Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1978 Johnson, 85hp V4 gas tank question...

1978 Johnson, 85hp V4 gas tank question... 3 years 4 months ago #143733

• deac1234
  • deac1234's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have the above motor and need a 6 gallon tank. My boat currently has a 19 gallon tank and the fuel line is hard plumbed directly into it. I prefer to go back to the OEM look.

My question is, what type of fitting/tank should I be looking for? I've seen a few tanks available online BUT I really can't tell what the gas line fitting looks like and there seems to be differences..? I want a tank with a built in fuel gauge..

So what I need to know is how can I make this work?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1978 Johnson, 85hp V4 gas tank question... 3 years 4 months ago #143737

I'm a bit confused by what you're asking but I'll try to answer.
All OMC engines use the same fuel line fitting from 1958 and newer. Only difference was 5/16 or 3/8 hose.
I assume your built in tank still uses the quick disconnect at the engine. In other words, no one has bastardized the fuel connection at the engine.
If you can locate a used, not rusted OMC 6 gallon metal tank that is what I would use. In my area, $25 to $35 price range.
OMC went to plastic tanks in 1988 if I remember correctly. Eventually the fuel connector assembly on the top of these tanks crack.
About 2010 the EPA got involved. Tank and fuel line priced went way up. Current BRP/OMC tank & fuel lines are some of the best quantity available but will set you back nearly $200. Attwood tanks & lines are junk, Sierra fuel lines OK but not great. Aftermarket tanks will have a 1/4 NPT fitting that you will need to install a hose barb & permanently attach the line or install a quick disconnect if you want the line removable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7522 guests and 2 members online