Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Worth bringing over, hope y'all don't mind

Worth bringing over, hope y'all don't mind 14 years 1 month ago #1900

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Johnson Powershift II
Written by: Mark (CutterKeeper) at 2/20/2010 5:44:08 AM (Server Time EST)
The 1973 Johnson 115 I have is the Powershift II model, and I'm about to replace the water pump impeller, seals etc. with a kit. I was looking in the Clymer manual and it calls for OMC hi-vis oil (I think) in the gearcase. Is there an aftermarket product that would be an acceptable substitute? I certainly don't want to damage anything by using the wrong lube in the lower unit.

Thanks,
MarkS
Re:Johnson Powershift II
In response to: Johnson Powershift II
Written by: Jim Andros (JimAndros) at 2/20/2010 9:23:59 AM (Server Time EST)
You need Type C oil for electric shift units.

OMC calls it "Premium Blend". Also made by Sierra & Lubrimatic.

Jim
In response to: Re:Johnson Powershift II
Written by: Mark (CutterKeeper) at 2/20/2010 9:22:43 PM (Server Time EST)
Jim, it's not the push button electric shift, it has a shift cable in the throttle lever with linkage inside the cowling going down to the gearcase. The manual indicates it's hydraulic assist, something new to me. Guess I'd better research it some more. Thanks for the input, though?
Written by: adrian (professor) at 2/21/2010 12:53:41 AM (Server Time EST)
Powershift II is absolutely not the same as electric shift. Hy-Vis is your best bet.
PS the oil does not need to be changed every year if you only use the motor occasionally.
Most outboard gear oil is changed way to often.
Written by: Mark (CutterKeeper) at 2/21/2010 4:42:30 AM (Server Time EST)
Thanks Adrian, guess I'll have to order some online. There aren't any OMC dealers anywhere near me. I just bought this boat a few weeks ago, and want to do a water pump kit, carb & f/p kits, etc., so the fresh lube is a "must" in this case. I just ordered the carb to silencer gaskets from BRP yesterday, it was the only place I could find them. Maybe I can add a quart of lube to that order. 'preciate the info.

Update - The BRP site doesn't list the Hy-vis lube! They offer HPF XR and PRO (synthetic) any suggestions?

MarkS
Written by: adrian (professor) at 2/21/2010 9:58:15 AM (Server Time EST)
The site I checked showed omc HY-VIS as available. That is what I would use.
Time to find a local dealer ( any Marine dealer ) who will order / ship it to you.
Written by: Jim Andros (JimAndros) at 2/22/2010 8:17:57 PM (Server Time EST)
You have opened a can of worms regarding how often oil needs to be changed.

Unless you have a late model I/O with an internal reservoir, you have no simple way to check oil level or condition.

So, in order to check it you pull the top plug & hopefully it is full & clean oil trickles out. If so, OK don't change it if that is what pleases you.

If no oil is visible, time to start filling thru the bottom. At this time you may as well drain it too.

If oil has any contamination, then further service is required.

Now, here is some food for thought - The same gearcases are used for more than one engine thru a range of HP. It will stand to reason that the higher HP engines will create more wear on the internals than a lower HP engine during the same amount of hours. So, assuming the oil is NOT contaminated (as in water) there will still be more pulverized metal in the higher HP engines. So, I would think more frequent oil changes would be in order.

The best example I can give is a MerCruiser 1 drive. The Alphas were used from a 120 HP 4 cylinder to a 330 HP 454 called the "454 Magnum Alpha One" in 1986, 87 & 88. The only difference between these drives were the upper gears creating gear ratios of 1.98, 1.84, 1.65, 1:50 and 1.32. Do you really believe that after 100 hours or 1 season (the recommended oil change interval) that there would be equal wear in the gearcases considering the different HP, torque and boat weights pushed?

Oil is cheap insurance - period.
Written by: Jim Andros (JimAndros) at 2/22/2010 8:03:38 PM (Server Time EST)
I pulled out my 1973 service manual & it showed the electric shift. Note there were 2 electric shifts over time; One in the old non-thru hub exhaust that used electromagets & springs. Later thru hub models used an electric shift solenoid that moved the shift spool. 1973 was the last year for these and they have one cable from the control box to the throttle only.

If you have 2 cables, then you need hi-vis lube. Mercury lube will work too. Also, the OMC/BRP XPF is OK. It is the new standard factory fill used in E-Tecs.

If you have one cable, you need OMC premuim blend, also known as Type "C".

Perhaps you have a 1974 motor????

BTW, the spinning vertical driveshaft was used as an oil pump & did assist the shift in the mechanical shifts.

Jim
Written by: Mark (CutterKeeper) at 2/22/2010 8:17:25 PM (Server Time EST)
The id plate on the motor reads model 115ESL73M, so I believe it's a 1973. It definitely has two cables, and is thru-hub exhaust. I believe in the "new" synthetics whenever acceptable, so guess I'll go that route.

No disrespect meant to the professor, but I also believe annual(minimum)gear lube change is a good idea. The drained lube is a good indicator of what is going on in the gearcase, if anything. It only takes 1/2 quart to fill it from empty, and water or metal will certainly spell disaster if not addressed immediately.

Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it!

MarkS
Written by: adrian (professor) at 2/23/2010 7:27:04 AM (Server Time EST)
All 73 models were POWERSHIFT II and are hydraulic pressure assisted ( via servo ) from a pump driven by the forward gear. The grooving on the driveshaft was to assist in keeping oil circulating to the thrust bearing.----No electrics are involved in the shifting. 72 was the last year for electric shift on outboards.---Lower units are sealed and no contaminents enter and most of the time oil needs to be checked but not changed out.
Written by: Jim Andros (JimAndros) at 2/23/2010 10:55:55 PM (Server Time EST)
You are correct, the spiral actually does feed oil up to the upper bearing just below the water pump. I can't remember how the assist pressure is created but is is used to assist the clutch dog movement.

As for 1972 or 1973, I took the 1973 volume of manuals right off the shelf & the 115 section only showed the electric shift model. That is not to say that there were not Powershift models too. Perhaps they were a late introduction & were not in the original publications I have. I did not look in my parts catalogs.

Regardless, 2 cable system requires regular HiVis oil or the later synthetics.

We use Type "C", HiVis or XPF (on E-Tec) as required when we service motors. And we change gear oil yearly on all boats we winterize.

Jim
Written by: adrian (professor) at 2/23/2010 11:54:14 PM (Server Time EST)
Actually quite simple
An oil pump driven by the forward gear. ( same as the hydro-electric set-up )The oil pressure is fed up to that mechanical servo / valve unit to assist with movement of the clutch dog.
All the motors in 73 ---2 / 3 and 4 cylinder went to the POWERSHIFT in 73

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6435 guests and one member online