Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 4 years 4 months ago #141522

Hello all. I have recently been given a Glasspar boat and am hoping you can help me with the model name and refurbishing advice. Please see the pictures here. From what I can tell my research this is a 1972 boat. However, the model number in the dash plate does not come up with any information.

The motor worked perfectly when it was parked 3 years ago. I am very aware that it will most likely need a dramatic overhaul. You can see the boat overall needs a lot of love and care. I will be replacing seats and cushions. This will be my first motorboat refurbishing project and would appreciate your guidance based on your knowledge and experience. Personal opinions about the type of boat are not necessary, thank you.

I appreciate your advice on how we can pretty up this boat and get it back in the water in the spring. It has sentimental value to some close friends.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 4 years 4 months ago #141523

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
A warm welcome to you. You've come to the right place for all the information you could possibly get or need. Did you check out the Glassic Library yet? www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Glasspar
There's a link on top of this page. Believe me we've all seen boats in far worse condition than what your pictures show. By the way it looks it'll probably need a new floor and maybe transom but those are not hard to do, just time consuming. If you enjoy some quiet time or family projects this will be ideal.
I see there are OMC controls, Johnson of Evinrude? Lots of information here with experts and shade tree mechanics to share their wealth of knowledge. The Glasspars are a popular boat here, they even have their own string discussions. Il sure you'll get everything you need to know and even some helpful opinions :)
Welcome aboard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JKeating

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 4 years 4 months ago #141524

Thank you. Yes, I’ve gone through the library. The information there stops at 1971, unfortunately. I will find the Glasspar group page here and pose my questions there, as well.

I appreciate your input. Have a great day.

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 4 years 4 months ago #141526

Also the motor is an outboard 115 Johnson.

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 4 years 4 months ago #141527

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
1969 - 1971 CUTLASS. ? Hello J.K. I see New York reg, we were Troy to Poughkeepsie area for many years.. In the History library it reads were LARSON bought out Glasspar in the 1966 time frame. from 68 and 74 ish some boats built had Glasspar side emblems to finish inventory... Your ID plate pic in upper right corner has the LARSON name... The SIX digit # plate,, can NOT be a 1972 boat as the longer 13 digit H.I.N. was stamped into rear upper corner of all boats built in US. . The dealer may had a 1970 left over and registered the boat as 72 , or changed by owners in D.M.V. over time. ! Your hull may have come out of a Larson mold, but made at prior Glasspar facitity. ?

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 4 years 4 months ago #141528

I appreciate your input. When I researched the 6 digit serial number I found that this number falls within the range of boats that were made in 1972. I do not yet have the paperwork for the boat to compare to as the person is in Florida for the month and the paper work is here in Saranac Lake, NY. The boat belonged to my friend's father who passed a number of years ago. I also found that the 13 digit numbers did not come about until the end of the 1972 year, I think it was November 1st. So, my understanding is the 6 digit numbers are possible for 1972 as long as the boat was made pre November 1, 1972. It's all confusing.

Hoping to get it in the water to enjoy this spring!

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 4 years 4 months ago #141529

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
J.K. With the bigger 115 H.P. motor , I would measure the LENGTH of the hull and see if it is like 17 1/2 ft. . Can match with other members that have one similiar.. I recall other forums talk about a FLYING V-175 model. . ( 17 ft 2 inch ) Even if you see a E--- bay brochure in that 1972 showing a Closed Bow photo , the model could have been ordered / built as a Open bow rider. IMO. ? . A early 1972 build is a valid comment.. Is the motor original ,? what year does the motor # indicate. ?
As above CUTLASS is 16 ft.

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 4 years 4 months ago #141530

The boat is about 17’. Tried measuring it the other day with snow on it. The motor is a 1974.

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 4 years 4 months ago #141532

that's a good fine reminds me of my "project" first for me too .. i had a lot of guidance and direction from all these guys and gals and i cant be happier with the final project .. you will have advice for each ear. take your time and plan it out. a good plan will keep you interested and keep you looking to the next item on the list. enjoy it that is the main thing if you see something you want to change or modify change it modify it. its your boat. i was told it would keep me out of the streets. it did... hahaha good luck

billy

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 4 years 4 months ago #141538

This is from the 1972 Glasspar catalog. Your model number corresponds to the Citation outboard. The catalog was printed on textured paper, so the images aren't very clear in the reproduction. I hope that this will help.

Lee Wangstad

Attachments:

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 4 years 4 months ago #141539

Thank you so very much! This is incredibly helpful! Where did you find this catalog? I’ve been searching for something like this to give me more information. I appreciate your help and sending me this page from the catalog.

Glasspar Boat Refurbishing Help 2 years 3 months ago #146002

I am hoping to purchase a very similar green glasspar this week, and was wondering how your refurb project went?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6560 guests and one member online