Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Redfish Shark Windshield

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 4 weeks ago #135789

I am restoring a 1959 Redfish Shark. I needed a new windshield so I decided to make one out of 1/4 inch plexiglass. They were heat formed them in a really large oven so they hold their shape properly. I attached a picture of the windshield on my boat. Since I'm all tooled up to produce Redfish windshields, is anyone else out there interested in a windshield?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 4 weeks ago #135790

WOW! That looks really nice. Good Work! So what are the dimensions? I have a '58 Shell Lake Rocket that could use a 60 in replacement. let me know, thanks!

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 4 weeks ago #135793

It's 12 inches tall but I'll have to get the width and length dimensions and get back to you. It is at least 4 inches shorter than the original style but I thought the original style was too ugly so I went shorter and more raked back. I attached a side view for further reference. The ends haven't been finished yet in the picture.
Attachments:

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 4 weeks ago #135794

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Windshields are not a one size fits all. Not only the distance end to end but that __(&^E%% hump on the bow is a pain. Just sayin'.
Rocketman... are you planning on going to any shows this season? I would really like to see what you are working with. Anchor Inn still has not set anything on their website and I never got an answer from an inquiry.

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 3 weeks ago #135798

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 19
i am interested as well. looking for a similar windshield that is approx. 60" tip to tip. Where are you located (city, state)?
thx

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 3 weeks ago #135815

Rocketman: My windshield is 57 inches wide. It probably wouldn't work for your boat but the hard part to describe is the curve of the bottom of the windshield and the crown of the bow. If you think the windshield might fit, I would be willing to send you a paper template of the bottom edge of the windshield so you could get an idea of its curve but I don't know how I would accurately describe the crown of the bow. Mine is almost flat, with only a rise of less than 1/2 inch in the middle. Let me know if you would want a template.

tabs creek: I'm in Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 3 weeks ago #135819

Well, I will pass on the template for now. I have a windshield from an old SeaKing 14' (father-in-law's beat up/never covered). It seems to lay flat across the deck, maybe utilizing some flex of the plastic, maybe just lucky... It needs polishing/cleaning and has small stress cracks at a couple mounting holes. Is there a good place to get the white rubber grommets the mounting bolts go through? I see Taylormade windshield mounting strip on line, but no grommets...

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 3 weeks ago #135832

I used this product (link below) as I needed the whole thing. There were 4 hold downs in each package. However, even though the picture on Amazon shows the grommets as white, mine were black. The grommets hardly show in any event. I don't know of any source to get the grommets alone without the whole kit. You might try Wefco Rubber, they make all sorts of rubber products, white included. I bought some white rub rail from Wefco and it is very nice.

www.amazon.com/Taylormade-Hidden-Hold-Down-Fasteners/dp/B0000AZ7RC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1522416835&sr=8-5&keywords=taylormade+windshield#customerReviews

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 3 weeks ago #135833

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
What I've done before on some windshields is to mount the "glass", install the hold downs and then when pushing the bolt through line the hole on the windshield put a dab of clear silicone around it. That way it surrounds the bolt with cushion and protects the plastic from abrasion and seals the hole. Water will always seep in under the rubber though.

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 3 weeks ago #135834

Great advice! Thank you both!

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 2 weeks ago #135902

Sort of off subject but can you tell me where you got your rub rail from? I'm trying to locate some for a '59 Larson rebuild.

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 1 week ago #135964

Wefco rubber
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiramsaint

Redfish Shark Windshield 6 years 2 days ago #136051

59redfish wrote: Wefco rubber

Thank You. I recieved it yesterday and it looks awesome. I over ordered so I was able to cut a small piece and the fit is spot on.

Redfish Shark Windshield 3 years 7 months ago #143228

Hi, I just joined! I bought a 1961 Redfish Shark today and it desperately needs a new windshield! I'm interested if they are still available!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7281 guests and one member online