• Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Evinrude Fat Fifty Jubilee paint help

1959 Evinrude Fat Fifty Jubilee paint help 13 years 5 days ago #31770

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
OK, so the doc says I still can't do anything strenuous for another couple of weeks soooo I may as well get ready for the Rude project in the mean time.

Question, I need confirmation if these are the right colors for the Evinrude 1959 Fat Fifty Jubilee motor.

I'm assuming this is Fathom Blue and Surf White on the cover

I'm also assuming this is the Platinum Mist on the engine and Lower unit not the Shark Grey

I want to repaint the cover since the idiot that I am tried to wetsand and buff out the paint! Forgot that paint wasn't real think and the edges always expose first. :S Should have left well enough alone.

So do I lightly sand with 320 then prime with a regular non-etching primer then paint? I know NY Marine has the paint but looked a little expensive and he says on the website that the rattle can is softer than using the other he has with the catalyst.
I know CarQuest matches paint but I don't know how close or how much it will be.

Any suggestions?

Bob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Evinrude Fat Fifty Jubilee paint 13 years 5 days ago #31776

If you want to do the best job Peter's paints (NY Marine) cant be beat, the colors are right on and they go on great, even the rattle cans! Otherwise if close is good enough.....

Re:1959 Evinrude Fat Fifty Jubilee paint help 13 years 1 day ago #32091

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Al,
Thanks, so I'm assuming I can get away with some regular primer? Will one can of each color be enough to cover this?

Kind of surprised i didn't get more action on this. Maybe I should have posted it on the main forum.

Bob

Re:1959 Evinrude Fat Fifty Jubilee paint help 13 years 1 day ago #32094

I just had the PPC paint shop here match some 1958 Evinrudes paint

Came out a 100% match and lot cheaper (about 50% off)

They can add it to a spray can that you push a trigger in and shake ...must use all within a few Hrs...Harbor Freight is going to have their HVLP 20zo gun on sale next month for around $15

CAVU

Re:1959 Evinrude Fat Fifty Jubilee paint help 13 years 1 day ago #32103

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Keep us posted on your progress with the Fattie Bob, I've been following along with you here. (I try not to post on matters I have little or no knowledge on, but watching to learn.) The number of Johnny-Rude fans may not be a great as other brands, but we're just as compassionate about them! If I had the dinero ($) to buy a NEW outboard, it'd probably be an E-Tec 2 stroke.
I know you'll do a great job with it. ;) Hope you heal quickly, BTW!

The way shipping and gas prices are going up these days, sourcing anything you can locally gets more viable in my consideration. (Still reeling from the gas receipts from the 1200+ mile trip to pickup the GT-150.) :S

That primer TT posted (in the main forum) looks like the best thing since sliced bread, will be interesting to see if anybody tries it out and reports back.

Mark

Re:1959 Evinrude Fat Fifty Jubilee paint help 13 years 16 hours ago #32143

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
TT, thanks, I did pick up the 5CFM HVLP gun for cheap a while back in prep to do this job but wasn't sure if I should just use the NY Marine rattle can but I'm thinking CarQuest should probably be able to match it.

Mark, thanks, I'll keep you all posted. I'm with you, with prices the way they are right now if I can get it matched I think I'm going to go that route. I think there's a problem with shipping pint into the U.S., at least that's what I was told. Hazardous material and all but it doesn't say anything about that on the web site.

Bob

P.S., so far so good, hearings coming back and vertigo is all gone. :P

Re:1959 Evinrude Fat Fifty Jubilee paint help 12 years 10 months ago #35061

plaese dont get me wrong here im not trying to blast hvlp guns,but i have painted and custom painted many years,so when i went to paint the sunray i used 3 brand new hvlp guns,i coudnt get them to work right no matter what i did,so i got a cheap siphon gun and it came out good,maybe im just too old for change,lol,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Evinrude Fat Fifty Jubilee paint help 12 years 10 months ago #35063

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John,
Thanks, I have the Harbor Freight HVLP gun and I also have an old Sears pressure gun, may try both and see what happens. Now that I got to let my uncle drive the boat I can refocus on the restoration and hot rodding.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)