• Page:

TOPIC: ACBS Lake Minocqua

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136877

• Terrydi
  • Terrydi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
We had a perfect summer weekend in the Northwoods for the ACBS Glacier Lakes Chapter 26th Annual Minocqua Antique and Classic Boat Show held last weekend.

We met lots of really friendly folks everywhere we went up there and this is on my list to attend again next year. The show venue and its close proximity to town with only walking distance to bars, breweries, restaurants and shops is a big plus.

Over 40 gorgeous boats were on display with the majority in the water.

A stunning win there was this 1966 GW Invader with the 66 Merc 500. Galina Haugh proudly took home the Captains Choice "Best in Show" and "Best Outboard"

Although Galina's father David did not medal for his 1958 Thompson, the boat is impeccably restored, and it's obvious David and Galina make a great classic boating team.

More to follow
Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136881

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Awesome boats, Terry. Sorry that I ended up not coming to the show because I needed to tear out a blown V-8 out of my wife’s car to replace it. We will do our best not to miss this show next year. Was the gentleman there with his original Yellow Jacket with red 6 cylinder Merc and original early 70s yellow and white Chevy Pickup? Great guy. Another favorite a few years back was a woody with twin big block 440 Chryslers. Direct drives what an amazing sound! Glad it was a good show for you. Did you join in on the Friday night parade in front of the ski show bleachers? Can’t wait for more pictures! That little invader is sweet.

Dr.Go!

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136882

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Thanks for the pics Terry. It must have been a beautiful day for the show.
Hopeful to get my rocket in the water this week to tweak that butt kickin' Johnson motor. Would really like to do the Fox River run next Saturday for the South Bay show.

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136890

• Terrydi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey All,

The Ski Show did not include the Classic Boat Fly-Bys due to high water. But we did see the ski show from the deck at the Thirsty Whale. Good Fish Fry there with ice cold cows and it was all fun and very corny. We are definitely going back up again for this event next year. I did not see the Yellow Jacket or the Twin Chryslers there.

Another very cool Glassic was Dick's "Dick'N Around".

A very original 1972 Century Resorter with a Chrysler 318. I went out on the lake with Dick and man this thing really moves.

Gotta love that genuine Naugahyde. Captains Choice gave her Best Fiberglass.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136894

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
My Inlaws had a house across for the Thirsty Whale! Home of the "summer hummers"!

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136895

• Terrydi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Summer Hummers? Robby, I know you gotta have a story that defines that term.

Cal, I also know you are partial Century boats, as am I, and this 1955 Arabian Luu Lee is just too sweet in my eyes.

The finish was recently professionally restored as original.

According to the owner John, this beautiful blue stain was a prototype color that never went to Production.

135 HP Chrysler Marine straight six.

An awesome woody for sure. John and his Lu Lee were awarded Best Century.

Thanks,
Terry

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136896

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
If memory serves, those Summer Hummer drinks were served in a metal bucket that you could sign and back in the day, they would hang them from the ceiling. The ceiling was solid buckets. When you went back, you had to find yours or friends. I think they were a greenish drink... maybe based on lemon- lime Vodka. As far as the marine 318, weren’t they about 225hp? A friend had one in a 1977 Ski Nautique that ran nice. Great pictures Terry!

Dr.Go!

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136900

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Those Century's do have a soft spot here.
Summer hummers is a generic name for just about anything served on a hot day that includes lemonade. Usually the next morning they are referred to as summer bummers.

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136909

• Terrydi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Oh yeah I did see people drinking something out of little pails with umbrellas and they sure looked frosty good.

Found the story of the Thirsty Whale Summer Hummer:
thethirstywhaleminocqua.blogspot.com/

"Moscow Mule Bucket Club" When you drank a bucket you got to hang it on the ceiling and become a bucket club member. The bucket club was a huge success and upon selling the bar in 1970 they had members from all 50 states and 7 foreign countries. In 1965 Joe had again completely remodeled the bar and restaurant.

Joe and Ruth sold the bar to Norman and Donna Schooth and cousins Roger and Joan Springston. It was then that the name was changed to "The Thirsty Whale."

Norman and Donna's daughter and husband, Gary and Jan Speil ran the bar for them at first and not long after bought them out continuing to run the business until 1979. The Moscow Mule was replaced in the buckets with a drink they called the "Summer Hummer". After contacting the Mohawk bottling company they were able to get them to bottle and distribute the mixture that they used for the "Summer Hummers." It is called Limon. It has been a popular item for the past 25 years for not only The Thirsty Whale but for many others who enjoy making it at other establishments and at home.

Went out on Dick'N Around and got a short video on my phone. The sound is not the best but you can hear that bad Mopar rumble.

The last boat you see in the video passing us is this very nicely restored 1958 Carver Colonel Blondie.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136910

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Summer Hummers were in a metal bucket that held over a quart of a mix that was ..I dunno, but finish one and still walk ya win! Yep, Engraved and hung on the ceiling. I staggered out that night, fell in the boat with the wife, short blast across the lake to the boat house. Pull in the boat house, half ass tie up, stagger out and start going up the hill and..?..."this aint right"! Close but no cigar as its was the neighbors boat house 2 away from ours! Gotta give me credit for "got close"! Lotta fun up there! Boating summer, sleds winter. This was back middle 70's.

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136912

• asign
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks for the great pics and narrative as usually Terry Di. The video with the rear view ski mirror perspective was a fun surprise. High water all over Illinois and Wisconsin putting a wrinkle in our boating this year. We set a record for over 14 inches of rain in June. The river here just now opened this week for downtown fireworks viewing and the local ski team show. Summer hummers here are vodka lemonades. I think by the bucket deserves a trophy and a crawl out of the boat.

First, do no harm!
It's a lot easier to buy a boat than sell a boat.(Stole this from a member!)
All that work and hardware store mailbox letters for the hull? Tsk tsk..

ACBS Lake Minocqua 5 years 9 months ago #136951

• Terrydi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Robby,
I knew with buckets of booze there had to be a tale.

Mary,
The entire Fox waterway system is now open. Come on down to Famous Freddies Saturday and I'll have some icy cold ones for you and Bill.

1976 Century Sabre with Ford 351 V8. Nice family skier and Jerry says they use her weekend during the summer.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 4.118 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)