• Page:

TOPIC: Evinrude 1966 100s MSD conversion

Evinrude 1966 100s MSD conversion 11 years 10 months ago #62284

• Pat-S
  • Pat-S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So I bought a 67 100s with a bad ignition CDI power pack.
So I decided to convert it to A MSD unit got excited and could not wait so I modified the perfectly good battery ignition on my 66100s powering my 1963 Starcraft Chieftain.
The MSD will fire a series of multiple sparks that lasts for 20° of crankshaft rotation when the engine is running under 3,000 and twice the power of the stock OMC CDI.

So far it starts quicker and idles better let you Know about the rest this weekend.

Parts used
MSD 5520 Street Fire box (least expensive)
MSD 8830 Noise Capacitor (very important voltage spike suppressor)
MDS 8.5mm Super conductor bulk plug wire (stock plug wires are solid core) solid core wire is not recommended by MSD.
MSD 8222 High vibration coil
Used new OMC points and deleted the condenser.
Used surface gap plugs recommended for 1967-68
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Evinrude 1966 100s MSD conversion 11 years 10 months ago #62335

Pat,

good job keeping the old gals running. I'm not sure what the MSD box cost, but it was probably less than what a NOS prestolite power pack would have cost you!

I converted one of my V4s over to a Pertronix system a couple years ago. I did it as an experiment, but the results were great. Instant starts, smooth idle, and less tendancy to "load up" at idle speeds. The nice thing about the Pertronix is that there are no breakers.

Be sure to let us know how this system works out for you.

Bruce

Re:Evinrude 1966 100s MSD conversion 11 years 10 months ago #62343

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
Years ago a good boating bud of mine had an old 90hp V4 and he bypassed the built-in ballast wire and installed a hi-performance automotive coil with internal ballast.

The spark was good 'n hot and that motor ran better than any old V4 I'd ever seen.

He also added an external fuel filter which made the carb happy.

With great spark and good clean fuel, his 90hp ran Almost as good as my Merc 850-6 (100hp carbs) of similar vintage! Harrr! :woohoo:

Cheers.........ed

Re:Evinrude 1966 100s MSD conversion 11 years 9 months ago #63007

• Pat-S
  • Pat-S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Update
Big problem triggering a MSD unit with points Problem #1 MSD is very finicky when using points any kind of oil or slight oxidation of the contact metal and the MSD will not fire consistently at low speeds.(I talked to the MDS tech line about this)

Problem #2 points produce a spark when they break or open when using points to trigger a MSD unit you produce spark when the points close-so your timing is all f upped.

I converted the engine back to points ignition (runs perfect) until I can find a good electronic trigger/pick up that will fit in the distributor housing the MSD will stay off.

Re:Evinrude 1966 100s MSD conversion 11 years 9 months ago #63442

I was afraid of that problem with the points. I did a lot of research before converting my Starflite to Pertronix. I can send instructions on how I did it. You must have access to a lathe to turn down the old breaker point cam. The magnet ring slips on at a pre determined position that is critical. The sensor gets mounted about .20" from the rotator ring. Run the wires to the coil & you are done. I used a 3 Ohm Blaster epoxy marine coil. This allowed me to eliminate the resistor (cloth) wire and use a standard wire for the coil. Engine goes like a scalded dog & idles perfectly. Instant starts too.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jim placko

Re:Evinrude 1966 100s MSD conversion 5 years 7 months ago #137647

bruce, I have a 1967evinrude starflite 100 hp that lost spark. read your post on the pertronix conversion, after spending $300.00 for a cdi electronics pack and coil that lasted 5 minutes.... seems I went the wrong direction !! if you still have the instructions , could you e-mail them to me ? My address: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. It would be greatly appreciated !!

Thank you Jim Placko

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 13905 guests and one member online