• Page:

TOPIC: Is it ok to use engine cleaner spray on a outboard

Is it ok to use engine cleaner spray on a outboard 13 years 7 months ago #15496

• clk27us
  • clk27us's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
JUst wondering if its safe to use a engine cleaner degreaser spray on a outboard motor. would U take the same precations as when cleaning a car engine (ie covering the carb, rinse off with a light spray)Thx.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Is it ok to use engine cleaner spray on a outboard 13 years 7 months ago #15505

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You can, but I prefer brake parts cleaner. It leaves everything film free, just mop up what's left laying in the cowling quickly. This eliminates the need for rinsing with water. (Why give rust the head start?) I wouldn't open the butterflies of the carb and spay it inside, but covering them is not necessary this way either.

Mark

Re:Is it ok to use engine cleaner spray on a outboard 13 years 7 months ago #15511

Dollar-Store oven cleaner works well also.. Just keep it away from polished aluminum.

Re:Is it ok to use engine cleaner spray on a outboard 13 years 7 months ago #15518

If you are speaking of the spray on, rinse off type cleaner like GUNK, then yes, you can use that. I've used it on many motors over the years without a problem. Agitating it on tough areas with a parts brush helps. As you surmised, keeping water out of some areas is a good idea (carb, electric starter, etc.). Brake cleaner can remove decals and some paints if you're not careful...

Re:Is it ok to use engine cleaner spray on a outboard 13 years 7 months ago #15538

• clk27us
  • clk27us's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thx everyone. Time to start cleaning things up.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6084 guests and no members online