• Page:

TOPIC: My Latest Little Barnfind ... McCullouch 9 hp

My Latest Little Barnfind ... McCullouch 9 hp 12 years 10 months ago #35773

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Clean little 9 with an original Scott Atwater tank....$20.

Couple of issues... It's not totally stuck but really tight and close to it. Got Marvel Mystery soaking in the cyls now. Also the tank is a bit rusty inside. Gotta grab some Molassis and start that soaking soon.

Anybody else have a similar motor? Are parts OMC interchangeable?
Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re: My Latest Little Barnfind ... McCullouch 9 hp 12 years 10 months ago #35775

The spark plugs and lower unit drain plugs are interchangeable---Some of the nuts and bolts too.
The rest --Not a chance.

Re:My Latest Little Barnfind ... McCullouch 9 hp 12 years 10 months ago #35782

Not sure but if you look I think that motor was Made by West Bend which is now Chysler. Post the Model and sereal numbers and can find out for sure.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:My Latest Little Barnfind ... McCullouch 9 hp 12 years 10 months ago #35784

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I guess you consider this a Scott Attwater:
In 1956, Scott-Atwater was approached by McCulloch to buy their outboard operation. Scott-Atwater did sell out this same year.
In 1957 the 33 hp became a 40 hp. Although the name Scott-Atwater was still on the cowling, the company, now owned by McColloch, called themselves Scott. Fiberglass cowlings appeared on some of the outboards.

In 1958 the new 3 cylinder 60 hp was introduced. The name brand name on the outboards eventually became Scott and Scott-McCulloch. By 1964 all of the motors were McCulloch only. By 1966, McCulloch was looking for a buyer for the outboard motor business. Management had decided to concentrate on their core landscape equipment business. Lacking a buyer, they folded the outboard division in late 1967.

The following brands were produced by Scott-Atwater. Some brands (Firestone) would be licensed to other manufacturers after being discontinued by Scott-Atwater.

Champion outboards 1935-1942

Scott-Atwater 1946-1959

Firestone Outboards 1946-57

Corsair Outboards 1948-1957

Hiawatha 1956-1959

Wizard 1959-? This was only added because in 1959 and or 1960 the Bail-A-Matic feature was on some of these outboards that McCulloch produced for Western Auto.

The SN is 700340d-111501(which I found is a 1968) The last 6 digits are stamped on the plate meaning unique I guess. The first 7 is model number. I need to figure out the points settings. Looks like stand points and condensers under the flywheel to me.

I got her free'd up but there was a bunch of crap in one of the cylinders.....still don't know what it is...wood chips or something...came pouring out with the Marvel oil when I turned it over. I took a pic and will post later.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:My Latest Little Barnfind ... McCullouch 9 hp 12 years 10 months ago #35795

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Progress.... cleaned and set the points to the standard on these old girls .020 and got spark. Put it back together and actually got it to kick a bit. Then gave up for now. There's hope she will live again but that is for another day. Too many other projects.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:My Latest Little Barnfind ... McCullouch 9 hp 12 years 10 months ago #35975

ck out laings....maybe not spelled correctly. though Ive never used them they do list some parts for scott-mcculloch, some nice vids on youtube of the 9 hps. I had one in the early 70s, I loved that motor!

Re:My Latest Little Barnfind ... McCullouch 9 hp 12 years 10 months ago #35985

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
That is a clean motor.
Nice price also.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:My Latest Little Barnfind ... McCullouch 9 hp 12 years 10 months ago #36087

What does molassas do? You put in in the gas tank?

Re:My Latest Little Barnfind ... McCullouch 9 hp 12 years 10 months ago #36121

The molssaa is suppose to eat the rust. I tryed it once on some rusted parts but didn't do anything. For rusted gas tanks I take all the parts out and put in a couple hands full of nut and bolt adn some kerosen then shake the hell out of it. You arms get tire fast so set it aside and everytime I walk by pick up and give it a shake. Then pour the kerosen out and look inside if it looks clean great if not pour in some more kerosen and start over.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)