Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fishing rod holders for old boats?

Fishing rod holders for old boats? 9 years 4 months ago #103716

• Mr. Asa
  • Mr. Asa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Afternoon guys and gals, and a happy new year.

I did some searching, but didn't really find anything that seemed to match what I was looking for.

After replacing the transom and repairing some damage a previous owner caused by using plastic decking for the transom, I've got my boat just about ready for the water. I know that my fiance's first priority is going to be getting a line or two in the water when we're out there (I just like being out on the water)

I don't mind making a rod holder or two, but I'd prefer to not put anymore holes in my boat for mounting. This leads me to think of clamps, but again I'd prefer to not really mar the surface if possible. I've found a couple
www.roxiesshop.com/custom.em?pid=854945
www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.com/shop/down-east-salty-clamp-on-mount-8062
but I'm not sure I like them, and I'm not entirely sure they're what I want

I know someone out there has a solution that I'd like, but I'm not sure where it is.
So, what are you guys doing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Fishing rod holders for old boats? 9 years 4 months ago #103735

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Not knowing what you have for a boat,gunwales or what type of fishing you do makes it difficult to give you a answer.I have the Down Easters and use them for all fresh water fish,mostly Musky and Kings,so they take a beating and are pretty bullit proof.I am always trolling as well. I have the usual 2x6 mounted on the stern and drilled one hole on each side for mounting the 2x6,when not in use I can remove it in two minutes.I also used a 4x4 as a riser to make it easier to grab the rod and its out of the way like that.I bet with a little ingenuity you could come with a plan that does not require drilling for a 2x6 or 2x4 mounting.Pics or more info would be helpful.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re: Fishing rod holders for old boats? 9 years 4 months ago #103738

Mr. Asa,

WELCOME ABOARD.
(And YES photos would help with receiving advice about not drilling/marring the hull.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Fishing rod holders for old boats? 9 years 4 months ago #103742

• Mr. Asa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry, I guess my my link to my previous thread was a little hidden. My previous thread here had some pictures, but we never determined what the manufacturer might be.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/alumi-classics/anyone-recognize-what-manufacturer-made-my-boat

Re:Fishing rod holders for old boats? 9 years 4 months ago #103744

Those Roxie ones there , If you can find mine you can have it. It worked loose and is at the bottom of Keystone Lake near Elderton Pa. If you get them keep a very close eye on them.

Re:Fishing rod holders for old boats? 9 years 4 months ago #103757

I use the plastic ones, available most anywhere for cheap. They have small standoffs built into the back side to help clear the seats. You can also cut small wood blocks for more standoff distance. Attach them with the largest stainless steel sheet metal screws and they'll attach solidly to the aluminum seats. Even this musky couldn't pull the holder loose!

Attachments:

Re:Fishing rod holders for old boats? 9 years 4 months ago #103778

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Normspeed wrote:

I use the plastic ones, available most anywhere for cheap. They have small standoffs built into the back side to help clear the seats. You can also cut small wood blocks for more standoff distance. Attach them with the largest stainless steel sheet metal screws and they'll attach solidly to the aluminum seats. Even this musky couldn't pull the holder loose!

That's because they sent the "baby" to do a mans job of destroying your equipment The minimum length in our harbor is 50" and the river is 48 or 46,I forget,they all go
back in alive so it doesn't matter.I like the board across the back because you rig up the DownEasters so your rods are out 90 degrees and closer to the water ,allowing the lures to slam the bottom. This method also allows me to run three rods with a prop wash one down the middle and it works. The lines do not tangle up this way on turns or when you have one on.[Ribbing you about the fish ,its a nice clean one]

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Fishing rod holders for old boats? 9 years 4 months ago #103779

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Back to the OP,it's hard to tell with you rowing so fast but are there holes in the stern corner braces ? Where do you want to mount them ?GF in the bow seat and you in the stern ? Middle seat ? I am sure you can rig something up without drilling holes,between C-clamps and J-bolts it can be done.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Fishing rod holders for old boats? 9 years 4 months ago #103846

• Mr. Asa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, there are a couple holes in the stern braces from previous owners mounting various things and then galvanic corrosion ate a lot of it away. I need to see how the boat handles best and where the little lady is most comfortable, so about the only thing I can say is I'll be in the back piloting.

I'd rather not mount the plastic holders to the seats, but thinking about it I'd be fine using existing holes if I can prevent them from getting larger. Up at the front are two D-handles (they look like cheap cabinet pulls) that I could remove. I don't think the plastic ones shown earlier would work with those holes, but maybe something with an adjustable angle could be rigged up.

Mounting something to the transom would probably work as well, depending on what.

Re:Fishing rod holders for old boats? 9 years 4 months ago #103857

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
People rarely sit/face forward in a boat that size because of the lack of comfortable foot space. So one side mount between the middle and bow seat and one between the stern and middle in my opinion would suit your needs.Clamps are not going to hurt anything and if your worried you can always put some material behind the clamps that will absorb the clamp marks.

cool runnings Mr 88
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady