Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1978 Hammond El Dorado

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 8 months ago #140514

Ive found what I think is a 1978 El Dorado that has been in storage for 20 years. Physically in excellent condition. I would say a 9 out of 10. We dont know how long its been since the engine has been cranked. Maybe over 15-20 years. The inboard engine looks fantasic. Even the hoses look fresh and its very clean. Im not sue what the engine is maybe a 302? Does anyone know if this boat has any value as a classic boat? I'm not a boat guy but I called a local Marina and he didnt want to work on it, had never heard of Hammond and said parts would be impossible to find. I could buy it for $1000 maybe a little less but if I did it would probably be to flip. Love your input. i have included a STOCK photo of the boat but it almost looks as good.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 8 months ago #140515

Hammonds are a company Bob Hammond started after he left Glastron , which he co founded . They were well built for their time but are still susceptible to the same things boats from that era suffer from , mostly rotten wood . If the boat is complete , all trim and badging , all the other parts are off the shelf available . As far as value throw up some pictures .
If you can grab a 9 out of 10 Hammond for a grand or less , i wouldn't hesitate .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Russella

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 8 months ago #140519

I should be able to get some pics in a couple days. It really seems like a time capsule to me. Thanks for the input

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 6 months ago #141115

Ok so I now own this boat and its incredible. It drives like a new one but with 56 hours I guess it should? I dont know if this boat has ever seen ethanol gas:) I will post some pics and am looking for anyone who may be a Hammond enthusiast that may know what its worth. Its really in incredible shape like it was in a time capsule.

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 6 months ago #141117

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Very impressive and well preserved! That is some serious interior!

Dr.Go!

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 6 months ago #141121

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
The engine is a 305 CID (Chevy based) V8 with an OMC stringer outdrive. If you can grab it for $1,000 or less, I'd say go for it. The engine/outdrive alone, with just 56 hours, is worth at least triple that amount.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 6 months ago #141122

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Great shape but not my thing...the interior is way too gaudy. It looks like it should have shag carpeting. On a positive note: The engine is a 305 CID (Chevy based) V8 with an OMC stringer outdrive. If you can grab it for $1,000 or less, I'd say go for it. The engine/outdrive alone, with just 56 hours, is worth at least triple that amount.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 6 months ago #141125

Russella wrote: Ok so I now own this boat and its incredible. It drives like a new one but with 56 hours I guess it should? I dont know if this boat has ever seen ethanol gas:) I will post some pics and am looking for anyone who may be a Hammond enthusiast that may know what its worth. Its really in incredible shape like it was in a time capsule.

You can join the Classic Glastron Owners Association Minnesota chapter , we consider Hammonds part of the family and there are a bunch of Glastron facebook pages also .

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 6 months ago #141148

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
There is an entire web site devoted (and devoted is the right term) to Hammond boats. Thye have a real cult following
look here https://www.classicglastron.com/hm-hammond-index.html and here https://www.classicglastron.com/78hm-1950intro-2.htm

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 4 months ago #141507

I also found a 1979 Hammond El Dorado this year on Craigslist. In late August pulled it from Maine back to Pennsylvania.
Attachments:

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 4 months ago #141508

That interior is hideous...and it should stay that way. Congrats on the time capsule, classics are only original once.

Great save, hope you enjoy the heck out of her!

1978 Hammond El Dorado 4 years 4 months ago #141510

The interior while gaudy at first, does grow on you. Plus the fact that it is almost all original.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7500 guests and no members online