Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '57 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin Service Manual

'57 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin Service Manual 4 years 7 months ago #140969

Hello friends. I picked up this '57 Fastwin (18hp) motor for free a couple of weeks ago. It turns over, and seems to have compression. That is good. I have not worked on these old motors before, but since it was free, and I need a nice motor for my Feather Craft Rocket, I am going to make it my winter project. I have ordered a couple of books regarding old outboard motor repair. That should get me started. I plan on rebuilding the carb, and possibly replacing the coils, condenser/points etc.

What I am really looking for is a copy of the actual service manual for this motor. I am looking at the one offered in the library section of this website but it seems very abbreviated and it does not offer part numbers. Does the actual service manual for this motor have more details? For instance, I need to order a replacement gasket (from Siera?) for the lower unit oil drains. But I need a part number right? My engine model number is: 15020 or 15021.

Does anyone have a copy they can email or mail to me?

Thank you. Andrew
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'57 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin Service Manual 4 years 6 months ago #141024

If yours is short-shaft, no electric start, these should be the right parts diagrams (Evinrude & Johnson are the same under the hood):
www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1957&hp=18&model=FD-11

Asking on the AOMCI "Ask A Member" forum may get you scans of the original parts diagram:
aomci.org/resources/ask-a-member/

I got started working on OMC outboards by reading these articles:
www.omc-boats.org/maxw.html

boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html#/0
is the factory service manual from Johnson

'57 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin Service Manual 4 years 6 months ago #141025

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Here ya go....
boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manuals/1955evinrude15hp.html
the 18 should be very similar if not exact to the 15.
Put that site on your favorites for more reference.

'57 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin Service Manual 4 years 6 months ago #141079

Thank you for the links on the manuals. This helps.

So I have another question:

The motor appears to have been electric start originally. I say this because there is the armature for an electric starter and it has an electric choke solenoid. So my question is this: When cleaning/rebuilding the carburetor, can I remove the solenoid? It appears to be unserviceable. What does it actually do? I cannot find much about the electric start version of this motor on line. Will the motor run without the solenoid? I do not plan on replacing the starter motor and would like to keep it as a manual start. Is this possible? Thank you.

'57 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin Service Manual 4 years 6 months ago #141080

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
The solenoid, when energized, pulls on the choke linkage to shut the choke butterfly. The manual choke will still work, with or without the choke solenoid in place. You should be able to remove the solenoid and any attached linkage, leaving the parts that will allow the manual choke to still work.

Since you're not gonna use the electric start feature, you can remove the starter motor & bracket entirely (if it's still mounted on the powerhead). It'll save a bit of weight when packing the outboard around.

You need neither the electric starter motor or choke solenoid to make the motor run, the ign coils under the flywheel will take care of all spark needs, and arm-power takes care of starting the Beast!

HTH........ed

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5949 guests and no members online