeping, and the steering wheel as well which I will be restoring this winter. It's a nifty Vollrath single spoke and the polished base has both a tilt and telescoping feature to it.

Other side has a fuel filler? Perhaps for old saddle tanks? I thought that was odd.

The Starflite II. Such a cool looking cowl. Inside looks pretty decent too. I yanked the auxiliary pull starter and the engine turns fine.

At the transom is where it gets ugly. Even the little wood filler strips used as stiffeners and as something for the trim screws to bite into are rotted, nevermind the transom itself. I am also missing three trim pieces...both the five inch strips that cover the horizontal deck to transom joint and the port side vertical piece. I'm holding the starboard side in my hand there. Anyone have these pieces?

Old pilot tube and my drains....Terry, from the looks of yours in old pre resto pics it seems yours had no drain to the bilge. I wonder if that was a mid year change or an individual plant decision? Mine is the 540th to come out of Nashville in 1959.

Were these white rubber deck grips original? Seems like most I've seen were painted on.

Fin Approved!

For now the boat is tarped well and dry. I took the cabin door inside the house too for safekeeping.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 4 months ago #143686

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Nice. One of my favorite Evinrude models. Dad had that one and I can still hear the sound. Such a cool rig! Congratulations on getting it and best wishes restoring it!

Dr.Go!

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 4 months ago #143687

that was a vvery good thread alot of conversation and love the pictures. i wish i could get that with my mfg.... but not many around so one sided sorta but it was a very good post.

billy

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 4 months ago #143729

Hey cap-n-billybob,

Your posts are always a hoot!

And your creature has haunted me.

I was staying on the boat at a fish camp on the St. John River for a few nights. And did you know the Creature from the Black Lagoon was actually filmed on the St John? Well I did. So, in the middle of the night, I would wake up and the boats rocking and banging into the dock. The hair is standing up on the back of my neck now just thinking about it. I was convinced that the creature was crawling up on the boat get me.

The Creature was always one of my favorite monsters.

Hello Eric,

Congratulations and welcome to the cult.

You see nostrils, I see eyes. As in the “Eye of Horus”

It sounds like you are the guy for that boat. And it even has your bow rails. I’m thinking the fitting in the helm panel may have been for potable water?

59 is the only year with the applied non-skid forward deck. Later years the non-skid texture was in the mold.

I had to replace the original when I recoated the deck and searched long and hard for a suitable replacement. You can find similar product for small step pads but getting a single piece large enough was the challenge.

Mama Mia! is 013 also out of the Nashville plant. I’m curious who the Glasspar employee was you mentioned.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 4 months ago #143732

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Terry,

It was Eddie Grijalva that I was communicating with.

As for Mama Mia!, is she in paint or gelcoat? And did you have all your aluminum trim pieces (the gajillion that there are)
re-anodized? It's all so super bright and shiny! I wish for mine to look that good one day.

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 3 months ago #143766

Hello Eric,

I worked to keep the Sedan as original as possible, so I went with gelcoat when I recoated the top deck. The bottom was recoated up to the chine line when I replaced the transom. the rest of the hull is original gelcoat.

And it’s near a gazillion coats to spray and then at least a gazillon hours sanding it smooth. All the metal parts were removed and machine polished or chrome plated.

Had the pleasure of meeting Eddie down in FL at a Glasspar event in 09. We spent some time talking about shooting Zolatone which is the original textured coating Glasspar used on the interior surfaces. The product is still available and is what I used with Eddies coaching.

Original Zolatone. It is a great durable coating and is actually fun to shoot.

Eddie holding court while inspecting the only 30’ Glasspar known to exist.

Celtic Dreamer

Eddies in there somewhere.

Disguised Glasspar 30 Meridian prototype.

Eddie and the old GOA crew rescued this 25’ Meridian. George Bell, Mike Mckinney and Eddie with his kids.

Pretty sure it was never restored and was in the Mojave Desert somewhere last I heard. Hope its inside out of the sun.

See Eddie hard at work back in the day. Just look for the handsome guy. And watch for the sweet white G3 with the Scott getting air over the stern of a Sedan @ 09:15 min.

California Dreamin - Crank up the volume and enjoy.

Thanks Eddie and George,
Terry

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 3 months ago #143767

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
So Terry, from what I can tell most of the cast parts on the boat like cleats, bow light housing, cast aluminum trim pieces and the like were chrome plated and the extruded aluminum trim (rubrails, window frames, deck trim) was anodized. For the anodized trim, you just machine polished it? At 60 years old most of the anodized surface has long given up...were you able to achieve that shine simply by mechanical polishing and if so did you clear coat them to prevent the raw aluminum from tarnishing?

As far as gel coat I have been looking into products like FCGI's brushable gelcoat, that has some pretty great leveling properties and two coats seem to yield a thickness great enough to still wet sand and polish many times thereafter.

As far as the picture you have of the Zolatone, is that the underside of your toilet covering center cushion - box? As the interior upholstery is gone in mine and with only the plywood bases left behind, how thick is the padding on that center box? it must be considerably thinner than the surrounding cushions or else it would stand much higher than the rest...?

And one more set of questions...What instrumentation do you have on your helm panels, and what are the two chrome thingies that are mounted to the mahogany above the helm panels that protrude a few inches (one per side), lights that shine on the panels?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just in sponge mode right now soaking up all the info I can get!

Thank you
Eric

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 3 months ago #143822

• eperot
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Also.

Does anyone know if 1959's came with the Glasspar "G" side panels inside the cabin and headliner or was that only later?

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 3 months ago #143833

Hello Eric,
The Sedan headliner was not available in the early years and was simply coated with Zolatone.

www.fiberglassics.com/forum/main-forum/133151-airguide-speedo-identification-and-disassembly.html#143780
Answered your questions on the gauges on your other post.

Not sure about the anodizing on the aluminum parts back in the day.

I did think about clear coating after polishing and buffing but not for long.

On the cabin cushions looks like they boxed the center which gives it a couple more inches clearance for the commode. Interestingly they used coconut fiber for padding inside the cushions.

Also know nothing on that brushable gelcoat.

The trim piece you are missing can be replaced with the later style which was cast in 2-pieces. This was an improvement over the original which made it easier to fit.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan questions 3 years 3 months ago #143834

Hello Eric,
Some how I posted twice so read above.

Never mind.
Terry
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8625 guests and no members online