• Page:

TOPIC: '57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump

'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #35305

• n0ukf
  • n0ukf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Is there any decent way to add a charging system to a '57 Lark 30hp? I was told that an electric fuel pump would do to run this on a regular non-pressurized tank but I'm wary of how long a battery would last running a pump and occasional starts.

Alternatively, would a vacuum-driven pump be easy to retrofit on it? Any suggestions on a specific pump to look for?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #35433

you could get a genrator kit for it but it would cost almost as much as the motor is worth. TO Change it over to a fuel pump is easy. You can get another inspection plate that has the hole in it ready for a fuel pump or drill the hole and tap the screw holes your self. Or you can get a small Mucni fuel pump and just drill the hole in the inspection plate and tap for a small hose fitting. Thought I had a digram for the change over to fuel pump but can't find it.
I know somebody else has the diagram so maybe they can post it.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #35441

Or you can drill the upper plate on your motor and install a pump

I use a #15 drill bit to drill A all the way through (any size near that will work) then I tap the Bs for a #10 screw (some time they are already taped)

Go to NAPA and order this pump

www.go2marine.com/search.do?q=18-7352

Or ebay

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EVINRUDE-Johnson-OMC-Fuel-Pump-/360375956654?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item53e814b4ae

You will need to make a gasket for most pumps bought on ebay

BTW a 1957 will be 35 hp

CAVU

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #35629

Why not just keep the pressure tank system? It's a tried and true system - been in use for 60 years. Rebuild kits are available for the tanks. And, contrary to popular belief, they're no more hazardous than newer tanks. An electric fuel pump - now THAT's a hazard. If the motor stalls, the pump is still going. If you do want to go to a fuel pump, go with a traditional pulse pump...

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #36120

• n0ukf
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Chinewalker wrote:

Why not just keep the pressure tank system? It's a tried and true system - been in use for 60 years. Rebuild kits are available for the tanks.

I have a tank for it but no hoses. What is the normal setup on these, primer pump bulb on the supply side hose like all the non-pressurized ones? This tank just has hose barbs, did they make quick disconnects for them (one connector for both hoses)?

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #36123

There is a primer button on the tank so no primer bulb need and there is a conector that goes to the motor. The conector can be hard to get but they are out there. Post a add on here for one or go to the old outboad motor site and post a add on there. Heres the link www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=Webvertize
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #36128

n0ukf wrote:

Chinewalker wrote:

Why not just keep the pressure tank system? It's a tried and true system - been in use for 60 years. Rebuild kits are available for the tanks.

I have a tank for it but no hoses. What is the normal setup on these, primer pump bulb on the supply side hose like all the non-pressurized ones? This tank just has hose barbs, did they make quick disconnects for them (one connector for both hoses)?

If you do not have the hose fitting for the motor end you will need to find one...Look at spending around $35 up for a use one and $120 for a new one

You will need one for each tank for the hose stays with the tank

Most people that use their motors much are changing to the new "single hose/pump" system. I have 4 (here) 1957 35 hp and one 1956 30 hp of all of them I have 3 set for the pump...One came from the factory with a pump) The other two are going on a boat as twins They can be changed back to duel line system in 30 min for the AOMCI shows

If you are going to use the boat much I would go with the pump. You will be able to change just the tanks and not need many hoses .... and the plastic tanks do not mar up the boat as much

CAVU

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #36323

TallTexan wrote:

I use a #15 drill bit to drill A all the way through (any size near that will work) then I tap the Bs for a #10 screw (some time they are already taped)

Go to NAPA and order this pump

www.go2marine.com/search.do?q=18-7352

Or ebay

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EVINRUDE-Johnson-OMC-Fuel-Pump-/360375956654?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item53e814b4ae

You will need to make a gasket for most pumps bought on ebay

BTW a 1957 will be 35 hp

If the motor is a 30hp, it will not have the handy pre-cast-in boss on the intake cover...

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #36329

If it is a 30 Hp then it is a 1956

the only year that Evinrude made 30 Hp (without fuel pumps already installed) is 1930 and 1956

However in 1956 through 1959 they used the same bypass cover

You drill the bypass cover...back part of the power head port side..two of them ...drill the one that is easiest to mount the pump to

My 1955 25 hp has the same covers....however I am not sure if those are the cover that cam with the motor

CAVU

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #36365

• n0ukf
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
TallTexan wrote:

That pic is cropped a little too close. Is that the plates on the side of the cylinder intake passages from crankcase?
Attachments:

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #36381

n0ukf wrote:

TallTexan wrote:

That pic is cropped a little too close. Is that the plates on the side of the cylinder intake passages from crankcase?

Are you sure that that motor is a 1957...the cover is the same as I have on the lower of my 1955 25 hp...and 30 hp were 1956 may be an early 56 ..can you post the Mpd#

Drill and tap one of the plate for a hose bar fitting. Buy this pump (item #1)first as to know what bar fitting you need. (get one that turns at a 90 degree if you can...it helps.)...Yes I know that it is a Honda, but it works and the price is real nice

www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Generator/0/EN2500%20AL%20GENERATOR%2C%2 ...

The pump has an in, out and a pulse

www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/columns/max/5/index.cfm

CAVU

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #36385

• n0ukf
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
first link won't load

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #36387

CAVU

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #36392

• n0ukf
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Better. And those are good up to at least 30hp?

I don't know why I said 1957, it's a '56 30hp. Model/serial 25526-16692

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark 30hp electrical & fuel pump 12 years 10 months ago #36395

CAVU
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted