Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Generator for 1966 80 HP Johnson

Generator for 1966 80 HP Johnson 13 years 6 months ago #18037

Is there a difference between the generators used on smaller (28-40 HP) as opposed to larger outboards (60-80 hp)? I just picked up a used generator on ebay but it says it is for 28-40 hp. I am talking about 1966 and earlier. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Generator for 1966 80 HP Johnson 13 years 6 months ago #18046

The generator kit is listed with different part numbers in 1960: 378050 for the V4 and 378161 for the twin cylinder models. I do not know what the difference is between the generator kits.

If you have the Starflite model (electric shift), you might have a stator charging system already. The Speedifour model with manual shift does not have an under-flywheel charging system. What is your model number?

Re:Generator for 1966 80 HP Johnson 13 years 6 months ago #18094

The model number for the outboard is V4SL-18C SN# J2712462 (1966 80 HP Johnson). I am trying to piece together a kit and purchased this Generator off Ebay it is stamped GJG-4003-M-12v it came off a 1965 40HP Johnson. Paid $10. plus $15. shipping. Seemed like it was worth a shot.

Re:Generator for 1966 80 HP Johnson 13 years 6 months ago #18095

I think the generators themselves are pretty similar, but the cogged wheels are different. Not sure if the shafts are different to accommodate them or not...

Re:Generator for 1966 80 HP Johnson 13 years 6 months ago #18116

I think you got a deal. From your model number, I see you have the manual shift, non-stator motor.

By the late '60s, the twin cyl generator kit was #380256 and the V4 kit #380255. The kit included generator, pulley belt, mounting bracket, voltage regulator, and ammeter.

You have a generator marked GJG-4003-M - the OMC part number for this generator assembly is 378048 (this is an Autolite generator). I have the parts diagram for the generator itself from an Evinrude service bulletin and the pulley # doesn't change from generator model to generator model- you MIGHT be okay there.

You will also need a voltage regulator: #377001 (Prestolite VB0-4201Y-1 or #380250 (Autolite C4FF-10505A) are interchangeable and work for all kits. I do not know the #s for the bracket or pulley belt- I would suggest hunting up the parts manual for the OMC DC generator kit. The service manual for your engine might also be useful.

Re:Generator for 1966 80 HP Johnson 13 years 6 months ago #18307

The generators are all the same, except the V4 kit did not have the bracket. The V4 kit included the belt & the cog pully that attached to the bottom of the flywheel. It also had a different cover for the switchbox that had a big Delco regulator inside it. The regulator box is the hard part to find. I encourage you to find the parts from a 1967 V4 with a flywheel/ alternator & rob those parts for your engine. You will need the flywheel, stator, top bearing cap, and flywheel guard. This sounds complicated, but it's actually very easy. It also gives you an opportunity to replace the upper crankshaft seal - as they are almost always leaking by now, causing a lean condition on the top cylinder. It will produce more power than the old delco generator, and you won't need the regulator box because the '67 used a solid state rectifier. Another thing, the V4 drive belts for the generator are almost impossible to get, and NOS ones go for around 80 bucks. 1967 is the only year that the parts will correctly interchange.

Here is a pic of this conversion I did on a 1961 Starflite III. The alternator produces enough power at itle to run the engine & lights, while still registering a slight charge into the battery. This means that you can idle all day without the battery going down. The Delco Generator can't do that.
Attachments:

Re:Generator for 1966 80 HP Johnson 13 years 6 months ago #18319

Thank you all for the information. I am a little intimidated by the thought of trading out fly wheels, but I may just end up doing that. I currently do have two 1967 spare motors a 1967 Johnson 60 HP mechanical shift model VXL-13A Serial # J2833999 that I have started tearing down; and a 1967 Evinrude 80HP electric shift (just got) that is all together (condition unknown) model 80793R Seriel # E033756.

At this point I have a generator, the gear on top of the generator, an AMP meter, and two 1967 V4's. The 1966 Johnson 80 HP motor runs great without generating any power and I only use it weekends daylight hours, boat does not leak so no bilge pump etc.

The info you provided on the generator was as I suspected. I have not seen one specifically for the 80 HP, only the smaller HP. The model numbers on the generator itself do not seem to have significance.

Re:Generator for 1966 80 HP Johnson 13 years 6 months ago #18489

I'm confident that you can tackle it, as long as you use the correct tools in the way the are designed to be used. Pulling a flywheel is pretty easy with a gear puller. You can do it.

If you happen to part out any of those 1967 V4 engines, I'm always looking to purchase a couple extra parts. I'm looking for the Top bearing cap, Stator coil, flywhel, flywheel guard. These parts would only be from a 1967 V4 motor with a flywheel charging system

Re:Generator for 1966 80 HP Johnson 13 years 4 months ago #22435

Just an update on my generator question. I have recently purchased a 1966 40 HP Johnson that came complete with generator(not sure it works),belt, junction box with deeper front cover, and wiring. I am still short the gear/pully that goes under the flywheel (the 40 HP has a gear/pully on top of the flywheel. I now have two generators should I sell one on ebay or keep as backup? (Prestolite GJG 4008M and Autolite GJG 4003M 12V) How can I tell if they work, is there a test?

Still undecided if I should use the '67 stator approach or go with the original generator approach.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)